Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does anyone have any experience of using Cyclizine in treating morning sickness

(8 Posts)
tryingtobemarypoppins Tue 14-Jul-09 08:47:21

I thought it was fab when I started it last night, but first thing this morning.........total waste of time!

tryingtobemarypoppins Tue 14-Jul-09 10:01:56

bump

mm1509 Tue 14-Jul-09 10:22:22

I've been taking it for around 7 weeks now and it's been an absolute lifesaver for me. I tried two different types of meds before being admitted to hospital and they found this worked for me. I was told to remember it's no miracle cure but it does make the sickness more manageable.

One thought though I don't know how bad your sickness is but by the time I got the cyclizine I had to take it through an IV for two days as my stomach couldn't cope with anything in at the time. Just taking the tablets orally would not have worked for me.

Hope this starts working or that you find something soon that does.

BikeRunSki Tue 14-Jul-09 10:41:43

Poor you, big hugs (((o)))

Me too. Just like mm1509 I found it made the sickness more manageable, but it did n't go away. I was hospitalised with hyperemisis on and off for 6 weeks, and also had Cyclizine as a jab in my thigh. This worked best, but made me haluccinate! Orally it wasn't so good. Again, I just threw up anything I took orally. In the end Stemitil tablets got the sickness under control enough for me to be discharged. I had to swallow them dry though- even a tiny sip of water made my throw up.

Also lemon floavoured ice lollies helped. I think the cold numbs the nausea and the lemon quells the sickness. And the water keeps you dehydrated (I was seriously dehydrated which made me feel more sick). I heard a lady on the Chris Evans show a few weeks ago who suffered from morning sickness and has gone into business selling lemon, ginger and mint flavoured ice lollies to help, or I guess you could make you own in ice cube trays/kiddy lolly making kits if you are feeling up to it.

Lilipops

Happy ending - DS is now 10 months old and happy, healthy, big and strong. But he might well remain an only child!

monkeybumsmum Tue 14-Jul-09 10:44:28

I took it last summer and I'm afraid it didn't lessen my sickness at all, in fact on the second day of taking it it made me throw up even more (if that was possible blush). However, I have a friend taking it at the moment, and it's improving things for her.

Good luck with your sickness, I hope you manage to find something else that works better for you. Maybe you should go back to your GP and ask for a different medication? It really is so awful to have to go through this. Hope it eases up soon.

tryingtobemarypoppins Tue 14-Jul-09 13:36:55

Thanks so much ladies. I am really finding this pregnancy hard.......even thought about a termination which I know sounds terrible.
I came home with cyclizine and Metoclopramide but so far just found the cyclizine sends me to sleep and I was unsure about the second drug as it is newer.

Ice lollies were a great suggestion - they helped with that horrible furry taste in my mouth, thanks for that.

I just feel so badly for my 18month old.

tryingtobemarypoppins Tue 14-Jul-09 13:38:26

Did you also feel like you had no energy, weak, horrible taste in your mouth, a bit hot then cold but no temperature...........hope its not swine flu by mistake!

Ladyem Tue 14-Jul-09 17:06:15

I took cyclizine from week 9 for a few weeks and while I still felt sick, it took the gag-reflex away for me, so it wasn't so bad. They made me really sleepy in the beginning, but this wore off after a few days and then I was back to the normal early pregnancy tiredness levels!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now