Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How early can a sonographer tell the gender of the baby?

(13 Posts)
Pinkjenny Fri 10-Jul-09 16:13:10

Just curious. And if you were told early, were they correct?

pinkypanther Fri 10-Jul-09 16:45:55

My friend was told it was a girl at a 10 week scan. Apparently they could see the fold of tissue.

She's not due till December so won't find out if they were correct until then.

I don't think it is usual to find out that early, I think normally it's more like 16 weeks.

CoteDAzur Fri 10-Jul-09 17:00:28

12 week scan. Correct both times, with DD and DS.

Claire2009 Fri 10-Jul-09 17:03:29

22wks, correct both times, dd/ds.

I think from about 12/13wks depending

mogend77 Fri 10-Jul-09 17:12:05

We had a nuchal scan at 12+2 & the sonographer took a stab. He said that they didn't look at the genitals at that stage (they aren't formed yet) but they can sometimes tell by looking at the formation of the pubic bone, which is different in boys and girls. He said it looked quite obvious in our case (a girl) but that even so at that stage they could only rely on being about 65% correct. He was a very experienced sonographer.

It seems he was right. We had our anomaly scan at 21 weeks and the sonographer agreed with him.

We're having a 4D scan next week so I'll try to remember to update you then as they should be able to confirm it (though after 2 sonographers in agreement I'd be pretty shocked if it had a sex change now!).

CoteDAzur Sat 11-Jul-09 17:28:08

They look at genitals, but at their "angle of dangle", because they look almost exactly the same at this stage - both exterior and looking pretty much the same.

Here is our hospital's sonographer explaining how to determine sex at the 12 week scan in a video presentation. It is in French but the scans & videos it shows are quite fascinating.

From 2nd minute, he shows development of genitals from 8 weeks onwards. 3:50 shows identical genitals for girls and boys at this stage. 3:59 onwards shows a fascinating animation of what happens to this bit in girls and boys in coming weeks (tip becomes clitoris in girls and penis in boys!). From 5:05, he shows how to determine girls and boys from 'angle of dangle'.

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Sat 11-Jul-09 21:23:10

We were told at the 12 week scan that they thought it was a girl.

At the 19 week scan they also thought it was a girl.

I am now 23 weeks, so have 4 more months to see if they were right!

lockets Sat 11-Jul-09 21:24:37

Message withdrawn

allaboutme Sat 11-Jul-09 21:27:09

12 weeks both time, both times sonogrpher was very certain and both times was correct

katster37 Sun 12-Jul-09 10:07:35

CotedAzur really enjoyed that video - amazing stuff! We have been told at 13+3 that we are having a boy - having my next scan on Wed at 21+4 so will see if they agree, although it seems likely that they will looking at that video and the stats! Will remember to post back on Wednesday and let you know.
Can I ask, people who found out at 12w scan, did the sonographers ask you if you wanted to know? Most people I know have not been allowed to find out so early so just wondered if you had to prise the info from them or if they offered to tell you?

CoteDAzur Mon 13-Jul-09 23:34:57

I'm glad you enjoyed it smile

He asked us if we wanted to know, by the way.

mogend77 Tue 14-Jul-09 16:45:22

Yes mine asked. It was a private nuchal scan though - so I guess not subject to the vagaries of hospital policy.

mogend77 Fri 24-Jul-09 10:25:30

I said I would update! Had 4D scan last week and it (very clearly) agreed with the nuchal scan & the anomaly scan that it's a girl. So yes we had a correct answer at 12 weeks. But it was from a very experienced sonographer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now