Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Extremely painful hip at 35 weeks

(24 Posts)
LeninGrad Sat 04-Jul-09 16:34:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeninGrad Sat 04-Jul-09 18:53:53

LeninGrad Sun 05-Jul-09 10:19:46

mama2leah Sun 05-Jul-09 12:25:14

i had this pain, over time has gone alot worse...now everything is painful..sorry not helping u am i

Astrophe Sun 05-Jul-09 12:40:32

I have this two (both hips though), but some days are unaccounatbly better than others, so maybe you will feel better tomorrow? See a physio if it doesn't improve in a day or so - there are supports you can get (although I generally find the dicomfort of wearing mine outweighs benefit...but not everyone finds that).

I am always worse when I firts stand up, and have a painful night if I do much walking during the day. Try to rest by sitting with your feet up when you can.

Astrophe Sun 05-Jul-09 12:41:09

argh, I mean 'too', not 'two'!

LeninGrad Sun 05-Jul-09 12:47:24

Astrophe Sun 05-Jul-09 13:00:09

take some paracetamol and codeine...I take 2 before bed on MW advice...helps a lot

LeninGrad Sun 05-Jul-09 13:06:13

Astrophe Sun 05-Jul-09 13:12:10

I imagine its safe, as its ok during pregnancy...but yes do check.

Mine started at around 28 weeks or so, but has become much worse since 33ish weeks (am 37.5 now), so perhaps yours wont get too bad.

My DH has been at home to help, but is starting a new job tomorrow (which is fab, but awkward timing), so I will be going it alone with the DC and SPD for the last few weeks...sigh...

Zil131 Sun 05-Jul-09 20:48:35

I suffered terribly with pregnancy one from about 26 weeks, currently 17 weeks with no 2 and dreading it's return.
You can get a support belt, but I found my bump was pretty high and neat anyway...
May sound stupid but try to avoid standing on one leg - put your knickers on whle sat on the edge of the bed etc. Also I found at a small amount of daily regular exercise helped. Don't walk 5 miles; but equally don't sit at a desk all day without doing a lap of the office every 2 hours. Also try to keep your knees together (?!); eg I found turning over in bed excruiating, but slightly less so, if knees were together.

HeinzSight Sun 05-Jul-09 21:05:18

I was suffering really badly with this, it was my sacro iliac joint and it was starting to come away from my spine and click back in - ouch!

My advise to you would be to see an Osteopath. I've never seen one before in my life, I saw him at 29 weeks and I haven't had to take any co-codamol since! I'm now coming up to 35 weeks!

I was seriously getting depressed/frightened about the prospect of struggling through the rest of my pregnancy!

LeninGrad Sun 05-Jul-09 22:26:55

Bramshott Sun 05-Jul-09 22:36:13

It's unlikely, but you should be aware that if it's only on one side, and if it's worse on moving, it could be a DVT. The pelvic (femoral) vein is the most common place to have them in pregnancy. If there's any swelling, or it seems to get worse rather than better if you try to take it easy over the next couple of days, it might be worth getting it checked out.

LeninGrad Sun 05-Jul-09 22:45:51

Bramshott Sun 05-Jul-09 22:50:07

I think any pain would get a bit better with painkillers, but when I had my DVT, even voltarol was not really taking the edge off it grin. The swelling would be in the thigh at first (you can measure and compare to the other if you're unsure) and then in the calf. I think (but am not sure) that if it were a DVT, it's so deep in that it makes no difference how you lie if that makes sense. I know when I had mine, before it was diagnosed, it was more comfortable to lie on it rather than away from it (although now it's the opposite!).

Bramshott Sun 05-Jul-09 22:52:05

Not sure about the reduced movement thing. Sorry. I'm not in any way trying to panic you, just make you aware about possible risks. Hope it eases up for you.

LeninGrad Sun 05-Jul-09 23:05:05

Bramshott Sun 05-Jul-09 23:09:19

There is a useful factsheet on thrombosis and pregnancy here

LeninGrad Sun 05-Jul-09 23:15:20

Gromit78 Mon 06-Jul-09 07:22:10

I have had painful hips throughout my pregnancy. It's made worse now that I am so big and sleeping on my side puts a lot of pressure on them.

The physio tested how strong my bum and hip muscles are and they are as weak as anything. So he gave me this excersise to strengthen them. He gave me a large wide elesticated band to put around my ankles. All I have to do is spread my legs apart as far as possible and leave them there for a while. Surprisingly it has helped strengthen those muscles and I feel a lot better.

Spk to your physio to find the cause of the pain and he or she can advise you on which is the best excersise to use. I would recommend the elastic band method though.

LeninGrad Mon 06-Jul-09 19:14:19

LeninGrad Mon 06-Jul-09 19:15:45

Bramshott Tue 07-Jul-09 16:00:12

Glad the doc was helpful Leningrad. Hope the next 5 weeks are not too painful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now