Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

pregnancy acne??

(11 Posts)
osaraf Fri 10-Jul-09 12:31:19

I am 20 weeks pg and since week 2 or 3 have broken out in awful acne . I was taking dianette until 3 months before I got pregnant as I suffer from bad skin anyway, but now it's 10 times worse. I don't want to use anything harsh or too chemical as i've read it's not recommended. Anyone else suffering and tips for what might help??

maybebaby23 Fri 10-Jul-09 13:08:44

I could have written that post! Im suffering with it too. I also have bad skin anyway and dont want to use chemicals. Hope someone comes along with some ideas!

heavenstobetsy Fri 10-Jul-09 13:11:01

I have resorted to a good old fashioned dab of TCP liquid - it hasn't cleared them up completely but it has controlled them a bit

HalfMumHalfBiscuit Sun 12-Jul-09 19:58:01

Hi I was suffering with really bad acne ever since I got pregnant but it calmed down loads after I got to 24/5 weeks pregnant they all went away and my skin is loads better. Its the hormones I'm afraid. God knows what is going to happen once the baby is born!

HalfMumHalfBiscuit Sun 12-Jul-09 20:00:02

Sorry, meant to say. Don't squeeze em! I use a spot gel by origins (no nasty chemicals) and cleanse and tone really well. Using less moisturiser on the acne prone areas can help too.

raindroprhyme Sun 12-Jul-09 21:47:48

i have awful skin all the time and have been doing oil cleansing method for 3 months now. see style and beauty section.

i am now 10 weeks pregnant and am getting isolated spots but not the face on fire acne i normally suffer with.

i pop clinque on the spot gel syuff on invidual spots nightly after OCM then use savlon in the morning after washing face with water in shower in morning. then do moisurize make up etc.

would highly reccomend OCM it is the only thing that has worked for me in the last 12 years of suffering. i have been under a dermotolgist all that time and had every concotion put on my skin and ingested horrendous chemicals with out affect.

Walnut8 Sun 12-Jul-09 22:20:43

I was using Diacneal (with retinaldehyde) and wipes with salicylic acid to treat my acne but have had to stop now im preg.

At the moment, I've switched to wipes with some zinc in them to take makeup off (Simple oil control) and overnight treatment gel with witch-hazel and tea-tree oil (Boots), which are working really well. I've tried to do some online research about using zinc, tea-tree and witch-hazel topically - they dont seem to come up in lists of things to avoid so I hope they are safe to use! I might have to look into origins stuff tho as fewer chemicals would be good

hairymelons Sun 12-Jul-09 22:23:21

My spots got really bad when I was pregnant but have cleared up since my son was born- think it's the breastfeeding, similar hormones to being on the pill maybe??
Sorry no more useful advice than that, nothing topical ever seemed to help my skin

osaraf Mon 13-Jul-09 09:21:54

Thanks everyone, i'll have a look at the OCM. Obviously a healthy baby is more important than having bad skin, even though it gets me down sometimes! I bought some mineral makeup at the weekend so am hoping that will help cover them a bit without making them worse.

MamaLazarou Mon 13-Jul-09 09:24:02

Oh, you poor thing, you have my sympathies. I find Clearasil pads to be very effective - the little rough, round ones in a jar.

I have suffered with acne all my life, since the age of 12, and my skin's cleared right up now I'm pregnant (hooray!)

Better to suffer for 9 months and have clear skin the rest of the time smile

ihavenosecrets Mon 13-Jul-09 09:28:14

I had never had a spot on my face in my life until I was pregnant. I suffered with really bad pregnancy related acne from 8 weeks onwards, I didn't find that anything really helped. On the plus side within days of giving birth it had vanished! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now