Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How do you manage with feeling rough and looking after a toddler

(16 Posts)
dizzymare Fri 17-Jul-09 12:17:02

I feel dreadful today, really tired, I have an awful headache which isn't helping the sick feeling, and a ds who is hyper. How do others cope with a hyer toddler, when all you want to do is slink off to bed and pull the duvet up high.

AramintaCane Fri 17-Jul-09 12:35:03

T.V while you lie on the sofa ?
or maybe put him in a bath to play while you sit on the floor in there.
sad hope you feel better soon.

Sheeta Fri 17-Jul-09 12:37:36

Cbeebies (although you'll probably want to smother Alex and Kerrie by 3pm)

New toys or ones that have been in a box for a while.

Scatter raisins on the floor, let them have a picnic for lunch.

Sheeta Fri 17-Jul-09 12:38:29

Cerrie, sorry.

and I don't really scatter food on the floor for my toddler - they just end up there. grin

Oh yes... take as many drugs as safe to do so!

Get well soon x

Woooozle100 Fri 17-Jul-09 12:38:32

-tv
-desperate attempts at turning lying on the sofa into a game (wanna play duvet bears with mommy?)
- desperate attempts to offload dc onto mother, friend, mil
- desperate realisation that you can't be ill when yr a mom. Ever

sorry you feel cack

Woooozle100 Fri 17-Jul-09 12:38:33

-tv
-desperate attempts at turning lying on the sofa into a game (wanna play duvet bears with mommy?)
- desperate attempts to offload dc onto mother, friend, mil
- desperate realisation that you can't be ill when yr a mom. Ever

sorry you feel cack

Noonki Fri 17-Jul-09 12:50:13

I looked after my two as toddlers with ME so everyday felt like shit!

my top tips are:

1. putting toys away then bringing them out when feeling rough.
2. having boxes of stuff like playdough, then you can take out, leave them to it and then pack it easily away
3.not too much tv as the more the watch the worse they are at playing by themselves
4. water painting in the garden...hours of playing no mess, great.
5. getting a friend with a dc the same age to have them for a few hours then repaying the favour when feeling better or babysitting

hope you feeling better soon

wasabipeanut Fri 17-Jul-09 14:13:08

Cbeebies/Barney

Break the day into chunks - before and after nap and make sure you nap when they do. Sod the housework.

Have you got friends/family who can give you a bit of a break?

sunburntats Fri 17-Jul-09 14:16:53

paracetamol or the like.

sofa, cbeebies or dvd.

walk around the block or to the park..fresh air for both you & ds.

tough it out counting down the hours till bed time.

if you dont have any one who could take him off your hands (i never did) then have a quiet sofa day.

itsalwaysthequietones Fri 17-Jul-09 14:24:00

dizzy - can completely sympathise. Haven't really got MS, just mild nausea but feel completely and utterly knackered and headaches and dizziness v common. Mornings are a real struggle. How far along are you?

The only thing I can suggest is doing things really, really slowly. I know that sounds stupid but I really rush around most of the time and I have to keep reminding myself that I don't need to when I feel this rough. Otherwise:
- don't worry if you seem to be giving DS/DD the same food almost every meal time (they'll survive)
- get out for short, v slow walks with pram where possible
- do what everyone else has suggested

stripes200 Fri 17-Jul-09 14:29:36

As all the others have said TV/DVDs and Videos.

You can try playing doctors. You are the sick patient and have lie down on the sofa with a blanket and DC have to make you better by taking your temp, administering medicine etc.

Gets you a lie down for a while.

dizzymare Fri 17-Jul-09 15:58:36

I'm 11weeks 6 days, and due next feb.
Thanks for all your tips, and when I can gather some omph I'm going to sort out his toys and make some disappear for a while. That's a great tip, I wouldn't have thought of that, I'd have just brought more to entertain himblush
You've given me loads to try, thank yousmile

lazylion Fri 17-Jul-09 18:56:01

Try exhausting him in the morning (in the park maybe), then have nap time and Cbeebies in the afternoon. I turn my lounge into a bedroom (duvets, pillows), close curtains and put the TV on. I have been getting an hour or so of sleep every day and my two have got used to the routine (they are 2 and 4 and both hard work). You are at a difficult stage, the exhausion does seem to lift a bit after about 14 weeks. Good luck, hope you feel better.

laurawantsababy Fri 17-Jul-09 19:50:31

I have a 1yo and have been feeling awful recently. Is your lo happy to play on his own? Dd will play on her own so I snooze on the sofa and wake as soon as she makes a noise or hits me on the nose!

Also, Cbeebies is fab smile

dizzymare Fri 17-Jul-09 20:39:01

He'll sit and look at books for ages chatting away to himself, but gets in far too much mischief if I take my eyes of him hmmso me even closing my eyes whilst he's up isn't a good idea. I once fell asleep accidently to find he'd put a load of those play balls down the loo plus a load of paperblush

alana39 Fri 17-Jul-09 21:08:29

As someone else suggested, playing patient when allowed. DS1 used to get the magnetic letters, or other small toys, and make me spill them down my front (like sick) so he could clean me up and make me better with leaf soup (imaginary, thankfully). Has taken up half an hour here and there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now