Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Worried about retinol and salicins in my face cream - 18 weeks

(5 Posts)
Blakey1 Thu 16-Jul-09 06:35:56

I've just realised the face cream I've used twice a day for the last 6 months contains both natural retinol and white willow salicin. Are these really bad for the baby and how do I know if everything will be o.K?

MiaMamma Thu 16-Jul-09 13:37:15

Amounts of these in the face cream are so so tiny anyway, it never gets to the baby. Don't think you have to worry at all!

Hangingbellyofbabylon Thu 16-Jul-09 18:03:02

I think you need to check with the doctor or midwife, hopefully the amounts in the cream are very small but I know that retinol is very much contr-indicated in pregnancy. It's better to ask than to keep worrying.

Walnut8 Thu 16-Jul-09 19:41:12

I agree with MiaMamma. I'd stop using it but I wouldn't worry too much about it. From everything I've read they recommend that pregnant women avoid topical retinoids/retinols and salicylic acid because in high doses taken orally they can cause birth defects, however they haven't found a conclusive link between topical applications and defects.

Blakey1 Thu 16-Jul-09 22:48:15

thank you everyone for your help. Its pointless to worry when there's nothing you can do. Its a shame its not the sort of thing that's widely talked / written about. Certainly my GP and midwife didn't mention anything about lotions and potions at all.
Anyway - all creams now in the bin and I'm concentrating on feeling happier as I'm sure that's best for baby !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: