Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Am 27 weeks and Dr has told me I mustn't gain any weight during pregnancy

(35 Posts)
hackneybird Thu 16-Jul-09 14:31:19

I’m 27 weeks pg. Last week at an ante natal appt I saw a doctor rather than a MW as the MWs were so busy the docs were helping out and seeing their patients. According to my booking in appt I have a BMI of 28, which places me in the ‘overweight’ category. I’m 5’3” and 10.5 stone so I know I need to lose some pounds but I’ve never been that worried about it.

Anyway, due to my BMI the Dr says I mustn’t put on ANY weight during this pregnancy – perhaps 1 or 2kgs would be acceptable. I haven’t been weighed again since booking in so I don’t know whether I have gained weight or not. I know that ‘eating for two’ during pregnancy is nonsense and that I should still take care to eat well, which I am doing, but I also thought that some weight gain would be inevitable, due to bump and body’s need to store fat for breast feeding.

I’ve had a very easy and straightforward pregnancy up until now and I have really enjoyed it, but now I am anxious and a bit stressed about it.

Anyone else had this experience?

SheWillBeLoved Thu 16-Jul-09 14:38:11

Tell him not to be so bloody stupid and unrealistic. He should be offering advice on how to eat healthily, rather than scaring you into not putting on ANY weight which just will not happen no matter how much you starve yourself.

Don't listen to him. Continue to eat healthily, don't overeat, and enjoy your pregnancy.

McSnail Thu 16-Jul-09 14:38:38

No - but I fail to see how you're going to avoid putting on extra weight during pregnancy... hmm

Try not to worry. Eat as healthily as you can, and bring it up with your midwife to say what she says at your next MW appt.

McSnail Thu 16-Jul-09 14:39:09

to SEE what she says.

ceebie Thu 16-Jul-09 14:42:07

Whilst I haven't been through the same experience, my view is that the main concern is that you and your baby are happy and healthy. Eat well and try to do some exercise most days (walking/swimming) but don't focus on your weight and don't worry about it, I say! Surely it's not as if you're so massively overweight that it is posing a health risk to you and your baby - you are only overweight, not morbidly obese or something?!!!!

TheCrackFox Thu 16-Jul-09 14:45:30

The doctor is a loon. It would be impossible not to put any weight on as your baby will gain - a normal baby plus placenta weighs over a stone. In effect he is asking you to lose weight. Speak to your MW.

alarkaspree Thu 16-Jul-09 14:46:03

Has the doctor ever seen a pregnant woman before? What a ridiculous and frankly dangerous thing for him to say. Of course you will gain weight, there is a growing baby inside you! Tell your midwife next time you see her so that she can make sure this GP doesn't see any more of her patients.

My weight and height are very similar to yours and nobody ever suggested during my two pregnancies that it was the slightest problem.

StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jul-09 14:48:29

erm my BMI is 29 and my MW didn't give it a second comment - when I asked about it being overweight she said something along the lines of yes it is, but it's not considered a risk factor in pg unless you're over 30.
I didn't put on much weight last time as I was so sick to begin with, but I did! This time I've had less sickness and the urge to eat like a gannet, I dread to think how much I've put on. MW still not concerned - in fact after the first time I've never been weighed.

Gidders Thu 16-Jul-09 14:50:45

I make your bmi to be 26 anyway, which is only just overweight. He is an idiot.

Sparklytwinkletoes Thu 16-Jul-09 14:50:56

I don't know if it makes you feel any better, but I'm an inch taller than you but several stones heavier. I specifically asked about my weight and both MW and Consultants have said it is not an issue. My BMI is higher than yours.

Further, as others have said, its impossible not to put on some weight during pregnancy! I just try not to see it as an excuse to eat any old crap (hides box of chocolates smile)

PrettyCandles Thu 16-Jul-09 14:55:44

Ah what nonsense!

I have had BMIs of 35-39 at the begining of each of my pregnancies, put on between 2 and 2.5 stone each time, had good BP throughout, normal pregnancies, normal labours, and big healthy babies at the end.

What's more, I was never weighed again after my checking-in visit.

You eat sensibly, enjoy your food, and you put on what you put on.

By the end of the pregnancy the baby, fluid and increased uterus together weigh about 1 stone, and your blood volume also increases. So if you did not put on at least 1 stone over the course of the pregnancy, it would mean you had actually lost weight.

mrswee Thu 16-Jul-09 16:56:54

My BMI was 35 when I got pregnant, and I have mentioned my concerns about my BMI probably now being higher a couple of times to both my doctor and MW, both just shrugged and said, yes but you are pregnant now so you will out on a bit of weight, don't worry about it you are having a healthy pregnancy.

They have not re weighed me or had any concerns. They said they are only really concerned and monitor womnen when they start pregnancy at a BMI over 40.

Don't worry about it, it's pure nonsense!
It is pretty much impossible not to gain even a little weight while pregnant unless you have bad morning sickness or are put on a gestational diabetes low sugar diet. Our bodies store up a bit extra to get us through breat feeding... or so my docotr and midwife both say (both female and parents!)

whatsthetimemrwolf Thu 16-Jul-09 17:41:27

Just a thought but could your doctor have measured you incorrectly, hence the attitude to weight gain?

I was pregnant in April and at my booking in appointment my m/w basically told me off as my BMI was in the overweight category. This really played on my mind as I knew I could have done with losing some weight but didn't think it was a major issue. Anyhow since then I had a MMC and am pregnant again. I had another booking in appointment yesterday and my BMI was normal, somehow my M/W had managed to measure my weight & height totally wrong (5kg out!).

loganberry12 Thu 16-Jul-09 17:47:19

What your doctor has said is totally unrealitic and a load of rubbish, just eat healthily and enjoy your pregnancy.

The breakdown of what makes up the most of the weight gain after nine months can be seen below:

the baby accounts for about 7 pounds (3.1 Kg),
the placenta is about 2 pounds (0.9 Kg),
the amniotic fluid is another 2.2 pounds (1 Kg),
the enlarged uterus is 2 pounds (0.9 Kg)
the extra retained fluids, body fats and enlarged breasts make up the other 16 pounds or so (7.2 Kg).
This all adds up to about 29 pounds (13.3 Kg)
congratulations hun and have a happy pregnancy

hackneybird Thu 16-Jul-09 23:20:05

Thanks all, I feel much better now.

I was wondering whether I should be going on a diet in order to counteract baby related weight gain!

I've been trying to be good and have been doing plenty of walking and yoga and have been eating well (except for chocolate in lieu of wine) all through the pregancy and don't actually feel like I have gained a great deal.

I will indeed mention to my MW though. This Dr was young and female btw. I wonder if she was just inexperienced.

StealthPolarBear Fri 17-Jul-09 09:32:38

"They said they are only really concerned and monitor womnen when they start pregnancy at a BMI over 40."
Didn't realise that, sorry. The over 30 thing I mention in my post was probably around having a glucose tolerance test as standard now I think about it - and that might be a local thing.
OP - definitely mention it! You sounds sensible, but someone less confident or with issues around their weight could take it really seriously and do some damage If you don't mind me asking, if you're under the care of a MW, why was the GP doing these tests?

roulade Fri 17-Jul-09 09:36:47

I checked your BMI on NHS site ( didn't check your age just put in 30!) and you came out at 25.3 which is .3 above average so doctor must have measured you wrong!!!

anniemac Fri 17-Jul-09 10:56:54

Message withdrawn

Treats Fri 17-Jul-09 11:25:45

Am relieved to see so many people disproving the OP's BMI. I'm 5' 3" and 10 stone 1 lb and have always reassured myself that my BMI is 25 and therefore just about OK. Was a bit shock to read that you get a BMI of 28 from being just 6 pounds heavier..... (I think that's right - was only taught metric measurements at school but always think of weight and height the old fashioned way!)

Don't want to encourage anyone to obsess about their weight, but there's an interesting article on this website about 'normal' levels of weight gain.

Not to pick holes, hackneybird, but I don't know why the doctor being female should have been a factor in her giving you wrong advice. Young and inexperienced, maybe, but I think male doctors are equally capable of making mistakes........

JemL Fri 17-Jul-09 14:28:00

I'm almost exactly the same size as you, and would be horrified if I was told this. I put on nearly 3 stone with DS, which I gradually lost after he was born. I can't imagine for one minute that it would be possible for you to not put on any weight at all.

My midwife did say to me that overweight - and I mean medically obese - women often lose weight in pregnancy becuase they change their eating habits. She said the rule of thumb is, if you are underweight you gain 3 stone, if you are normal, you gain 2 stone, and if you are overweight 1 stone (because of the aforementioned weight loss)

I think you should discuss this with your midwife, she will probably be horrified!!

bevlin Fri 17-Jul-09 15:54:48

Oh god, it's so hard though isn't it. Im 5'2 and before my DS was always around 9stone. When PG I put on 3.5 stone, had high blood pressure, swolen everything and couldn't walk the length of myself by 30 weeks, it was so uncomfortable and took a year before I settled for 9.6 stone. I SWORE i would not make the same mistake 2nd time around and here I am, 15 weeks and eating like a scaffolder! Im just SOOOOOO hungry and even more bored, there's no wine in my life, no nights out with the girls, hardly any excercise therefore....there is food! I am spending more time in coffee shops, not good, sitting in on saturday nights eating take aways, kettle chips, ice cream, I know what's going to happen but can I stop myself, nope, only a single shot to the head with a rifle would do that. Any tips would be appreciated!

Clarity2005 Fri 17-Jul-09 16:33:20

HackneyBird

That's utter twaddle from your doctor, don't take any notice!

I had a booking BMI of over 40 (despite being nearly 5stone lighter then when I had DC1) , and am now 38 weeks pregnant and can vouch for aside from being prodded and poked a bit more for gestational diabetes (all clear) nothing else has been an issue. I have never been weighed since my initial booking weight and the MW was not overly concerned, yes I have to see a consultant because of the increased BMI but he hasnt done anything except stick a big red label in my notes saying I have to be assessed by the anesthetist upon admitting to hositol incase I need an epidural. I was almost upset that I havent been weighed since the begining as I have only gained just over a stone! lol

Typical, but all in all dont worry my dear, the doctor is wrong and just worry on having healthy pregnancy, and rest assured some of us manage to have children whilst being much bigger lol

mrsbean78 Fri 17-Jul-09 17:28:47

Hi

My BMI was 26.5 at booking. I've been keeping a strict eye on my weight as I have back probs/asthma. I've been using:

http://www.thebabycorner.com/tools/pregnancy/calculators/weightcalculator.php

I am 22 weeks now and have been entering my weight every week. Up until this week, I have been exactly on target for an overweight lady using this calculator. This week I am a pound over blush as I seem to have developed a ravenous hunger that cannot be controlled!

I am hoping to stick to the weight gain limits but as you can see, you are EXPECTED even if quite overweight to gain 15-25lbs. I have gained 11 - 12 lbs at 22 weeks (a lot this week as I must be having a growth spurt!)

sockmonster Fri 17-Jul-09 20:19:10

You do not have a BMI of 28!! 10.5 stone is not a lot at all!!! I started last pregnancy at 10 and ended up 13, but went down to size 8/10 afterwards after I breastfed.

Ignore him! Your BMI is 25-6 which is absolutely fine!

SPANIEL Tue 21-Jul-09 10:50:15

Really glad i read this thread. I had a booking in BMI of 39 and the midwife made me feel so crap i was starting to wonder if i should be considering a termination. I had an appointment with the consultant last week who was lovely and said that if i didn't have any problems with DD 3 and am fine now they don't need to see me again. I have had a letter saying that if BMI is over 40 i have to see anaesthetist while pregnant or if it's over 35 i can choose if i want to see one. I now can't decide what to do as i don't know whether the anaesthetist will act the same way as the midwife or the same as the consultant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now