Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I eat COOKED goat's cheese?

(5 Posts)
blondieminx Wed 08-Jul-09 11:21:39

Sorry, another paranoid food q!

In the "Bump2baby" leaflet on eating in pregnancy it says avoid Chevre goats cheese. Does that still apply if I make a goats cheese quiche? Is it ok if the cheese is cooked do you think? Will obviously wash my hands with antibac soap after handling the raw stuff!

Thanks ladies

muffle Wed 08-Jul-09 11:25:34

I always assumed it was OK to eat the "banned" stuff, like deli ham and goat's cheese, if it was cooked. Listeria is definitely killed by cooking - just make sure "cooked" does mean really hot right through.

hobbgoblin Wed 08-Jul-09 11:28:10

If it is pasteurised eat it raw, cooked, upside down...

Zorra Wed 08-Jul-09 11:57:55

Hobs, I think you may be wrong there - I went to a session with Neal's Yard Dairy about pregnancy and cheese (I am a leeetle bit obsessed blush ) and they were quite clear that it isn't related to pasteurisation but to the maturity of cheese.

I eat all 'banned' cheeses cooked (they are supposed to have 'bubbled' at some point) so still much to enjoy

blondieminx Wed 08-Jul-09 13:22:40

thanks ladies - I shall look forward to eating that quiche guilt free! Thanks for putting my mind at rest!

Zorra - what a fabulous idea! I may see if they are still running that course!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now