Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

can coughing hard do any damage?

(7 Posts)
mum27 Sat 11-Jul-09 09:49:47

I have developed a really bad dry cough and can't stop coughing. It's giving me a headache and a sore stomach and I was wondering if this is bad for the baby, it's so bad I rarely get a moment to stop and feel if the baby's moving.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 11-Jul-09 21:43:23

Well in that coughing helps get oxygen into your lungs and displaces some of the gunk it's actually good. I know it feels bad but you won't cough the baby out or squash him.

You are probably rocking the baby to sleep with your hacking you know.

Try not to worry too much - it won't last too much longer I'm sure.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 11-Jul-09 21:47:02

It won't do the baby any harm at all, but I hope your pelvic floor is nice and strong grin

Hope you're better soon.

PacificDogwood Sat 11-Jul-09 21:47:29

You are not going to shuggle the baby lose wink!!
Sorry, you have a bad cough, 'tis rubbish and worse when you are expecting.
I had Whooping Cough whilst pregnant with DS2 and coughed so much and so hard that to this day I swear it was the coughing that shot my pelvic floor to pieces, not having babies grin.
DS2 was born at 31 weeks and my father to this day blames the cough: it wasn't, I had placenta praevia, so nought to do with coughing.
Hope you'll feel better soon smile.

lagaanisace Sat 11-Jul-09 21:49:47

I used to cough until I was sick. Constantly. I kept worrying about it, but DD was perfectly fine.

katster37 Sun 12-Jul-09 10:09:01

Have also had a terrible cough which lasted for 3 weeks, from 16 - 19 weeks. Dr and midwife assured me it was so well cushioned, it couldn't possibly do any harm. Hope you are feeling better though.

mum27 Sun 12-Jul-09 12:36:43

Thanks everyone for your replies, I was definitely worried that something might come loose :-). I guess if I'm rocking LO to sleep that would explain the slow downn in movements, or the lack of time to feel him. Pelvic floor muscles have been brilliant for the last 7 pregnancies this coughing has been embarrassing though blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now