Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Thoughts on taking antibiotics in pregnancy

(3 Posts)
moonbird Tue 07-Jul-09 17:01:07

I am 25+ weeks, with no. 2, and been given a seven day course of antibiotics. I don't really like the idea of taking them during pregnancy and would just like some opinions/experiences please.

(taking them for a lump in my armpit being investigated)

3littlefrogs Tue 07-Jul-09 17:07:55

One of the things I do is part of my job is is to do with drug safety in pregnancy.

Some women are unfortunate enough to become seriously ill while pregnant. They end up in hospital having masses of life saving drugs.

Generally I think doctors have to weigh up the risks and benefits of treating potentially serious conditions and the potential for risk to the baby.

Have you discussed with the doctor the pros and cons of the antibiotics? What are the risks to your health of not taking them?

If the lump in your armpit is definitely infected, then you are probably safer to take them.

It is more complicated than just comparing notes with others who have taken antibiotics.

For example - if you have severe urinary tract infection, your chances ofending up with kidney damage and premature labour are likely to be much greater than any risk to your baby from taking the antibiotics to treat the infection, IYSWIM.

bubblagirl Tue 07-Jul-09 17:25:36

i had to have 3 lots of antibiotic in pregnancy kidney infection every time the doctor will only give if its needed and infection needs treating

bodies way of fighting infection can cause stress etc which in turn can affect baby take them and it will heal quicker and your body wont find its own way of fighting infection which can be stressful for both

there are over 17 safe antibiotics that can be taken in pregnancy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now