Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fetal Dopplers...Anyone got one?

(7 Posts)
Bump02 Fri 10-Jul-09 19:09:01

Hi ladies,

I'm thinking of getting a Fetal Heart Doppler (they detect the baby's heart beat) you can hire them from £10 a month or you can buy them.

They are not recommended for under 12 weeks, but I am 16 weeks and heard baby's heart today again and just felt so releived!

I just want to know are they just a rubbish gimmick or do they work?? Be great to hear your stories

MrsJamin Fri 10-Jul-09 19:20:48

Not a good idea IMHO, would just make you paranoid and make you keep checking it. Once the baby is moving the best indication that everything's ok is frequent movements over the day.

SheWillBeLoved Fri 10-Jul-09 19:28:54

I got one after a previous miscarriage, was a great comfort but also, in hindsight, a waste of time. Never stopped me from worrying, the minute I turned it off any 'doubts' would just come flooding back. I have used it once last week since I started to feel movements.

Bump02 Fri 10-Jul-09 20:02:53

Thanks for replies I might get one for a couple of weeks, then when kicks start for real then I will send it back!

I am the first to admit I am completely paranoid, waited a long long time for 2nd baby so doing anything I can to ease my worried little mind!!

Just want son to hear babys heart too so he feels very involved, he is 8 now and this is going to be a big change for him He is so very excited and wanted to come today to midwife appt smile

Have also done research and there are no apparent risks of using doppler too much...well apart form psycological side effects!! wink

RetroMum1 Sat 11-Jul-09 07:38:28

I got one after a mc too and it was the best thing I ever brought.

Don't get one of the cheap ones with headphones as they can do more harm than good when you can't find the heartbeat.

I got the same one my midwife had and it was my favourite thing. I used it every now and again when I got in from work and at first it was really reassuring but once I was getting kicks it was still lovely and relaxing to hear.

I have now leant it to all my pregnant friends so it has been well worth the money,

trellism Sat 11-Jul-09 10:01:36

My husband got a cheap one. It was particularly good before I could feel any movement (hardly use it now), and we could also record the heartbeat and email it to relatives.

I think how easy it is to find the heartbeat depends on lots of factors: where the baby is, how wriggly it is and presumably where your placenta is. I used Boots aftersun gel to conduct the sound, which seems to work pretty well.

JemL Sat 11-Jul-09 12:50:06

I had one after a mmc in my first pregnancy. I had a medical grade one (rather than a "listening device" type one, and found it very reassuring - particularly for the period in between the 12 week scan and feeling movement. I never had a real problem finding the heartbeat, but it does take some practice - it has been more difficult in this pregnancy than with DS as I have an anterior placenta, it has definitely made a difference.

DS has enjoyed listening to this baby too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now