Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

So do I have a baked in the box camembert this afternoon?

(13 Posts)
Thandeka Sat 18-Jul-09 10:11:10

In my continuation of only eating yellow food (morning sickness means foods of other colours get thrown up again) I have a real craving for a baked in the box camembert with crusty bread the speciality of this pub I am going to this arvo. Now I know that since its baked it should be okay but I know it doesn't always come as hot as it should- so potentially not all bacteria have been anniliated. Hmmmmm.

Would you risk it?

(am 11 weeks pregnant with my first but last pregnancy ended in MMC at 10 weeks so am a bit paranoid)

Helennn Sat 18-Jul-09 10:18:04

No, sorry, I wouldn't risk it. It would surely be more warmed than heated enough to kill bacteria. I know of someone who late miscarried (7 months), through food poisoning from eating brie, so I don't think its worth the risk.

Longtalljosie Sat 18-Jul-09 10:35:34

Yeah, I wouldn't either. Sorry.

Thandeka Sat 18-Jul-09 10:37:41

sniff- back to the yellow bowl of chips then.

god i can't wait til this yellow food phase is over!

MustHaveaVeryShortMemory Sat 18-Jul-09 10:40:37

If they serve it bubbling hot I would have it.

Thandeka Sat 18-Jul-09 10:43:33

yeah i was vaguely thinking about asking them to bake it to death (they are usually very amenable to requests) but didnt want to seem precious- plus being 11 weeks means i dont nec want to mention it to the world and his wife just yet!

ruddynorah Sat 18-Jul-09 10:45:14

i'd just tell them to bake it a bit longer for you. and i'd ask if it was pasteurised cos it may be.

Thandeka Sat 18-Jul-09 10:46:47

so if its pasteurised does that mean it should be fine anyhow?

shootfromthehip Sat 18-Jul-09 10:48:29

I had the worst food poisoning of my life from camembert years ago. It's wasn't hot but I don't think you should risk it- sorry I know how rubbish it is sad

shootfromthehip Sat 18-Jul-09 10:49:01

it wasn't hot- meh

Thandeka Sat 18-Jul-09 10:50:50

oooh i know i can have their brownie and icecream instead- thats another fave and will cheer me up. sniff- all i think of is that melted cheese lovliness- the second this baby is out i am going to have a bath in camembert and no-one can stop me!

Longtalljosie Sat 18-Jul-09 10:57:31

No, even if it's pasteurised, if it's runny cheese it still isn't safe. Because while it's safe five minutes after being pasteurised, it's the runny environment which allows the bugs to grow.

This was laid out very clearly on the NHS choices website, but they seem to have revamped it - and taken about half the content out hmm

trixymalixy Sat 18-Jul-09 11:10:02

As long as it's hot it should be fine.

I had this loads in the restaurant near my work and at home when I was pregnant to satisfy my craving for nice cheese. Just ask them to make sure it is really bubbling hot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now