Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ovarian cyst in pregnancy - advice please!

(4 Posts)
flossie787 Sun 12-Jul-09 17:22:44

Hi all,

I'm 14 weeks 2 days pregnant and at my dating scan they found a 6cm cyst on my left ovary. 5 days later I had my Nuchal Fold scan and the cyst had grown to almost 10cm! I'm very worried because 6 and 7 months ago I had a ruptured ovarian cyst (twice) and ended up in A+E on morphine and a drip - I cannot even begin to describe the pain!

I'm getting conflicting info - some people are saying it will just be monitored and may go away by itself and others are saying it should be removed or drained as it's rare for such a large cyst to go away by itself in pregnancy. I've made an appointment to see my Consultant in two days, but I'm worried because I go to Florida for a week the day after my appointment - I'm scared that the cyst will rupture again either before my appointment, or whilst I'm on holiday!

I've been told that if it does rupture there's no danger to baby; but I know from experience that I will be in agony for days.

The cyst isn't causing too much trouble expect when I need to go to the toilet for a number two it feels very uncomfortable!

Has anyone had a similar experience? If so please could you let me know what the outcome was?

Many thanks!

Worried :-(

hawesmead5 Sun 12-Jul-09 19:58:02

Hi there,
I had a cyst found at 6 weeks with my last pregnancy measuring 18x 10cm. My consultant decided to drain it which she did successfully 5 times, but each time it grew back to its original size. However it gave a chance for baby to grow and take over space forcing my cyst into a walking stick shape which pushed up under my ribs. My consultant refused to drain after 20 weeks as she said it was too risky for baby. The cyst continued to grow and burst twice, this was not painful as it ruptured through the holes that had been made during the drainage (as these were weak places in the cyst) I had a lot of free fluid but this caused no problems. I gave birth to my ds naturally and had to have the cyst surgically removed 2 months after the birth, which was a difficult time as I needed alot of help from friends and family.
If I were you I would try to see your consultant asap as I know they do not like to drain or operate after 20 weeks.
Anway I'm am sure you will be fine and your lo too. Let us know how you get on. Sorry for the long winded story!

flossie787 Tue 14-Jul-09 08:10:36

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I'm seeing my Consultant today. I hope they sort somehing out as I'm very worried!
I'm glad everything turned out well for you :-)

flossie787 Tue 14-Jul-09 17:27:15

Update for anyone who is interested who might be going through something similar -
I've been to see the Consultant and she said they will just leave the cyst until my anomaly scan at 20 weeks (5 weeks from now) and only do something if it's grown bigger.
She didn't seem very concerned about it but apparently no-one has made any notes about it on my GP notes /maternity notes etc so that's a good sign - not!
She just said I should go to hospital if I get that bad pain (from rupture) again. So I guess I'll have to sit tight until 20 weeks...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now