Talk

Advanced search

ring midwife or not? braxton hicks and watery down there!

(129 Posts)
VirtualFairy Tue 17-May-05 12:28:46

i am having braxton hicks every 4-10 minutes this morning and have had them over the last few days but have started timing them just to see how many i am having in an hour, In the last hour i have had 11 contractions. i am only 22 weeks so if this is preterm labour this is a major prob! i am also getting watery discharge down there - it came on yesterday, and last night had to change pants in he night as was wet, i have smelled it and smells "clean" i think if it was urine it wouldnt smell so "nice" sorry its a bit mad describing my discharge as nice smelling lol.
If i ring the midwife and she says chill out you re panicing for nothing i will not be relived and if she says come in and be tested for fluid leaking and monitoring of contractions i will be freaked out. if i do go in and watery discharge stops and contractions stop, midwifes will think i am a paranoid nutter, especially because this is not my first baby.
does anyone thing these symtoms are normal and should i stop panicing and chill, or shall i call the midwife anyway?

ggglimpopo Tue 17-May-05 12:30:15

Message withdrawn

SleepyJess Tue 17-May-05 12:30:48

Hi rushing.. but if they are not painful they are still on BHs and BHs won't cause labour.

lockets Tue 17-May-05 12:32:09

Message withdrawn

Louise1980 Tue 17-May-05 12:36:12

Get it checked. When I was pg with ds2 i was back and forward like a bowling ball! Looked like one 2 by teh end! Never once was I made to feel like I wqas over reacting. Infact I was always told 'Better to get it checked'

Phone now and let us know what happens.

lockets Tue 17-May-05 12:40:08

Message withdrawn

VirtualFairy Tue 17-May-05 12:41:36

i think i will ring them then- i feel so nervous- how stupid!
sorry about posting this message twice my computer seems to be acting up today

lockets Tue 17-May-05 12:42:41

Message withdrawn

pinkmama Tue 17-May-05 12:43:53

Good Luck. Think its best to ring and check. Let us know how it goes X

VirtualFairy Tue 17-May-05 13:04:03

arghhh just as i thought - weird midwife on the other end of the phone, i think i rang the wrong place! but she did tell me about a day assessment unit at the hospital and suggested i call the delivery suite. i think i will just pop down to the day assessment unit and see what happens from there, the delivery suite seems a bit serious.

on the plus side i was on the phone to my partner and his boss over heard the conversation and has given him the rest of the day off. lol

lockets Tue 17-May-05 13:08:36

Message withdrawn

Kiwifruit Tue 17-May-05 13:41:20

VF - better to be safe than sorry, go to the assessment unit and get it checked out! Then come back and tell us it was nothing to worry about . Good trick with DP - might try that one myself !!!

Toothache Tue 17-May-05 13:46:06

VF - I started having 'contraction' pains at 24wks. They went on all morning at work and I eventually phoned the hospital. They told me to go to the delivery suite, but I had no transport so they sent an ambulance!! I was so shocked at that, it really frightened me. Got to the labour ward and was monitored, baby seemed fine. They examined me and I was about 1cm dilated..... but it was my 2nd baby so that was acceptable. The pain continued and they kept me in overnight. They eventually settled on it being a rather nasty UTI and prescribed me strong Anti'Bs. Dd is now a bouncing healthy 9mth old!!

Best to get it checked out coz if its a UTI it can trigger contractions if left untreated. I'm so sure it'll be something about nothing.... but you're right to have phoned.

Gwenick Tue 17-May-05 13:48:49

but if they are not painful they are still on BHs and BHs won't cause labour

ermmm - I know of people (full term) who's got several cm's dilated and not been in 'pain'

Toothache Tue 17-May-05 13:50:45

That's true Gwenick - These contractions I had were incredibly painful.... took my breath away.

But when Ieventually went into proper labour with dd at 39wks I was 6cm before I felt more than a mild ache!

lockets Tue 17-May-05 13:50:59

Message withdrawn

lynny70 Tue 17-May-05 13:55:38

Message deleted

VirtualFairy Tue 17-May-05 14:07:11

Thanks guys im sure it will all be ok, Toothache thats intersting to hear it could be a UTI i have been going alot recently and have put it down to baby sitting on bladder but have also been feeling a little unwell, well not really unwell just not myself, so maybe i do have a UTI.

Toothache Tue 17-May-05 14:10:12

VF - I was plagued with them through both pregnancies, but that one at 24wks with dd was horrible!! Drink plenty water just in case. Hope you feel better and more relaxed soon. This is supposed to be the part of the pregnancy when you bloom!!

I was 26wks pg when I started to feel wonderful. Got rid of the infection, my blood pressure lowered (less stressed and arranged to work closer to home) and I felt really energetic.

Piccalilli Tue 17-May-05 15:13:07

Can completely recommend going to the day assessment unit, I went to the one at our local hospital (St George's London) this a.m. as hadn't felt the baby move for quite a while (ie several days), I had the same worry that they would think I was wasting their time/being silly but they were great, checked me out and really put my mind at ease.

SleepyJess Tue 17-May-05 16:53:01

VF check your temperature.. I had a UTI when 21 weeks pregnant witb DD. Had probably had it for a while without knowing.. (was feeling under the weather but always feel pants when pg so didn't query it).. then there was blood in my wee.. so was sent to the hospital by GP who took my temperature, diagnosed a UTI and put me on antibiotics. Temp was only 37. something but a low grade fever is common in these circs. And these need treating because any kind of infection can sometimes kick off early labour.

SJ x

Marie12 Tue 17-May-05 17:01:11

I had a nasty UTI at 30 weeks pg, and went into hospital as in so much pain. I ended up on the delivery suite so they could check if i was in preterm labour. I wasn't, but the pain was so bad they gave me pethidine! I was kept in over night then sent home wth ABI's. Best to get it checked out, as UTIs can trigger labour.

Louise1980 Tue 17-May-05 20:15:31

Hows things now VF?

pinkmama Wed 18-May-05 09:43:30

Are you around VF? ANy news?

Louise1980 Wed 18-May-05 13:11:10

VF are you there? I hope that it wasnt bad news.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now