Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sent home til end of term at least because of Swine flu risk at work and being pregnant!

(12 Posts)
Thandeka Tue 14-Jul-09 14:14:41

Today all pregnant women were sent home from work and told not to come back til Sept (work in a school summer holidays start a week on wednesday). They will phone us in september if they will let us back then!

Since I am 11 weeks I am quite glad of this although it may "out me" at school for being up the duff although our current high staff absence maybe they will think I have it! (had previous MMC so wary about telling people and have been off work for ages initially with MMC and then with problems with this bean -which are now fine and only I went back to work last week- the kids will forget who I am!)

Has anyone else's work done this?
I have soooo much sorting and organising I need to do at school so I am a bit gutted but I imagine they may let me in in the summer hols to sort myself out so long as no sneezy people are there!
Hmm now am wondering about popping into town to do some shopping- will feel like such a skiver and then irony would be I would get swine flu from there- then again I can't be a hermit for the next 6 months+!

chamoiscreased Tue 14-Jul-09 14:27:50

Yep, same here, work in a school, break up on weds, sent home due to some people having the 'flu...again I'm wondering if people will work it out or not, only my manager knows at the mo.
I've decided it's not going to be possible to hide from it altogether though, I mean even if you never went out again and shopped online etc what's to say the postman won't bring you some germs or the tesco delivery person?!

<prophet of doom> grin

1dilemma Tue 14-Jul-09 14:30:26

Am shocked (but would certainly hit the shopsgrin)

My works plans for swine 'flu certainly involve me turning up (am pregnant too) maybe I should suggest they send me home instead wink

Thandeka Tue 14-Jul-09 14:50:39

Phoned my doc this morning who said transmission is usually over an hour of being within a metre of an infected person. So I intend to run past everyone I know and do 5 min chats!

Have my alcohol rub and first defence hand lotion thing and am going to be as scrupulous as I can. Felt bad this morning though as cleaner couldn't come yday as she was ill wanted to come today and I said not if she was infectious- poor love had period pain!

Not sure what to do with myself and this extended holiday! (although having been off for 6 weeks of this term already am a daytime tv afficionado!)

1dilemma Tue 14-Jul-09 15:03:18

wish I had that problem maybe I could outsource some of the huge number of things I have hanging over my head?

difficultdecision Tue 14-Jul-09 15:25:28

nice extra holiday

not sure that would work for me - we still need doctors in a swine flu pandemic apparently envy.

RamDhan Tue 14-Jul-09 18:57:29

I work at the Natural History Museum so we're about to get all those lovely infected kids descending on us for the next 2 months and I'm still in the first trimester so having to pretend all is normal. I'm not enjoying the prospect, and we've already had at least one confirmed case amongst staff. If it gets too bad I'm considering asking my GP to sign me off with swine flu as an excuse!

katster37 Tue 14-Jul-09 19:07:55

Wow - I am jealous!! smile I am a teacher and we have had several cases of swine flu at our school - Head told me pregnant women are to be treated as everyone else, and I won't get extra time off sad Would love it if I could though!!
Thandeka hope your pregnancy is going OK, when's your 12 wk scan?

Thandeka Tue 14-Jul-09 20:36:57

Yeah I think I may be secretly in love with my Head.

Having next scan 31st July where will be 13 weeks 1 day. I think this bean must think its a celebrity the amount of paparazzi scans I have had. (31st will be my 4th scan shock- but thats because- 5.3weeks emergency scan suspected ectopic, 7weeks scan to check HB and is still in right place as no HB (obviously!) at emergency scan. 9.5 weeks the reasurance scan I booked from the begining and then 13 weeks is my nuchal one. I am very lucky/blagger!

Katster- tell your head about this precedent

whelk Tue 14-Jul-09 20:49:29

Good luck with the scan Thandeka x

Minshu Tue 14-Jul-09 21:51:19

Today a "high risk" male colleague and I were told we could work from home while a couple of suspected cases were confirmed or otherwise, but it seems a bit of overkill to me. Might think again, though. I'm 30 weeks now and not really sure.

Hope all goes well with your scan, Thandeka. And that the "fame" doesn't go to bean's head

Caitni Tue 14-Jul-09 23:04:59

Well my DH is actually getting over a case of swine flu at the moment - GP still didn't give him tamiflu but said if I catch then I'll get it (am 7 weeks pregnant today). I was initially shock and quite scared but am now using antiseptic wipes and antiseptic hand sanitiser (and making my DH use it obsessively!) and dettoling the house. He's in the spare room until fully recovered and I'm doing all food prep etc. Was quite sad that he couldn't come with me to my first can today but hey ho, better than potentially infecting pregnant women!

It seems the major risk for pregnant women is elevated temp - as it's a risk factor for miscarriage - and our GP's advice is to keep your temp down using parcetemol (sp?) so I've now got some in my handbag in case I suddenly get a temp.

Loads of people at work also have it/have had it (I work in media in London) and the company has no policy in place, and there are heaps of pregnant women (about 16 on my floor alone shock). I'm actually a bit pissed off at them for not even giving us any wipes or anything to clean our keyboards/phones etc as many of us actually hotdesk around the building!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now