Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Overdue...... and baby not engaged!!

(7 Posts)
luthe Sun 19-Jul-09 00:20:30

Im 41+4 days with my First Baby! im really beginning to stress now that the baby will not engage, we have tried nearly everything, walking miles, bouncing on ball, swimmming, pineapple, rasberry leaf tea and nothing has worked! at 38 weeks i was 3/5ths engaged now im only 4/5ths! Ive had 2 sweeps and am 2cm dilated and 1cm long! Nothing seems to be happening at all, im getting induced on Wed and really want to start labour naturally! Has this happened to anyone else, or does any one have a story similar or any positive comments?Ive been getting really worried and tearful and really want a sign that baby will be coming into the word soon!

SheWillBeLoved Sun 19-Jul-09 00:29:39

My sisters baby didn't engage... at all, until her waters broke. Then he dropped into place and she had him within hours of going into labour

twoplusone Sun 19-Jul-09 13:40:38

Hi, My DS1 didnt engage until I was 10cm dilated. HTH.x

l39 Sun 19-Jul-09 14:16:09

My eldest didn't engage. When I saw my consultant at 4 days overdue (a Thursday) he decided there wasn't enough room in my pelvis for her to engage due to my height (4ft 11) and booked me in for a caesarean on Monday.

She was born naturally Sunday lunchtime, weighing over 8lb, with no need for forceps, ventouse or anything else. That stupid man left me feeling I was unable to give birth naturally and he was totally wrong.

I still bear a grudge and this was in 1992!

Why won't they leave you until at least 42 weeks? I'm so sorry that they are still terrifying people whose babies haven't engaged, they should have learned better by now.

CarGirl Sun 19-Jul-09 14:19:48

2cm dilated and 1cm long is a very good sign for your first!!!!!

I was 1cm dilated (nowt else) at 42 weeks with my 4th dc 6 paiful hours after my induction pessary! I was 1cm dilated before I'd even got pregnant!!!!

3 days is quite a while to get things moving along. Keep calm (easier said than done I know!)

nappyaddict Wed 22-Jul-09 19:17:30

Have you had a sweep?

cheshirekitty Wed 22-Jul-09 19:29:25

Delivered loads of babes who where not engaged on commencement of labour. Once the waters broke (naturally) down would come the babies head.

Listen to your body - it knows what it is doing. Enjoy this special time in your life. It is a wonderful experience bringing new life into the world.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now