im nearly 34wks with my first baby and it has been breech since my 12 week scan, the midwife has said they will send me for a scan at 36wks to see if it is breech and then discuss my options. does anyone know what my options will be like to be a bit prepared.
I think they can try and turn the baby. If not then I guess you will discuss whether or not you want a c-section, or if they think it's necessary.
It is possible to have a breech baby naturally... but they will probably want to talk to you about the implications of it.
...if you can find a good acupuncturist they can often "turn" breech babies with non invasive methods (no needles) We use one through our company in Swindon and she has turned 5 previous breech presented babies, all the women of which went on to have "normal" vaginal births. The acupuncturist says that it doesn't work in all cases, but her success rate is good - about 80% turn which has been fantastic for all those women that would have otherwise had a section (in our health authority if you'r ebreech then you have a section !). The key to her success is to not leave it too late as the baby has much less room to turn once you get, say to 37 weeks, so if you're deciding to look at alternative therapies then you will need to make a decision sooner rather than later. I know of two independent midwives who will and do deliver breech babies but then you have the cost of an independent midwife. I'd be really interested in whether your midwife discusses other options than a Section...always interested to get feedback on what other health authorities are doing. Good Luck !!!!
Pandagirl, if you don't manage to turn the baby and end up having a c-section it's not necessarily a terrible outcome. I had a c-section with dd and it was a calm and gentle experience where I felt very much in control, I held her immediately and breastfed her in the recovery room and was up and about myself very speedily. This is only my experience as all births are different I know.
All the best with whatever outcome you are seeking
Had this with 2nd dd. Had an attempt to turn the baby which for me was very uncomfortable as she wouldn't budge - but might be ok for you. Had to be reading for an emergency CS in case baby got into distress. Had a cs at 39 weeks - had baby's position checked before op - she was a footling breech. Op fine, recovery speedy. With dd3 I saw a physio who recommended tailor sitting and sitting down with legs sort of wide, relaxed & supported. This worked & dd turned herself. Hope everything goes ok for you.