Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sweep or not to sweep?

(4 Posts)
SheWillBeLoved Wed 15-Jul-09 12:41:50

Got my (hopefully) last midwife appointment this afternoon, and when she saw me two weeks ago she said that she could offer me a sweep as it's the day before the due date on my notes. I'm not actually due until the 18th though, the 16th was the date they gave me after my 12 week scan, and I got put back a further 2 days at my 20 week scan but the notes weren't updated.

Do I take it? I'm not in no great discomfort to be honest, I don't even look pregnant blush part of me wants to meet my baby right now, but the other part is quite enjoying getting in some rest whilst I can after being incredibly busy with renovating our new house for months up until a week ago!

Anyone who's had one before - was yours successful? I know that they don't always work. And was it painful at all? Not that that should matter - it's going to be nothing compared to what I'm facing grin

I'm just anxious that if I don't take it, labour is a long way off as honestly - I have had nothing to say otherwise. But the thought of actually doing something to start it off myself is terrifying shock

honeyapple Wed 15-Jul-09 13:59:15

hiya

I wouldnt bother at this stage- it most probably will be a bit uncomfortable and probably won't do much!

I had a sweep with DD when I was 10 days over with induction looming- and I went into labour that night...

Had one with DS2 on my due date and it did nothing- just made me sore- and he ended up being 10 days late anyway...

Would go for a sweep if you havent had your baby in a weeks time,

good luck!

Lastyearsmodel Wed 15-Jul-09 14:04:39

Hello,

I'd take the rest while you can grin.

I had a sweep wth my first and it did get things going, but I was 10 days over and had been having night-time contractions for 6 nights.

With, my second, I was 12 days over but hadn't been having any contractions, so I went for the sweep as people kept mentioning induction. It seemed to start me 'niggling' - cx every 5 mins but nothing productive, just knackering.

So my advice? Leave well alone, put your feet up, go for walks and things will happen in good time. And like honeyapple says, you can always think again in a week's time. You'll know when you're ready to have the baby when you'll do anything to get you started!

itsalwaysthequietones Wed 15-Jul-09 15:24:47

Agree with the others, if you're not in any hurry, I'd leave it. Also, I'm pretty sure babies just come when they are ready. I had a sweep when I was 1 week overdue. Didn't find it that painful but it did sod all (despite MW telling me I was already 1 cm dilated) and I had to be induced anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now