Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

'Nearly there now'...'not long to go'...NO I am not due till the end of OCT. Grggghh!!!

(52 Posts)
princessmel Tue 14-Jul-09 12:53:13

OMG every day someone says something along these lines.

I am getting fed up of it.

I must be a whale.

The lady on the checkout in Sainsburys last night, looked positively shocked when I told her that actually I am not due till the end of Oct.

One of the mums at school asked when I was due and I said 'end of oct' and she said 'WHAT?!!' so I repeated it and she just couldn't seem to take it in.

All the time people say, 'are you sure it's not twins?' 'Is one not hiding behind the other' etc etc.

I def feel big, at my last midwife appt eons ago she didn't measure me and just said I was 'fine'.
This is my 3rd pregnancy so I know you can get bigger quicker, but this is crazy!

If I carry on growing at this rate I am scared at how big I will end up.

phdlife Tue 14-Jul-09 12:57:58

sympathies, princessmel - I got that constantly too. even my mother, by the end of last pg, was making the twins "joke" hmm. My obstetrician said it was because I carried so far forward - she pointed out you couldn't even tell I was pg from behind. I still felt like a hippo, though.

helips Tue 14-Jul-09 13:19:13

Yes, I get this too. Am due beginning of Nov and this is my second pregnancy and I feel huge! I've had the twins comment and the one hiding behind the other, it is so annoying. I had it with ds too and think it's because I carry all the weight on my tummy but don't get bigger anywhere else. It's still bloody rude though and I wouldn't dream of saying anything like that to someone, pregnant or not!!

LittleMissBliss Tue 14-Jul-09 13:20:26

Glad it's not just me then!

The thing is i'm not even that big! The M/W measured me as 27cm for 28 weeks at my appointment this morning, so i cant be on the large sidehmm. Silly people! I wonder what gems i'll hear when i actually only have a few weeks to go! Most probably the twins comment!

Lizzylou Tue 14-Jul-09 13:21:09

It was the same for me when pg with DS2, it does get on your tits doesn't it?

Like you wouldn't know when your own baby was due hmm

readyfornumber2and3 Tue 14-Jul-09 13:25:39

I have been having these comments since I was 6 months pg lol. I AM carrying twins though so its quite funny when they do the twins "joke" and I say actually yes it is lol

I think people love to see and comment on lovely big bu,ps but they should remember to be sensitive afterall we have many hormones floating around ready to shout/cry/scream on demand lol wink

phdlife Tue 14-Jul-09 13:26:46

what pissed me off was shop clerks and bus drivers eyeing me all nervously when I still had 3 months to go. hmm

suwoo Tue 14-Jul-09 13:30:00

I got this all the time up until a few weeks ago (have some pics on profile).

Yesterday, I had someone say that I wasn't that big anymore hmm.

I think my bump has just slowed down a bit now and is back in line with 'normal' people grin.

16 days to go and counting!

princessmel Tue 14-Jul-09 13:31:32

Oh yes, the 'careful you don't set something off' jokes, when I laugh or run etc. As if I will go into labour right there.

Very annoyingly my friend is due tomorrow and people are always saying to me 'oh, so are you at the same stage as *** then?'. The lady in M+S thought we were due at the same time too.

NO we are 3 months apart..... angry

TheTeaThings Tue 14-Jul-09 13:32:02

yup October here too and I get the high eyebrows and that dramatic hand signal meaning over-sized bump hmm.

are you sure it's not twins? NO IT's 2009 AND I HAD A SCAN. TWICE!!

CarGirl Tue 14-Jul-09 13:33:07

I had this with dcs 2, 3 & 4 although after giving birth to dc2 at 10lb 6oz despite measuring 3 weeks behend and the midwives telling me it wasn't big I kind of think no wonder I looked huge especially as I'm only 5' and carry all out front too.

It is very very wearing though isn't it.

princessmel Tue 14-Jul-09 13:33:19

Suwoo I am as big as you in your 34week photo and 26 weeks tomorrow...

princessmel Tue 14-Jul-09 13:34:26

shock Carrgirl!

suwoo Tue 14-Jul-09 13:35:06

yeah, thats what I mean- it's slowed right down now. I have another one of me last week at 35, I'll add it- hold on.

Lobyd Tue 14-Jul-09 13:39:08

I have this all the time. And I got measured at 30 weeks to be told I was the right size!

I always say - " It's because I have such a slim figure, you can notice it more." This isn't true by the way! But it makes me feel better to have some kind of comeback to the "oh, you must be about to pop" comments...no, still 8 weeks to go.

suwoo Tue 14-Jul-09 13:39:13

Have added it- 2nd one down.

princessmel Tue 14-Jul-09 13:43:57

Oooh fab pic suwoo!

The ones on my profile are not the recent. Will have to update.

Lobyd this is what people say to me, to try and soften the blow after they have said how enormous I am.

CarGirl Tue 14-Jul-09 13:44:05

I know we were shock too didn't have any clothes to fit her in the hospital! My eldest was only 7lb 6oz

It was a good come back in subsequent pregnancies though.

LittleMissBliss Tue 14-Jul-09 13:49:35

Suwoo think i may have said this to you before but your bump is very neat and all out front and no stretch marks! i'm veryenvy.

I think that when you carry all out front and weren't very big pre-pregnancy, it can make you look massive. But if you were carrying some extra weight before, the change is less noticeable and the bump spreads out more and doesn't stick out as much...

well that made sense in my head. Doesn't written down!

CarGirl Tue 14-Jul-09 13:55:09

LittleMissBliss that is def me, I have very very slim hips so it truly is all out front plus my babies were tall rather than fat IYSWIM.

suwoo Tue 14-Jul-09 15:28:49

Princessmel, you have gorgeous pics too- would love to see a more recent one of your bump.

Littlemissbliss your DS is gorgeous! I know what you are saying and it makes complete sense. I am an hourlgass normally, so do have slim waist and flat stomach which I always accentuate, so I look massive from very early on when pg.

VAB Tue 14-Jul-09 15:35:33

I had exactly the same conversation with a random woman serving me the other day too - cheeky cow!! Asked how far on I was (25 weeks) and when I replied she looked at me with shock and asked if I was sure it was just one baby in there.

How could she possibly think this would be an OK to say to me?! It's so flipping rude!! I was upset and angry to be honest. angry

suwoo Tue 14-Jul-09 15:44:33

I got this for weeks and weeks! I just used to say that the 3 scans I had had were quite a good indication that there was definitely only one, thank you.

If you are only 25 weeks, I would toughen up as you'll have plenty more insults helpful comments over the forthcoming 15 or so weeks. wink

princessmel Tue 14-Jul-09 16:41:58

Suwoo I will try and put one on.
All the recent pics of me are awful. I look so whale like and my boobs are like heads.

suwoo Tue 14-Jul-09 16:45:29

Yeah right! I bet you look gorgeous. I am holding my boobs up in mine. Mine haven't gone that much biiger really cup wise, I have gone from a 30F to a 34G. Thats before breastfeeding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now