Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to be pregnant 3 weeks after D&C?

(8 Posts)
bluespix77 Tue 14-Jul-09 22:43:02

Hi
I have been having some pains in my lower abdomen on the right hand side. Having done a little bit of research a common sugesstion for this is ectopic pregnancy. So I did a pregnancy test and its showing as 1-2 weeks pregnant. Can this be possible only 3 weeks after a D&C?

difficultdecision Wed 15-Jul-09 11:46:28

If you've had sex since then it is possible yes, if you had the D+C because of a miscarriage (and if you did I'm so sorry sad) then it is also possible that either the level is taking a long time to go down (although I think it should have done by now) or a little bit of tissue hid and was missed.

Either way you need to see your doctor as they will probably want to do blood hormone levels and maybe a scan too.

The details about why you had the D+C and the results of any scans you had before hand will help them decide so please make an appointment or if you can't get one today ring for advice and ask if the duty doctor can ring you back. Alternatively, if you had the D+C organised via an early pregnancy unit you might want to ring them directly.

Hope everything works out ok.

lulalullabye Wed 15-Jul-09 11:56:58

I would say that the pain is post d&c and maybe an infection ? See a dr about that. You can still get pos result for a few weeks after that is I am presuming you were pg ?

BayeauxT Wed 15-Jul-09 11:59:00

Yes, my sister fell pregnant almost immediately after a D&C (following a mc) - her new due date was literally just a few weeks after her original due date (and happy to say she had a healthy DD)

bluespix77 Wed 15-Jul-09 16:43:05

Hi, thanks all for advice. The D&C was indeed for a missed MC at about 9/10 weeks. The pain today is very very minimal, it did start when we were having sex, so I'm maybe wondering whether a muscle got twisted? (sorry if tmi!) I will however call the doctor tomorrow - you have to be dead or better before they'll give you an apt! But hopefully I can get some advice over the phone.

difficultdecision Wed 15-Jul-09 16:55:59

Glad it's better and sorry to hear about your missed MC sad.

Seriously do ask for an emergency appointment or for the duty doctor to ring you back (i'm a doctor and would be happy to see you on that basis). If things get worse overnight then call the out of hours doctor but hopefully they should continue to improve.

bluespix77 Wed 15-Jul-09 17:34:24

Thanks difficultdecision for your advice. I will give the surgery a call tomorrow morning.

bluespix77 Fri 17-Jul-09 08:19:11

I have now been to the Docs and he thinks its a UTI, my urine was shoing protein and blood whne he tested it, so he's now sent it off for proper testing. He didn't want to prescribe anything until results are back on Monday, so I hope it doesn;t get any worse.
The Docs pregnancy test came up negative, but he implied they aren't that sensitive. I did another clear blue digital when I got home and thats saying pregnant 1-2 weeks, so I guess I'll just wait a few days and see whether the 1-2 turns into 2-3!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now