Talk

Advanced search

Antenatal pulse check - why?

(6 Posts)
l39 Sun 05-Jul-09 09:51:48

My midwife has taken my pulse at both 16 week and 24 week checks and written it in my notes even though there is no box for it (both times she's decided it was 80). She mentioned she was checking it because I had a caesarean in the past - what is the connection between a prior caesarean and pulse rate in a later pregnancy? Do other midwives do the same?

MrsHappy Sun 05-Jul-09 09:55:43

I think that this will have been done to find out your normal pulse rate.
My midwife believes that the first sign of an impending scar problem in labour will be an increase in my pulse rate, so she plans to take my pulse regularly as well as monitoring the baby to spot any issues as early as she can. Knowing what my normal pulse is will, I imagine, help with this.

lisad123 Sun 05-Jul-09 11:04:34

no idea, but they found an underlying heart issue when they did mine. Doctor nearly had heart attack (pardon the pun) when mine was 135! Better to be safe than sorry. They also I think, can be an indication on clots too.

3littlefrogs Sun 05-Jul-09 11:10:49

Taking someone's pulse is one of the most simple, useful things one can do. A resting pulse rate is a good indication of what is "normal" for that person, and also of the individual's level of fitness. It is also safe and non-invasive.

scratchet Sun 05-Jul-09 11:13:41

I check a womens pulse just before i listen to the fetal heart rate, thus ensuring that it is the baby i am hearing.

A raised pulse can be a sign of infection or anaemia. (Amongst numerous other things!) x

l39 Mon 06-Jul-09 10:42:58

Thanks to all. I have no problem with her taking my pulse, just didn't know what it had to do with the caesarean last time - MrsHappy's explanation makes sense. Scratchet, I see your point too but my midwife checks my pulse last, after listening to the baby's heart.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now