Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Artificial sweeteners

(7 Posts)
ashymae Sat 04-Jul-09 23:24:32

I am 22 weeks along and absolutely love propel water and yoplait light but both have aspartame and sucralose. Also an occassional diet coke hits the spot but.... same issue. Have others indulged in this way or cut them out completely?

thumbwitch Sat 04-Jul-09 23:26:59

I personally wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot barge pole even if not pg and DEFINITELY not if pg.

But your choice.

SheWillBeLoved Sat 04-Jul-09 23:27:23

I was a bit weary early pregnancy after reading about Aspartame, but to be honest, now I just drink what I feel like drinking. Only being concious of not drinking too much caffeine.

Kaylo Sun 05-Jul-09 00:24:26

I didn't make many changes to my food/drink intake at all really - I stayed away from soft cheeses (but I hate them anyway so not much of a sacrifice) and made sure any eggs I ate were well cooked (didn't cut them out as was advised not to because of the protein content?)

Diet coke was half of my lifeline as eased morning sickness and although I'm a regular coffee drinker with 2 sweeteners - I could not stand the smell or sight or taste of it during my whole pg!!! Didn't drink a single hot caffeine drink until 38 weeks when I gave raspberry leaf tea a go to induce labour on midwifes advice! (didn't work)

Hope this helps in some way xx

Kaylo Sun 05-Jul-09 00:25:26

forgot to mention the other half of my lifeline - ice-pops!! I carried over a very very hot summer (2006) and ice-pops were a must!!!

olivo Sun 05-Jul-09 09:00:05

ashymae, i tried to cut down on sweeteners in the early part of my pg, didn't have much except the odd diet coke. but in the past few weeks, i have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes and have probably had loads of sweeteners. i'm not proud but sometimes, it's what gets you through. the dietician i saw didnt tell me to avoid them, though she did point out their presence, IYSWIM. she was recommending things like low fat yoghurt, low sugar ribena to make ice lollies, flavoured waters, as alternatives to the sugared versions.

i am of the view that a little of what you fancy........

bevlin Mon 06-Jul-09 14:43:52

Oh, aspartame is scary stuff, id try to find another vice if I were you. Even if you just cut down but have the real sugar instead. They have proved that sweetners etc are just as fattening and even have a weird way of helping you retain weight. I wouldn't give that rubbish to my dog let alone a pregnant woman, seriously, eat chocolate! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now