Talk

Advanced search

Pasteurised Brie - where from?

(9 Posts)
PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 09-Jul-09 10:00:29

I am trying to find some pasteurised brie, none of the ones on sainsburys website say whether they are or not, although lots people have said to me they do pasteurised at most supermarkets now.

Anyone bought any recently? Where from? Make? I am wanting some brie and strawberry jam on crumpets grin

sifuentes Thu 09-Jul-09 10:15:04

They are nearly all pasteurised really - all the commercial ones are - unless they are Brie de Meaux. As you may or may not know 'lait cru' means raw milk.

HOwever i have come to the conclusion that it's all a load of bollocks (helped by readnig that Zoe Williams article). Lots of cheeses are unpasteurised and totally fine. Most parmesan for example. I would be slightly concerned if something had been sat being circled by flies on the table in the midday sun at some french market but barely even then. But then I a massive cheesaholic.

Also there are those who say that it's the softness rather than the pasteurisation.

I ate a whole mini camembert (pasteurised) the other day. It was so perfectly ripe. And I don't feel in the least bit guilty. I wont' do it all the time but when you have MS it is so difficult to find anything you actually want to eat that when you do my philosophy is just bloody eat it and enjoy it.

Sorry for the ranty ramble, but hope that helps!!!!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 09-Jul-09 10:28:26

yes, indeed <runs off to add it to her shopping list>

It is my birthday on Sunday, and DH said he will do anything I want fr breakfast - this is what I want grin. On his birthday I tried to do eggs benedict and i created SUCH a mess, this time, I want simple and yummy! And something I can eat in bed grin

sifuentes Thu 09-Jul-09 10:33:16

I had eggs benedict yesterday - with nice runny yolks. So delicious. God i am such a rebel. grin

Hope you have a lovely birthday. I have to say brie and strawberry jam is sounding nice to me - and i'm normally quite the purist with these tings. hormones are weird... x

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 09-Jul-09 10:59:49

oh brie and strawberry jam is just the best, but only on hot buttered crumpets, and with a quick blast under the grill, and only with decent conserve, none of this cheap stuff!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 09-Jul-09 11:00:30

I love eggs benedict but only when I go out as I just cannot do the hollondaise sauce properly sad i need to practice a bit more.

Longtalljosie Thu 09-Jul-09 11:16:48

Without wishing to depress anyone, the problem with runny cheeses is not actually solved by pasteurising them. Obviously pasteurising them sorts out any listeria in them at that moment - but the problem is more that they have an environment in which listeria can easily grow. Which is why parmesan is seen to be safer, despite not being pasteurised - as it's an environment where listeria cannot easily grow.

See here and scroll down to the bit about runny cheeses.

That said - it's everyone's personal choice. I have runny yolks as long as the eggs are lion-branded, for example.

On the Zoe Williams article - it was immensely reassuring, but I found some figures on listeria in the UK afterwards which weren't quite as reassuring. I've been trying to find them again for you, but can't at the moment

sifuentes Thu 09-Jul-09 11:24:55

the best way is to melt the butter get it really hot and then put it all in a mixer - it's magic - you have to pour it straight in from the heat though.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 09-Jul-09 11:26:47

I think the butter was not hot enough each time hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now