Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Measuring 2 weeks bigger, does that mean baby 2 weeks further on, or just big?

(13 Posts)
Confuzzeled Sat 18-Jul-09 14:10:22

Early scans and dates all matched up. Then at 20 weeks I started to get bigger. Since about 24 weeks I've been measuring just over 2 weeks bigger. I had a private scan at 27 weeks and they said baby was measuring 2 weeks bigger as well.

I had a scare 3 weeks ago when light contractions started but stopped after 2 days. The midwives said it wasn't a problem because baby was big and if he did arrive then it would be okay.

So I'm 35 weeks today, does that mean my baby is as developed as he would be at 37 weeks or does it just mean he's a bit bigger.

I was 9 days late with my dd (now 2yo) and she measured almost perfectly all the way through (8.1 when she arrived).

I just feel like baby has moved right down into my pelvis. I feel like I want him out NOW NOW NOW, which is how I felt with dd when I was about 39 weeks.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 18-Jul-09 14:14:51

Quite often it means nothing at all or it could mean you have extra fluid.

Confuzzeled Sat 18-Jul-09 14:25:00

Yeah, the midwife suspected it was extra fluid. But then I had the private scan and they said it was baby that was measuring bigger, that was why I was hoping he'd come a bit early

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 18-Jul-09 14:26:10

But not yet.

Confuzzeled Sat 18-Jul-09 14:32:05

No grin not yet, 37 weeks would be perfect.

Knowing my luck he'll go to 42 weeks and arrive a toddler.

greenbeanie Sat 18-Jul-09 22:49:00

I measured 5 weeks bigger than my dates for both dc. They weighed in at 9lb 15 (born at 39 weeks) and 10lb7 (born at 40 weeks). So it could mean big babies, I had no extra fluid.

Ninjacat Sat 18-Jul-09 22:53:20

At 19wks I measured 2wks bigger. MW said babies grow at different rates after 12wks so not an accurate dating.

Confuzzeled Sun 19-Jul-09 07:37:38

Greenbeanie, wow big babies

StealthPolarBear Sun 19-Jul-09 07:49:13

I've always wondered something similar with non-prem but not quite term babies
If a baby arrives at say 39 weeks is it that the dates were out by a week? or is it just that for whatever reason the baby came early?
or am i splitting hairs?
Last pg I felt that they'd got my edd early by one week - DS was 4 days 'late'. This time I think it's the other way round, so expecting this baby to arrive up to a week early.
I suppose what I'm asking is, is fertilisation of egg --> birth time set in stone for non premature babies?

StealthPolarBear Sun 19-Jul-09 07:49:51

actually no, if that was the case then the majority of IVF babies would arrive on their due date

Confuzzeled Sun 19-Jul-09 09:16:57

But if I went into labour at 35 weeks would baby be considered prem if I was measuring 37 weeks? Would I be aloud a water birth and would they give me steroids?

neolara Sun 19-Jul-09 14:59:58

If you went into labour at 35 weeks I'm pretty sure he / she would be considered pre-term.

My last ds was born at 37 + 0 and was 8ob 10oz. He measured big at the 20 week scan but I knew with absolute certainty (bar an immaculate conception!) when he was conceived. I think he "behaved" like a pre-term baby e.g. he smiled at 9 weeks not the normal 6 weeks, he had some difficuly breathing when he was born (more common in early babies apparently), he got into some kind of sleeping pattern about a month later than most of his immediate peers etc.

I am now 33 weeks pregnant and this one also measured 2 weeks ahead at the 20 week scan. If I go into labour before 37 weeks I definitely want it to be treated as a prem birth. That way the staff will be properly prepared in case anything goes wrong.

loisstella Sun 19-Jul-09 15:31:26

I was told at a scan when I was 36 weeks I had a very big baby 7.10 and that if I went full term the baby would be almost certainly 10 pounds.
My daughter was born at 41+5 (I was petrified thinking I would deliver a todler) and she was a delightful 7.7 pounds....
These scans (and mine was in a private barley street clinic - so 'fancier' equipment) are not always as accurate as you'd expect!

Another story - if your baby IS big - a friend of mine just delivered her first baby 10.2 - full birth (contraction to birth) was 6,5 hours - without any trouble!
Try not to stress too much (easier said then done... I know)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now