Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

the strangest response you have had to telling someone you are pregnant ?

(100 Posts)
sazlocks Sun 12-Jul-09 21:47:40

I thought that two of my colleagues asking if it was planned was pretty odd but got the strangest so far today on telling a friends 20 something daughter who said " oh never mind" to which her mother replied "she doesn't do children" charming !

ilovetochat Sun 12-Jul-09 21:49:19

MOL. silence, then "oh"

HairyMuff Sun 12-Jul-09 21:52:12

My mum responded "Oh dear, you are going to be busy aren't you?" in a sombre mother knows best tone.

It was my 2nd with a 20 month age gap. Put a right dampner on things I tell you.

sazlocks Sun 12-Jul-09 22:03:01

nice ! glad its not just me.
My delightful mother responds to every new stage that my DS goes through with " oh no that's your life over then " - which is also a bit of a downer when I am excitedly explaining stuff like he's started walking etc smile

Meglet Sun 12-Jul-09 22:06:28

Dad. when told I was pg with first dc "i knew you were going to say that"

Dad. when told I was pg with second dc "thats a relief I thought you were getting fat"

Thanks dad grin hmm

HairyMuff Sun 12-Jul-09 22:07:21

Great arent they? Mothers eh, you can't live with 'em and you er, can't live with 'em smile

HairyMuff Sun 12-Jul-09 22:07:53

grin @ meglet

MrsHappy Sun 12-Jul-09 22:09:36

My GP (who I think was having a nervous breakdown) appeared to get a bit teary when I told him about DD1.

And one of my clients (I was a lawyer) asked "was it planned?"

sazlocks Sun 12-Jul-09 22:13:28

Lol at Meglet
My GP got teary when I told her I was PG with DS and I thought it was cos we had fertility treatment and the journey was a bit drawn out. Turned out later than she was also pregnant so think it was those dratted PG hormones !

SolidGoldBrass Sun 12-Jul-09 22:17:16

'Are you going to keep it?' (a few times...)
My response: 'If I wasn't, do you think I would be telling you about it?'

hairymelons Sun 12-Jul-09 22:18:19

My boss didn't believe me when I told him I was pregnant. He thought I was a career woman, not the children type. He ACTUALLY didn't believe me though, thought I was joking for a couple of weeks. Wierdo.
Meglet, my Dad is just as charming ("ooh, you were fat when you got back from the States, nice to see you're getting back to normal" !)

RipMacWinkle Sun 12-Jul-09 22:18:42

Apart from the usual "was it planned?" queries from the most random people that you hardly know (mostly at work), the oddest one was the response DH got.

When he told his work colleagues, one of them gave him a funny look and told him he didn't think he was the procreating sort. Poor DH really didn't know what to make of that smile

mrswee Sun 12-Jul-09 22:19:26

I've lost count of how
any people asked if it was planned even though I'm married And 33
My mum said, well it'd better be a girl, I don't like little boys!

oopsacoconut Sun 12-Jul-09 22:19:41

I got 'What, with a baby?' it took all I had not to say 'No, we don't do babies so I thought I'd get pregnant with a puppy instead' hmm

TheOddOne Sun 12-Jul-09 22:21:08

"How can you stand there and tell me that" Single colleague in her 40s.

"You've let me down love"
Uni friend.

I wasn't bothered in the slightest - it was their problem i felt.

sazlocks Sun 12-Jul-09 22:22:03

LOL at some of these but also shocked at how rude some people are !

nancy75 Sun 12-Jul-09 22:25:04

"but you dont like children"
said by my own mum!

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Sun 12-Jul-09 22:31:38

A woman I used to work with (well, she popped in from time to time on some sort of self-initiated job creation mission), looked at me faux-blankly and said 'is that good?'

LetThemEatCake Sun 12-Jul-09 22:35:26

"surely not planned!"

there was a 16-mth gap between my first 2, and there will be a 21/22 month gap between dc2 and my current bump - basically 3 babies in 3 years.

"oh darling. How will you cope?"
from my mum with the news of this 3rd (to be fair, I am largely alone due to dh's work and my family are on the other side of the world. I know she meant to be caring in a "wish I could do more" sort of way but it wasn't the vote of confidence I was looking for!)

and another 'friend' has simply refused to speak to me ever since we told her. Totally blanks me at parties etc.
Again, to be fair, she has been struggling to conceive for some years.

"are you mad?" / "You nutter!"/ "sooner you than me"/ "Surely THIS one is your last!?" - from all and sundry.

and - "yes, I thought you were looking fatter" from - who else - my mother in law.

sweetkitty Sun 12-Jul-09 22:36:12

My Mum with DD2 "oh please don't tell me your pregnant again" I said well we are very happy and if you are not then though, she had informed me that I had to wait until DD1 was 2 before TTC again

DB3 - I knew you would try for a boy, we lost DB3 and she said "it was for the best as no one has big families these days" and " 3 kids would be expensive"

DD3 - "are you ALLOWED to get pregnant so soon after a "loss"? "they" will tell you off, I thought you had to wait a year, probably as she had told everyone that we weren't TTC and now she would look a wee bit silly.

sweetkitty Sun 12-Jul-09 22:37:15

letthemeatcake - 3 is fab and 3 in 3 years will be fab, hard work but fab

bronze Sun 12-Jul-09 22:39:13

I never show til late so have had a few. I never knew you were pregnants after the event

LetThemEatCake Sun 12-Jul-09 22:42:06

thanks kitty smile

am sorry for your loss. We lost our first at 20 weeks due to a chromosomal anomaly and I was asked by my MiL about 7 weeks after the loss whether we were trying again yet.

Then when dd was born a year and a bit later, she said "well I knew at least THIS one would be perfect"

ugh

ChasingSquirrels Sun 12-Jul-09 22:43:14

FIL with ds2 - silence, then "was it planned?".
ds1 was 2.5y, we had been together 13 years, married for 7 at that point.

SolidGoldBrass Sun 12-Jul-09 23:16:40

To be fair there have been times when someone has told me that she is PG and I have not known whether the expected response is 'congratulations' or 'oh dear.' I tend to fall back on 'Oh my goodness!' at such moments and see what the next thing the person says is...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now