Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone want to give up smoking with me?

(43 Posts)
bumpsoon Mon 06-Jul-09 08:38:13

Ok am failing miserably on the giving up smoking front and wondered if anyone else is in the same posistion and wants to try giving up together ?

elliepac Mon 06-Jul-09 08:44:48

am not pregnant but wouldn't mind giving it a go. Have had several half arsed attempts and did manage to give up whilst pregant (both times) but have always been drawn back to the evil weed. Have you a plan of action?

bumpsoon today for me is day 1! I have been smoke free for 7 1/2 hours smile

I have kept it quiet as i have felt so ashamed but am on day 1! Does your local maternnity unit have a quit smoking midwife??

I'm on patches, gum and inhalators! When are you planning on giving up?

bumpsoon Mon 06-Jul-09 11:48:43

I am seeing the smoking cessation lady ,infact she is due any minute ,i was supposed to give up (3rd attempt) on thursday .Feel really crap about it . Have got patches and inhalator in cupboard all ready

madremia09 Mon 06-Jul-09 12:36:48

i gave up when i was pregnant with dd1. Things like thinking of the baby choking in the womb helped, images that made me stop.Thinking thoughts like if there was a problem with the baby or it was born prematurely how you would feel.
whenever you get the urge to smoke go on the internet and look up articles on why it is a bad idea!! maybe put the money you would spend in a tin and every week treat you or your new baby to something special!!!! good luck!!! it really is the best thing you can do.but it is not by any means easy so if you slip up, try again!

id be careful when using patches etc as ive heard that although it is preferrable to smoking they can be very bad too.....if you can get advice on that one.

good luck!!!

bumpsoon Mon 06-Jul-09 12:38:56

right the smoking lady has been and i am stopping as of bedtime tonight ,will probably be on here loads when a craving hits !! I just want to get 24hrs under my belt .

Dophus Mon 06-Jul-09 13:21:47

BFP yesterday - had sneaky two just now but determined to stop.

It really really does have to stop

I stopped with each of my previous pg's but ended up sliding down the slope each time.

elliepac Mon 06-Jul-09 16:01:00

i really really really have to stop. AM going to join you bumpsoon. As of bedtime tonight elliepac will be a smoke free zone....fingers crossed

bumpsoon Mon 06-Jul-09 16:50:39

Great ellipac , tomorrow we will no longer be beholden to the dreaded weed grin I am going to write a list tonight of things id like to buy for this baby and then work out the value in packets of cigarettes . How long have you smoked for ? im at the 20yr mark now sad

bumpsoon Mon 06-Jul-09 16:51:22

Dophus are you going to join in ?

elliepac Tue 07-Jul-09 07:05:54

morning all, well first morning and so far so hard. Have been smoking for 14 years and this is going to be particularly hard because DH smokes and is not giving up so am going to need nerves of steel. Am off to work soon so hopefully that will help me during the day tonight will be the problem...one step at a time. Good luck today, will report back tonight on the first day free of the evil weed.

bumpsoon Tue 07-Jul-09 08:00:25

Snap ellipac my dh is a confirmed smoker with no intention of giving up , we dont smoke in the house though ,i have told him to keep his fags with him at all times today ,so i cant sneak one .I find this time 8-9am and 3.30-9pm the worst ! I keep thinking if i can manage an hour at a time and get 24hrs behind me then i can do it . So far ive managed 14 and a half hours ,ok most of those were asleep grin but that means ive only got another 10 hours to go ! What do your kids think of you smoking ellipac?

Dophus Tue 07-Jul-09 10:43:09

I'm joining you - I haven't had a cigarett today.

I have smoked for 20 years - a pack a day until 4 years ago when I quite wheilst pregnant. Started smoking again following each baby but so heavily (approx 3-4 unless drinking).

DH is a reformed smoker and hates me smoking. He grew to accept that I would smoke whilst drinking. Has no idea that for the last 6 months I have been smoking daily.

I have a deal with the boys (well DS1) - I won't tell Daddy when he's naughty and he won't tell daddy when I'm naughty blush.
Tio be honest he doesn't seem to notice. DH has started to tell him about his father who died of lung cancer...

Floopy21 Tue 07-Jul-09 10:54:47

Please may I join? [stands up & clears tar blackened throat] My name's Floopy, & i've been a smoker for 12 years. A roll-you-own girl me, well not anymore...As of bedtime tonight I'd like to join the cancer free club! smile

bumpsoon Tue 07-Jul-09 11:07:46

Welcome dophus and floopy ,well im not doing badly ,got a patch on and apart from the constant inner psychological battle my brain is having im fine . I keep thinking ,the first 3 days are the worst ,so come the weekend i will be a picture of serenity hmm. Ive got the smoking cessation lady coming tomorrow afternoon to check my carbon dioxide levels ,which after just 24hrs should be the same as a non smoker ,how cool is that !

Hi all, glad to hear its going well for you all!

Im on day 2 right now with patches, i found the gun nice to start with but then it gets quite yukky so have not had any of it yet today! Been puffing my little inhalator alot.

Yesterday was very hard as had bad news at work but i got through it, last night was fine! The patches seem ok but its the hand to mouth motion im missing! Just had a phone call that stressed me out so i dashed to my handbag rooted through thinking please let there be some baccy in there! LUCKILY nothing was found so i grabbed my stick and am puffing away!

First 3 days are the worse i cant seem to see the end of the next 24 hours yet, the sooner it gets better the better! Cessation nurse gave me a stress buster to squeeze which helps as its a nicotene receptor from the tv advert so its like squishing it away! grin

I've been coughing a bit today wondering if its bit clearing from my lungs does that happen so soon?? I've been smoke free now for 36 hours! yayyyy. Not stopping my heart racing at the thought of one though sad

Good luck to you all!

elliepac Tue 07-Jul-09 15:18:18

afternoon all, thought i would check in to let you know how first day is going. I WANT A CIGARETTE......NOW. That's how my day is going grin. Am a little grumpy but have so far managed 8 hours without one.

Bumpsoon, my two are only DS 5 and DD 1. 5 year old doesn't really say much about it obviously one year old too young to understand. We smoke outside and i have explained to him that we do that because smoking is bad for you. He replied, 'so why do you do it then mummy?' Bloody good question really grin.

I WANT A CIGARETTE

Dophus Tue 07-Jul-09 15:34:59

So far so good - but only accasionally smoke at work. The test will be when I get home from work.

I'm not using aids this time due to pg. On previous attempts I was unsuccessful on patches (hey - if you smoke on these you get a real buzz...). Found gum initially good but I quickly became addicted to the gum blush

Puffers were good but again found hard to kick as I was using them all the time (i.e. int he office where obviously I wouldn't normally smoke)

bumpsoon Tue 07-Jul-09 17:32:39

Ellipac have to say i have cheated ,dont panic ,i havent had a ciggy but i have just slept for 3 hours !!!! no kids until 6pm you see grinStill got the patch on ,would probably of had a cig now with a nice coffee but dh guarding them as requested

bumpsoon Tue 07-Jul-09 17:38:38

Iateall ,36hrs is brilliant ,youre half way there ,you will be a picture of serenity very very soon ,keep repeating 'my body is a temple ' grin

elliepac Tue 07-Jul-09 18:55:06

Bollocks, bollocks and triple bollocks, I have just let the side down blush. DH went for a bath when he came in from work, left his ciggies out and (can't tell you the rest am too ashamed of myself). Can't even manage one freaking day. Right, no more. I suspect the trick now is to put it down to experience so to speak (for that read bad day at work) and get back on the wagon.

Iateall, well done. I am going to try and follow your marvellous example.

Sorry.

[walks away with tail between legs]

bumpsoon Tue 07-Jul-09 19:21:30

do you know what i think this time is the hardest time, because this is the time i would be winding down ,going out for a cigarette to chill out . I even went to the garage and bought cigarettes for my dh and none for myself . Dont worry ellipac ,have a plan and work out a day that you think is going to be the easiest for you , perhaps you hadnt managed to prepare yourself mentally enough first ,good luck and dont give up tryin g to give up .

Dophus Wed 08-Jul-09 08:11:09

How did you all get on?

I didn't have one last night or this morning. Been 36 hours now.

Bumpsoon - are you pregnant? (There is a clue in your alias)

Zorra Wed 08-Jul-09 12:14:38

I found it really easy to give up initially, didn't smoke at all for the first trimester, then had emotional rollercoaster nonsense and smoked regularly (probably about 15 a week) for months 4 and 5, then occasional ciggies month 6 and nothing since then (am now 37 weeks)

At the time, I was such a mess I felt like I couldn't cope without smoking, but now I have to go for a scan because they think the baby is too little, and I am getting crushing guilt from all the cigarettes I smoked in those middle months

Dophus Wed 08-Jul-09 12:26:49

Don't feel guilty - it's highly unlikely to be related. Most growth is the the last trimester.

15 a week is still low.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now