Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stretch marks?

(12 Posts)
ashymae Tue 14-Jul-09 15:58:13

I am 23 weeks pregnant, I have gained 11 lbs so far and have no stretch marks. My doctor told me they are genetic and my mom didnt have them; she also said if I didnt have any by 26 weeks I most likely would not get them. I couldn't care less if I get them or not, as long as I deliver a healthy baby and I am healthy, but am curious as to other womens experiences. I was about 118 lbs prepregnancy and still exercising daily. I cant wait for my little guy to arrive in early November!

MiaMamma Tue 14-Jul-09 17:37:05

I'm 39 weeks now, have gained 2 and half stone in this pregnancy and have no strech marks (bump is HUGE and skin feels very tight!). Don't believe it's genetic as remember my mum telling me about her ones and she had loads. But I'm using body oil every day to moisturize, so I think this is why I don't have them. Did the same in my previous pregnancy and didn't have any strech marks either.

brettgirl2 Tue 14-Jul-09 17:43:14

I think people who are prone to stretch marks get them on breasts/hips at puberty. I got them in my pg too (but to be fair was lax with the bio oil)

paisleyleaf Tue 14-Jul-09 17:44:45

I can't remember what weight I gained
but I didn't use any creams etc and didn't get any.
Makes me think you'll either get them or not.

You've either got stretchy skin or not, like you've either got greasy hair or not, whatever shampoo/creams you use.

(my mum has loads btw)

I also heard that the younger you are, the more likely you are to get them.
(I was pregnant at 32)

brettgirl2 Tue 14-Jul-09 17:46:26

The 26 weeks thing didn't apply in my case either, I was well into 3rd trimester!

JeMeSouviens Tue 14-Jul-09 17:52:02

I got mine about 34 weeks. But i did use bio oil throughout as I knew I would get them, have ones on my thighs. I think that the oil lessened them as they are very light, and not that bad. Whereas my mum has very crepey stomach and horrendous marks.

LittleMissBliss Tue 14-Jul-09 17:52:36

I didn't get any until my last tri-mester. Didn't get loads just on my love handles and slightly under my bump. But enough to annoy me. I used creams and didn't put on a huge amount of weight. But had them anyway from puberty on my thigh. I got them on my boobs too when my milk came in.

I was 20 when pregnant with ds and 22 now pregnant with ds2. No new stretch marks at 28 weeks that i can make out.

reikizen Tue 14-Jul-09 17:55:49

Everyone is different, some people just get them at the end when you are about to pop! In my experience teenagers can suffer badly with them but I don't know the physiology of why. No creams etc can prevent them as they happen too far down within the structure of the skin and as far as I know they are hereditary in that if your parents have them, you are more likely to get them. I've seen some women with a BMI of 40 not get any, and tiny women who are covered with them!

brettgirl2 Tue 14-Jul-09 18:05:33

I was 31, so no spring chicken either grin.

justlookatthatbooty Tue 14-Jul-09 18:45:41

it's in the second pregnancy that you wanna watch out for them. at 38 weeks they have appeared overnight ALL OVER. Same happenned to most friends. Having said that, some people don't get them.

Bellsa Tue 14-Jul-09 18:49:57

HA! I was sooo smug during pregnancy. Didn't have any. Then they appeared overnight, at about 37/8 weeks. And now I have them and they are grim. Worth it for the end result, but not pretty!

moodylou Tue 14-Jul-09 18:56:31

I was 23 when i had DS and put on 12lbs during pregnancy and used cream on my skin daily. I had no stretch marks until i was about 32 weeks when i suddenly got loads. My mum on the other hand went through two pregnancies and didn't get a single one.

I've got stretchmarks on my hips from puberty though and i don't think my mum got any. My skin tone is more similar to my dad's though so maybe that explains it.

This pregnancy i've put on about 20lbs and i didn't get any new stretchmarks until i was 37 weeks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now