If your baby is at term, would they deliver if you got flu?(14 Posts)
This is an issue for me ATM. Dh has been diagnosed with s flu. I'm 38 weeks preg.
From what I've read and discussed with doc, they won't induce just for flu. I've been told to call the minute I get symptoms and I'll be given relenza. They won't induce or cs unless there's an immediate risk to the baby.
As you can imagine, I'm being pretty obsessive about 'social hygene' for what it's worth.
Hi FioFio, <slight gatecrash> I used to be hopeitwontbebig on Sept 07 thread. How are you?
DH phoned me this morning to say someone he's been sitting next to at work is off with swine flu. I'm 36 weeks pregnant and was wondering the same thing about induction
Hi I'm overdue and swine flu is rife in my DC's school so I have rung every conceivable person to ask what the protocol is regarding birth. I was 39 weeks when I first enquired.
I was told that I should be very acreful about hygiene (of course) and that if I developed any symptoms then I would be treated with inhaled antivirals, i.e. relenza as these indicate less placental cross over. I was also told that if I had a fever at time of labour I would have to have a closely monitored hospital birth not the HB I have booked and that the baby would be treated at first signs of respiratory illness.
Midwife also said that flu can often trigger labour at term.
LG, I'm not sure. They didn't cover this aspect when I spoke to people. I suggested me aiming to get it before the baby so that I could pass on antibodies but that was met with a 'no comment' really.
Trying to get consistent advice is hard work I am finding, but to be fair this is a bit of an unknon quantity with which we are dealing.
Hope you manage to cope with the worry okay.
my youngest child developed flu like symptoms quite suddenly this morning. he's 3 years old. the doctor prescribed anti-virals as soon as i described the symptoms over the phone. i was a bit suprised and said maybe we should wait and see, but she said we should behave cautiously and get him treated. i'm 38 weeks pregnant and she's given me relenza, which you have to inhale. she told me not to 'wait and see' but to take it as a precaution. haven't administered either yet, am usually a bit hesitant to give drugs. have dosed my little boy up with pain killers and he's rallied pretty well (as i find children do the minute you get the doctor involved - why is that??). apparently these things only work if given quickly at the first signs, so am really dithering.
I didn't take it and i didn't give them to my son. he slept all afternoon with a temperature and then woke up ravenous and pretty much back to normal. seems fine today. i suppose it still could have been SF but a mild episode. have resolved to take my antiviral stuff if i start to feel ill at all. leningrad - the doctor said it has protective effect, so maybe it stops the incubating virus from breaking out? that's quite reassuring for all us pregnant women i think.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.