Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Please share your experiences, just had 6 week scan, no heartbeat

(31 Posts)
Sunnydale Mon 06-Jul-09 15:43:07

Hello, I get nervous starting new threads but here goes. I went to the EPU this morning as I just had a bad feeling. My LMP was May 16th, though I ov'd on CD 23 (according to the Clearblue fertility monitor). By my calculations this makes me no less than 6 weeks pg, but the doctor said I looked to be 4 - 5 weeks. They could see an empty sac but no heartbeat. They gave me another pg test which was +ive, then told me to come back in 2 weeks time. Has anyone else been through this? Is there any cause for hope, given that I'm sure of the date of my LMP? Is there anything I can do, like have a blood test to measure HCG levels? (I wasn't offered this, and forgot to ask). Is it possible for the bean just to stop growing, yet not have cramping or bleeding? I'm just trying to avoid waiting two weeks in hellish limbo, as I've been here before, same time last year, and it hurts so much (emotionally - I'm not in physical pain). Thank you for any help or advice you can give.

lollyheart Mon 06-Jul-09 15:52:19

4- 5 weeks is still early to see a heart beat, try not to worry easier said then done i know.

I had a scan at 5 and a half weeks and saw an empty sac, went back two weeks later and saw a heart beat.

beanieb Mon 06-Jul-09 15:55:19

Oh Sunnydale, so sorry to hear this news. I experienced this very same thing, at just over 7 weeks, about a month ago. Unfortunately my second scan showed that I was only measuring 6.2 weeks when I should have been nearer nine and I had a medically managed miscarriage a couple of weeks ago.

I think they have to wait 2 weeks between scans as 6 weeks is very early and they need to wait a certain amount of time just to be sure. Having said that, assuming you had a trans-vaginal scan, they should have been able to find a heartbeat at 6 weeks. I asked for my second scan to be put forward so I actually had it about 8 days after the first ut it may be that they will make you wait the two weeks before scanning again. You could call the EPU again and ask if it can be brought forward - they were very lovely to me and they do understand how hard the waiting is.

There can be some hope, I have read that some people just can't see a heartbeat this early but sadly for me it turned out to be a false hope.

All I can say is I really truly sympathise with what you are going through and if your experience is anything like mine I am sure you are googling all you can to see if there is some hope. I hope you have someone there to support you through this, did anyone know you were pregnant? It is the most horrible limbo. I wasn't offered any kind of hormone tests but I didn't ask for any because I felt like they would think I was being pushy. They can test but I think they would have to test you over a few days.

I know from my own experience that I can't really say anything that will make you feel better but if you need to talk about your feelings and emotions please do. xx

lollyheart Mon 06-Jul-09 15:56:12

I should say i thought i was 7 weeks but i was told i was only 5.

Wheelybug Mon 06-Jul-09 15:58:13

hi sunnydale - by my calcs if you did ov bang on cd23 that would make you 6 weeks just today ? if you got a positive on cd23 you still may not have ov for 48 hours and it can still take a day or so after ov. So you could be 5 and a bit weeks. Measurements can be slightly ouot too at this stage.

That said, the bean could have stopped growing and you haven't m/c sadly. This is called a missed m/c.

It is an awful wait - I had a 3 week wait once after an inconclusive scan followingf a previous m/c - I was lucky and all was ok.

Try and get some blood tests done - your HCG levels should be rising dramatically at this stage so this might give you some indication of what is going on.

Good luck,

TotalChaos Mon 06-Jul-09 16:03:59

I've been through this, and all turned out well. dating pgs seems to assume a 28 day cycle with you oving slap bang in the middle on day 23. So if you ov'd on day 23 that could easily be putting you at least week behind where you would think based on LMP. The blood test to measure HCG levels can cause unnecesary stress - I pushed for this, and wish I hadn't as I was told based on the results they were concerned I had an ectopic PG (as my HCG levels didn't go up the way the should in most healthy PGs). The repeat scan is far more reliable than doing HCG levels in showing if the PG is going OK.

Sorry you are going through this hellish situation again, it is awful, you just don't know what to think while you are waitign for the next scan.

Sunnydale Mon 06-Jul-09 16:20:47

Hello, thank you all so much for your replies; I was worried nobody would respond. I went to the EPU on my own, because I didn't want to put my DH through it. His father died last week and the funeral is tomorrow. At first the EPU did think it was ectopic and I'd have to have an operation straight away, but then the second scan picked up a sac in the uterus. So I suppose at least now I won't miss the funeral by having to have an operation. But I'm not going to tell DH. I can't do it. Not at the moment. I'm going to tell nobody and just live with it for two weeks.

I just don't feel pg. My boobs are sore but that's all. I don't feel sick, I can eat anything I want, I don't feel extra tired... all this is what made me go to the EPU, despite having had no bleeding or cramps. Beanieb, did you have PG symptoms, if you don't mind me asking, or were they suspicious by their absence?

I know things can go either way - it's just that it only seems yesterday that I was waiting for the results of a CVS scan after tests showed a 1 in 2 chance of Downs, though in fact it was almost a year ago. I thought this time things might go more smoothly, but alas no. The waiting is soul destroying. Every morning you wake up, and for a moment, you forget. And then you remember. There are no words to describe that feeling when you remember.

Thanks again for all your advice, it really helps esp as I can't tell anyone in RL.

beanieb Mon 06-Jul-09 16:28:05

Hiya Sunnydale - I feel bad that I have given you a negative experience while everyone else was being positive sad - I do know that there can be hope and have read many positive stories over the last few weeks.

I didn't have any pregnancy symptoms apart from bigger boobs. At the time I just assumed I was one of those lucky people who just don't get any and it was my first pregnancy so wasn't suspicious. First I knew anything was really wrong was at the scan. In a way I was thankful that I had an early scan rather than getting to 12 weeks and then being told.

So sorry to hear about your DH's father, it must be a really difficult time for you all. Wishing you all the luck in the world and I really hope that the second scan is more positive. Remeber, no symptooms doesn't always mean there is a problem. x

chamoiscreased Mon 06-Jul-09 16:34:53

Sunnydale.
I was about to post exactly this. I went to the EPU this morning thinking I was 8 wks.(LMP May 11th) Scan puts me at more like 6, with no fetal pole let alone heartbeat. I feel distraught. Have to go back in 2 very long weeks to see if they can see any change, though the doc I saw didn't sound too positive and was trying to mentally prepare me for a m/c. So I can't give you any hope but we can get through the next 2 weeks together x

Sunnydale Mon 06-Jul-09 16:36:24

Thanks, Beanieb. But I know it's gonna be bad news. I just know, because of having no symptoms and being so sure of my dates. Are you still trying ttc, or did you have a happy ending? I don't know if I can hack it any more after this. But maybe it will get easier. Is there anything I can google that explains why a baby doesn't grow, or is it just one of those things? I am assuming the bean just didn't have all the "building blocks" necessary to be viable, so maybe googling will just upset me more.

beanieb Mon 06-Jul-09 16:56:28

I am still trying. Have to say that the 8 days I was waiting for the second scan was awful but by the time I got to the second scan I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that it wasn't going to be bad news and once I had the miscarriage I felt a lot better. Still have my ups and downs but we will carry on trying. It's only been a few weeks and I haven't had my period yet so no idea when I will be fertile again.

Everyone has been lovely and I think it is better to get some support if you can.

I think you are right about the building blocks. The doctor at the EPU told me not to get hung up on the reasons why and that most likely it was a genetic thing which won't repeat. I really do sympathinse when you say you are not sure you can hack it any more. I think it does get easier but I really do know how hard it is to stay positive. Make sure you take care of yourself. x

Sunnydale Mon 06-Jul-09 18:49:17

Thanks, Beanieb. I am sorry you are still trying and thank you for sharing, even though I'm sure it's painful. Are you on any other threads?

And hello, Chamoiscreased. Shall we stay on this thread or do you prefer to start another? I'm so sorry to hear that you are in the same boat as me. Have you been trying long? Is this your first pg? I have one DD, and last year I had a termination for Down's. Usually I don't post that bit of my tale as I worry very much about being judged, understandably so, as I know there are some wonderful mothers of DS children on MN, who are rightly in disagreement of the choice I made. Anyway. That's my story. I've been here before, in the waiting room, but that doesn't make it any easier - in fact, it makes it harder, as I was expecting the horrible bit to start at the 12 week scan, not this early.

Have you any PG symptoms? Since the transvaginal scan this morning (I had to have two, one with the sonographer and another with a doctor) I have had mild cramping, but I think that's just because the scan was quite rough and invasive, as they had to do my ovaries and tubes to check it wasn't ectopic. I don't feel as though I will bleed. It's so strange. I don't feel I'll bleed but I don't think the bean is growing either. How do you feel? Thinking of you xx

chamoiscreased Mon 06-Jul-09 19:29:20

I don't mind what thread we end up on or I can set up CAT if you prefer to chat more privately?
This is my first, much longed for pg, a small miracle in itself given my chronic health issues.
I did have pg symptoms which have faded recently. I am still nauseous but I think that is worry as much as anything else. I've been cramping since my scan too and had ovaries etc checked too. The scan seemed to take forever.
Today I have swung between thinking 'the doctors have clearly got it wrong, everything will be fine' and moments of utter despair.
I would quite like to opt out of life for 2 weeks and have someone wake me up when it's all over. I have not been able to do anything but sit on the sofa staring into space (and occasionally at Mumsnet!) since this morning x

Sunnydale Mon 06-Jul-09 20:47:58

What's a CAT?
What is wrong with your health? If you don't mind me asking.
I am definitely cramping now - it's not that painful, but it's worse than anything I had with my last pgs. I don't really care if it hurts, tbh. Phyical pain, I can cope with. Well, I say that now...
I'm just devastated. I'm 39, so I feel like this was my last chance, what with my last pg ending as it did. How old are you? I don't know what to do with myself tonight. It's so silly - I've been slowly getting through the entire box set of the West Wing: deliberately slowly, as my "ambition" was to save some episodes to watch when I was pg. The other night, I was desperate to put it on so I could say I had, in case the pregnancy didn't last. It's as though I knew from the beginning. I took photos of both the pg tests, almost to immortalise them against their future fate. Did you have a bad feeling? Hey, maybe you will be fine. I'm pretty sure I won't be as I'm 100% sure of my dates, and I can only assume the bean stopped growing a week or so back. Thinking of you. Are you with anyone? I am on my own, as DH has gone up already for the funeral. It's not that bad, though. I am crying quietly so as not to wake DD!

Sunnydale Mon 06-Jul-09 20:48:04

What's a CAT?
What is wrong with your health? If you don't mind me asking.
I am definitely cramping now - it's not that painful, but it's worse than anything I had with my last pgs. I don't really care if it hurts, tbh. Phyical pain, I can cope with. Well, I say that now...
I'm just devastated. I'm 39, so I feel like this was my last chance, what with my last pg ending as it did. How old are you? I don't know what to do with myself tonight. It's so silly - I've been slowly getting through the entire box set of the West Wing: deliberately slowly, as my "ambition" was to save some episodes to watch when I was pg. The other night, I was desperate to put it on so I could say I had, in case the pregnancy didn't last. It's as though I knew from the beginning. I took photos of both the pg tests, almost to immortalise them against their future fate. Did you have a bad feeling? Hey, maybe you will be fine. I'm pretty sure I won't be as I'm 100% sure of my dates, and I can only assume the bean stopped growing a week or so back. Thinking of you. Are you with anyone? I am on my own, as DH has gone up already for the funeral. It's not that bad, though. I am crying quietly so as not to wake DD!

nickyb86 Mon 06-Jul-09 21:14:23

I completely understand what your going though. I went in for a scan for a suspected eptopic at what i calculated was 6 weeks and there was no heartbeat.
I was told to go back a week later and there was a heartbeat. The embryo only measured 6+1 when i thought i was 7+1. so it maybe a case its too early to detect (everyone is different) or that your not as far gone as you thought.

Wishing you the best of luck for 2 weeks times xx

AngelaCarleen Tue 07-Jul-09 19:02:13

Hi Sunnydale

I had a scan at 6 weeks because I was bleeding, they could see a gestation and yolk sac but no baby and so no heartbeat, went back ten days later (longest ten days of my life)and there was a 7.6mm baby with a heartbeat. Don't lose hope.

xx

Sunnydale Tue 07-Jul-09 19:02:31

Hello, if anyone is still on this thread. Just to let you know I started bleeding this morning. So it's all over for me. Thanks for your help and support and I hope your tales have happier endings xx

Happypetal Tue 07-Jul-09 19:15:37

Sunnydale, I'm so so sorry to hear that. Thinking of you ....

Wheelybug Tue 07-Jul-09 20:13:07

So sorry Sunnydale - hope you're being looked after.

bettyjack Tue 07-Jul-09 20:48:34

I have just been through this..(today in fact).

I thought I was 6 weeks over 2 weeks ago howver at EPU they said I was just under 5 weeks. I just felt something was wrong.

They said wait 2 weeks. So went again. by this time on my dates I should have been nearly 8 weeks but scan showed me at just under 6 weeks, fetus, pole but no heartbeat. She said for me to come back again this Friday. However sadly I miscarried today. The bleeding start Sunday and I properly miscarried today as TMI came out.

I am so sorry about this for you as I really was in denial for a while. I was sooooo full of hope for the little bean but it just didnt work out this time.

I hope all is ok with you.

Sunnydale Tue 07-Jul-09 20:51:51

I'm so sorry Bettyjack. Let's join a thread for people like us. Not sure which one but sure there must be one. Hugs to you

sobloodystupid Tue 07-Jul-09 20:53:06

oh sunnydale was really hoping for a little miracle for you- so sorry. sad

rainbowdays Tue 07-Jul-09 22:26:52

Sunnydale - Sorry to here you did not have good news. There is a pregnancy loss / miscarriage thread which might help. I have just had a m/c a month ago and found it helpful chatting to people here.

beanieb Tue 07-Jul-09 23:11:49

Sunnydale, so sorry to hear this. Please don't give up hope but do take care of yourself. I've had my ups and downs and will probably carry on having them but am determined to stay positive.

thinking of you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now