Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should I be Worried My Baby Wouldn't Reveal Gender at 20 Week Scan?

(15 Posts)
LauraKB Wed 15-Jul-09 10:03:00

Hi Everyone

The sensible part of my head is telling I am just being silly but I can't help worrying the my baby wouldn't reveal its gender at the 20 week scan, which was actually 20 weeks 5 days.

I am not too fussed about knowing the gender really but am just concerned there was a reason they wouldn't or god forbid couldn't move to show.

The sonographer didn't seem concerned and I have been feeling them move but am still a bit worried.

I'll mention to the midwife this afternoon at my appointment but was hoping you might me able to reassure me I'm just being silly in the interim.

Thank you

L, x.

madrush Wed 15-Jul-09 10:04:36

Neither of my girls would uncross their legs properly at scan time, but there was nothing wrong. Try not to worry and look forward to the surprise.

babyball Wed 15-Jul-09 10:05:37

No, you shouldn't. They can tend to be stubborn little so-and-sos at the best of times. This happened to a friend of mine who arranged a second scan where she had turned in the right direction.

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 15-Jul-09 10:05:59

You're being silly .... smile

Sorry - not being flippant but the 20 week scan is an anomaly scan primarily so if there was anything major wrong, then its likely it would have been picked up. Lots of babies are in the wrong position on scans to be able to see their "bits". They couldn't tell us at 20 weeks with dd. In fact, we had 2 weekly scans from 26 weeks and she only finally showed us at about 34 weeks.

She's 2 now and has no problems moving at all (nor any problems flashing her bits at any opportunity either grin)

LauraKB Wed 15-Jul-09 10:08:31

Thank you all, I think I am the most paranoid person out! .

ExpositionDesMains Wed 15-Jul-09 10:08:49

It's an anomaly scan! It's to pick up problems. They have a quick look to see if they can see the gender but it's not a requisite part of the scan.

DD wouldn't open her legs at the scan. In fact she spent every scan we had curled in a tight ball and the sonographer had to hit my stomach to get her to move so he could measure her.

I assure you that at 2 years old she has no flipping problems with constant moving and later this month will be flashing her bits at tillyscoutsmum's dd and giggling uncontrollably no doubt. <<waves at tilly>>

MerlinsBeard Wed 15-Jul-09 10:14:43

The scan is to detect anomalies (sp?) and to check on growth, amniotic fluid levels etc not to reveal the gender of a baby.

DS1 was so shy that he had his legs crossed for the entire scan and turned his back to us!
DS2 was waving it around in a hip thrusting kind fo way, we didn't even need to ask grin

DS3 was just normal chilled out baby

nappyaddict Wed 15-Jul-09 10:20:00

If you really want to know you could always book a 3D scan closer to the time and hope that he/she will reveal it to you then.

MrsArchieTheInventor Wed 15-Jul-09 10:40:02

We couldn't tell the gender of either pregnancies at 20 weeks, so I wouldn't worry too much. The 20 week scan is more to detect abnormalities and growth than gender.

With DS (5 years) we didn't want to know but DS didn't want us to know either as he kept his legs crossed throughout every scan and the sonographer couldn't tell if it was a hamburger or sausage for certain (her words, not mine!), and with DD (5 months) I had a scan at 37 weeks following stomach cramps and the sonographer asked if we wanted to know and we were surprised that she could tell as we'd asked at previous scans and it couldn't be seen clearly.

I know you're probably more concerned that baby is healthy and happy etc, but I know what it feels like to be able to put a name and an identity to a baby before it's born, so you have my sympathy if you want to know but baby has other ideas. smile

namechangerforareason Wed 15-Jul-09 10:44:52

I wouldnt worry, that scan is for detecting anomalies, not for telling you the gender of baby. As long as baby is healthy then you have nothing to worry about.

here in Glasgow we dont currently get a 20 week scan, you get your dating/booking in scan and thats it! We had to pay to get an anomaly and gender scan privately.

LauraKB Wed 15-Jul-09 11:26:23

namechangerforareason, that's rubbish for you! I am under the RAH at Paisley, with Antental at Vale of Leven and they Automatically do a 20 week. It's silly that we are so close together yet what you get is so different.

midnightexpress Wed 15-Jul-09 11:29:39

namechange - I got a 20 week anomoly scan in Glasgow when I had ds2 by weeping in the midwife's surgery (I did have some extenuating circumstances). I also know other people who have stamped their feet and got one (although it sounds as if you are past that stage anyway, but for future ref grin). It's ridiculous.

namechangerforareason Wed 15-Jul-09 12:04:53

Laura I know its crazy! I got all on my high horse and wrote to my MSP who assures me it will be in place in Glasgow by 09/09 so hopefully for future Glasgow mums it wont be a problem where you have to pay. I emphasised the scans were for detecting anomalies so that staff and parents can be prepared should a problem be discovered and take measures to make sure delivery goes well and such. He seemed quite disgusted and stated several constituants had raised same problem.

Midnight, I had a few scares and they only took me in and gave me a doppler to hear heartbeat, one time it was a student M/W who took 3 attempts and 5 mins to find H/B! I was so worried when she couldnt find the H/B as I was 19 weeks and already pretty big bump.

Crazy really, I told my midwife I was paying for scan and she said its ridiculous that I had to do it but her hands were tied, red tape and all. She actually seemed embarassed by it all as she said same as you Laura, if I lived a few miles down the road I would automatically get 20 week scan. It really made me mad as I worked in NHS and know of people who are drug abusers, therefore high risk pregnancy, getting 4 or 5 scans. Now I understand the need for close monitoring but I felt there was no justice in that. I know how ridiculous that sounds but it really did make me angry.

Still Ds is 8 months now and doing really really well. Still took me 8 years TTC so dont realistically think there will be another DC for us.

DracoDormiensNunquamTitilandus Wed 15-Jul-09 12:08:17

[arf]

Get used to it! The worry won't stop with seeing the genitals or even at the birth, you'll just find something else to focus on DS1 is 10 and I still find stuff to worry about.

YanknCock Wed 15-Jul-09 13:01:40

Mine moves constantly, but when it comes to scans, he sits very still! We were incredibly lucky to find out the gender as he decided to shift one leg a bit at the 20 week scan. We also had a private scan at 30 weeks, and despite kicking me to death all day for weeks, he picked that exact moment to curl up in a ball and go to sleep.

If you really want to know, book in for a 3D scan later on. Your local hospital might even have cheaper packages than the stand-alone centres like BabyBond. Though be prepared, even with a cold drink and sugary dessert beforehand, mine still wouldn't move!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now