Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What have you heard about swine flu and pregnancy?

(18 Posts)
MarshaBrady Thu 16-Jul-09 10:19:54

Saw in the Australian press today they are urging pregnant women to stay home, as there are 11 in intensive care.

Nursery manager told me that they had been informed (by some health authority, not sure which) that the risk was not greater for pregnant women, and ok to keep ds there. We are in SE London many cases in the schools around here, not ds nursery yet though.

Have you been given any information and are you changing anything?

HollyBunda Thu 16-Jul-09 10:24:24

I'm pregnant and my dd was ill last week, swine flu in her school (we're in se london). I called the doc to find out if I should do anything and she said to keep up with my hygiene and to call immediately if I have any symptoms with a fever of 38 or above.
So far, I am fine. I have been washing my hands a lot and getting the kids to do the same, but there's not much more you can do is there?

Pinkjenny Thu 16-Jul-09 10:25:17

I understand that pregnant women are 'high risk' due to the high temperatures associated with flu. I'm not doing anything any differently though, I'm not sure what I can do to avoid it, to be honest.

Thandeka Thu 16-Jul-09 10:27:29

I'm 11 weeks and have been sent home from work (teacher) until end of term because of swine flu- has just hit our school. All pregnant women have been sent home.

My doc says you need to be within a metre of someone with SF for over an hour really in order to get it.

flowerybeanbag Thu 16-Jul-09 10:27:41

My nanny's little boy had a case in his school. I popped along to the surgery to ask about how concerned I should be and they whisked me in to see the doctor.

She said that unless and until I come into contact with anyone with symptoms, I should go about my daily life as normal. So I have been. Nanny's little boy didn't catch anything anyway and I was more worried about the woman sat next to me on the tube the other day who spent the entire journey coughing and sneezing...hmm

wasabipeanut Thu 16-Jul-09 10:40:22

I am 11 and a half weeks and my midwife told me yesterday to just be vigilant re handwashing and the like, keep a close eye on my 22mo DS bit other than that not to worry.

She said the key thing to look for was the temperature of 38. If that happens I should contact GP immediately and they should arrange swabbing. Pregnant women can't take Tamiflu but there is an alternative we can take apparently.

My DH works in London so between him and DS's nursery and playgroup sessions there ain't much I can do.

MarshaBrady Thu 16-Jul-09 10:45:05

ok pretty much same as what I have heard.

Except for when I read
this
wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Actually it's winter over there so maybe worse. It is alot stronger message than I have had over here.

wasabipeanut Thu 16-Jul-09 10:49:38

Bloody hell that is a strong message.

MarshaBrady Thu 16-Jul-09 10:52:37

I know, I had to think twice whether to worry others too link it or worry by myself

Pinkjenny Thu 16-Jul-09 10:57:05

I just don't know how you would achieve that. Stay at home for your entire pregnancy? What about those of us with other dc? Do they have to stay at home for your whole pregnancy too? Does your dh also stay at home with you? Because even if you bring your mat leave forward, a loved one could catch it and pass it on to you.

I understand it's concerning, but that article is bordering on hysterical, imo.

wasabipeanut Thu 16-Jul-09 10:57:24

Well I'm not one to flap but I think the precaution of giving dh some alcohol gel and asking him to apply after he's been on trains and tubes prob wouldn't go amiss. I'll get some more antibac wipes for door handles and stuff too I think.

I am affectively a SAHM who does a few freelance bits here and there so the odds of me bringing it into the house are slim - its DH and DS that are likely to do that!

MarshaBrady Thu 16-Jul-09 11:01:08

Ds doesn't have to go to nursery, although I prefer him to.

I think my plan will be to keep him there and take him out if someone in the school gets it.

Bert2e Thu 16-Jul-09 11:09:51

Here's the NCT info: http://www.nct.org.uk/info-centre/information/view-117

Longtalljosie Fri 17-Jul-09 07:18:10

And here's the info from the NHS on the subject.

Essentially, it says that yes, we are more at risk because our immune system is dampened down in pregnancy.

The second and third trimesters are of particular concern.

And in the worst cases, it could cause premature delivery.

BUT most pg women who get it, will get it mildly and have no lasting ill-effects.

And we would be prescribed Relenza as an inhaler, which would concentrate on the lungs, with very little getting into the blood.

In serious cases, we would get Tamiflu.

MrsHappy Fri 17-Jul-09 08:33:04

One of my colleagues has just gone down with swine flu the day after he and I had an hour long meeting.
TBH I am just watching for a temperature and if I get one will call the GP, and if I feel worse (temp that won't subside for example) will head to hospital.
Like anything else there is a chance that I simply won't catch swine flu, and I figure that if I do the chances are I will be fine with the right medical support.
When I think about it I would maybe rather have it now than in Oct/November when I have a new (vulnerable) baby to deal with as well as myself and my three year old.

blondieminx Sat 18-Jul-09 18:32:14

There's now so much of it around (particularly in London) that it's impossible to avoid imo.

I was borderline obsessive compulsive about hand sanitizer gel, washing hands etc but here I am at 15 weeks with suspected swine flu (started on Wednesday, today is the first day I've started to feel human!).

I was given Relenza and advised by the MW to take that with paracetamol and use cold flannels as well to keep my temp down. As Mrs Happy says I'd rather have it now than when my baby is here...

Stay well all.

Thandeka Sat 18-Jul-09 20:34:48

Oh blondiemix you poor thing. Wed-Sat isnt horrendous but guess it isnt quite over yet- but glad you feel human.

Any ideas how you got it?

I am bordering OCD too- just made a visitor wash his hands as soon as he came in the door- and I held my breath when he hugged me- like that will make a difference! HAHA!

Ninjacat Sat 18-Jul-09 22:50:22

I feel pretty rotten but dr will only say I have a flu like virus during a flu pandemic.
They are reluctant to give me any anti virals as they have not been checked for side effects on fetus so just on paracetamol.
Dr said SF's like normal flu but milder. As I had flu in may I'm using that as my bench mark and so far I'm not as bad as I was back then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now