Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

3rd baby and suffering with severe anxiety

(6 Posts)
jenn321 Tue 14-Jul-09 11:07:52

hi this is my first time posting, im 23 and 35 weeks pregnant with m 3rd baby (have a 5 yr old and 3 yr old). i started suffering from panic attacks and health anxiety after the birth of my first child but i took meds to help. now i cant stop worrying and having panic attacks, im at the doctors almost every day thinkng something is wrong with the pregnancy (even though everythng seems fine). i keep getting overwhelming fear of the birth even though i had 2 easy deliverys before. to top it all of i hve my scan next week to see if my placenta has moved as it was a little on the low side at 20 weeks. i just hate feeling like something is going t happen and i wont be here to see our new baby was just wondering if anyone else felt the same i feel like im the only one.

Ladyem Tue 14-Jul-09 17:12:31

I really feel for you, jenn321. sad I have suffered with anxiety and panic attacks in the past and it is awful. Completely takes over your life. I can't believe that the Drs haven't done something more to help you. Perhaps talk to your midwife about it and see if she can recommend anyone to talk to.

I know it sounds mad, but I had a few sessions of hypnotherapy, and while I usually say 'no way' to alternative therapies it really helped me, to the point that I am now 100% better and have gone from being terrified to leave the house, pick up the phone etc, to leading a much more normal life. I'm still a worrier and probably always will be, but I am soooo much better. I also used the 'natal hypnotherapy' cds when I was pregnant with DD and found that really useful and did not fear the birth at all. In fact, I'm 32 weeks now and thinking of digging it out again!!

Hope you find some help soon and you are not alone, so demand help!

jenn321 Tue 14-Jul-09 19:14:42

thanx for the reply, i go to see a cbt every tuesday and after my session today i feel a little calmer, i guess its a constant need for reassurance it drives me crazy. i definatly wouldnt rule out hypnotheropy may be a silly question but can u do that when ur pregnant? i listen to relaxation cd's etc and this stuff normally helps its just been the last few weeks the anixety's and panic attacks have increased. im so glad to see im not the only one who suffers and yes i will be demanding some help with it if it continues as it does

maybebaby23 Tue 14-Jul-09 19:48:45

I suffer with this as well but it's been going on so long i just suffer in silence now instead of daily visits to the docs Mine definately gets worse during pregnancy and i hardly left the house in the last few weeks of my last pregnancy. I just try to ignore it now and get on with life. Quite hard but i manage. I will be looking out for the natal hypnotherapy cd's, thanks!

Ladyem Tue 14-Jul-09 19:48:55

Hmmm, not sure, but I don't see why you can't have hypno while you are pregnant, as it is just deep relaxation, which I'm sure helps in itself!!

I'm sure if you contact a reputable hypnotherapist they'll be able to advise you further.

The hormones are probably not helping at the minute, either!! I found that around 20 weeks I started to get panic attacks again for no reason, but thankfully they've died down, so I put it down to the hormones!!!

Glad the CBT is helping!

jenn321 Tue 14-Jul-09 20:17:58

dont suffer in silence, theres loads of help out there for you, im at my worst at the moment, every ache and pain im convinced is something fatal, like right now i keep getting a pain in the pelvis so im think omg omg whats that. but i guess u gotta just try and relax and not worry so much. i feel better when im out and about and not in the house, if u stay in the house it can make it worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now