Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Applying for a permanent position when pregnant

(5 Posts)
MarshaBrady Tue 07-Jul-09 16:14:24

I've had a great time up til now 'resting' at home but really feel like doing some work. It's great timing as ds is at nursery 3 days anyway etc etc

Am 17 weeks pregnant, a good (and very rare) brief has just been emailed to me and really want to say yes to going for it.

I probably do not stand a chance if they know before the interview I am pregnant.

I have to say something don't I?

gigglewitch Tue 07-Jul-09 16:18:01

They're not allowed to discriminate, so technically speaking it's up to you whether you say so or not. If it was a fixed term poistion then I'd say yes you are obliged to tell them as you wouldn't be able to fulfil the demands of the post - ie see it to completion, but a permanent position is different. If you are right for the job and it is right for you then you should have a good chance regardless.
I was offered(and took) a senior management post when i was pg with ds1 - perhaps it depends on the industry.

MarshaBrady Tue 07-Jul-09 16:22:22

Oh that sounds promising, well done. I will have a small bump and thinking of just turning up to interview and hoping they will like me -possibly better bet than just being 'pregnant candidate' at this stage.

Did you say something before or turn up to interview?

potplant Tue 07-Jul-09 16:40:23

You might as well go for it but try not to get your hopes up too high. They might not be allowed to discriminate but that doesn't mean that they wont.

I thnk I would probably say something at interview stage rather than at application stage.

Obviously they aren't going to ask you if you are pregnant, but may just decide not to hire you if they think you are being dishonest.

MarshaBrady Tue 07-Jul-09 16:42:27

Yes I will say something at interview stage, probably will turn them off but worth a try I suppose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now