Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Elective section booked in for approx 2pm, do I really need to be Nil By Mouth from 2am?

(14 Posts)
suwoo Fri 17-Jul-09 16:43:14

Could I not have a teeny weeny piece of toast at say 6am?

What happens to the ladies who have eaten through labour and ended up with a c section, they haven't been NBM?

I had to have a general anaesthetic after DD's birth and I had already eaten my toast. They gave me a special drink <<boak>> and constricted my throat as I went under. So I know its possible to eat and have GA.

So would I be foolish to have a small snack 8 hours before my op? (spinal anaesthesia anticipated, not GA)

gonaenodaethat Fri 17-Jul-09 16:46:02

I wouldn't. Why take the risk?

mumbot Fri 17-Jul-09 16:46:05

It's best to confirm with the labour ward. You could also ask them about sucking glucose sweets as these may keep your energy levels up.

If not, pre-order that pizza for 2am

Good luck!

sweetfall Fri 17-Jul-09 16:46:54

yes you would

just follow the rules they're there for the outside chance that you might be someone who reacts badly

gawd you won't actually be starving will you?

mosschops30 Fri 17-Jul-09 16:49:52

No you cant eat anything. And certainly no to sweets!!

Its very frustrating for patients, especially those who have been starved from 12 midnight and then are last on the list for operating say at 4pm, when they could in theory have had a light breakfast, but if things get moved around, and patients get cancelled then that last patient can often end up being the first IYKWIM

Women who have emergency c sections will have their anaesthetic induced in a different way to reduce reflux of stomach contents, however its not ideal, carries some tisk and therefore only done in emergency situations.

hobbgoblin Fri 17-Jul-09 16:53:53

God, you really musn't. Again it is risk management. With those who have EmCS then the risk of waiting for that last Hob Knob to go down is obviously outweighted by potential risks to baby and mother at the time. That doesn't mean there is no risk!

Good Luck!

suwoo Fri 17-Jul-09 16:53:54

Sweetfall, yes I will be bloody starving grin I'm pregnant dontcha know wink.

I will be someone who reacts badly, I have reacted very badly to any anaesthetic I have ever had.

Point taken. Will not eat.

I thankyou.

sweetfall Fri 17-Jul-09 18:41:53

No you won't - my last section I was due in at 7.30am and didn't have it till 5pm

<competitive sectioning grin>

suwoo Fri 17-Jul-09 21:03:44

Sorry can beat that by a mile grin. With DS I went in for a section on the Monday and had him on Wednesday at 4pm ish. So there
<<sticks tongue out>>

This time, the consultant has assured me that that won't happen as there are now two theatres for electives and two or possibly more? for emergencies.

Now, you can see why I am worried about being nil by mouth. Oh well, it will kick start my weight loss.

MrsPickles Sat 18-Jul-09 23:40:35

its hideous to laugh or get hiccups with c-section recovery, I wldn't want to be throwing up with it, so I wouldn't!!

expatinscotland Sat 18-Jul-09 23:47:27

what about a little bit of water?

i've had that before GA.

of course, i lied and said i hadn't.

expatinscotland Sat 18-Jul-09 23:54:05

it wasn't intentional. i got in the shower and automatically opened my mouth to swallow some water as am thirsty when i wake up.

didn't have my GA till about 5AM and this was around 6AM, though.

no food, though. too keyed up and nervous.

suwoo Sun 19-Jul-09 09:00:28

I'm not having a general though, thats why I didn't understand the nil by mouth. I was sick after my last section MrsP and opened some stitches so I know whats its like. I will listen to everyone though and not eat- but I may have a few sips of water.

mosschops30 Sun 19-Jul-09 12:19:39

a few sips of water is usually fine, people often take tablets with a drop of water before surgery.
Regardless of whether youre having a GA, the possibility is there, so they are preparing for that, nothing worse than the epidural/spinal failing and then not being able to give you a GA because youd eaten smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now