Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Worried about retinol and salicins in my face cream - 18 weeks

(5 Posts)
Blakey1 Thu 16-Jul-09 06:35:56

I've just realised the face cream I've used twice a day for the last 6 months contains both natural retinol and white willow salicin. Are these really bad for the baby and how do I know if everything will be o.K?

MiaMamma Thu 16-Jul-09 13:37:15

Amounts of these in the face cream are so so tiny anyway, it never gets to the baby. Don't think you have to worry at all!

Hangingbellyofbabylon Thu 16-Jul-09 18:03:02

I think you need to check with the doctor or midwife, hopefully the amounts in the cream are very small but I know that retinol is very much contr-indicated in pregnancy. It's better to ask than to keep worrying.

Walnut8 Thu 16-Jul-09 19:41:12

I agree with MiaMamma. I'd stop using it but I wouldn't worry too much about it. From everything I've read they recommend that pregnant women avoid topical retinoids/retinols and salicylic acid because in high doses taken orally they can cause birth defects, however they haven't found a conclusive link between topical applications and defects.

Blakey1 Thu 16-Jul-09 22:48:15

thank you everyone for your help. Its pointless to worry when there's nothing you can do. Its a shame its not the sort of thing that's widely talked / written about. Certainly my GP and midwife didn't mention anything about lotions and potions at all.
Anyway - all creams now in the bin and I'm concentrating on feeling happier as I'm sure that's best for baby !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now