Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

iron levels???

(5 Posts)
RiversC Fri 03-Jul-09 19:31:27

Hi

Wondered if anyone could give me advise, i am currently 16 weeks preg, and just had results from blood test they came back 12.7 is that good, okay or what should they be??
thanks

reikizen Fri 03-Jul-09 19:38:23

They are brilliant, if they dip below 10 your GP may prescribe iron tablets but eating an iron rich diet is the best prevention. All iron levels drop to a certain extent in pregnancy due to the increased volume of blood circulating in the body and this is called 'physiological anaemia' but most trusts take some blood again at 28 and 34 weeks to check that this process has levelled off.

RiversC Fri 03-Jul-09 19:47:46

thanks very much, just wondered what they like them to be really...as i remember in my last pregnancy i felt very tired,,,???

MustHaveaVeryShortMemory Sat 04-Jul-09 19:26:30

The midwife told me a drop of 2 mg is normal during pregnancy in which case you would still be well above the 10 (or 10.5 where I am, perhaps this is regional).

becksydee Sat 04-Jul-09 20:07:04

according to the print out from my last blood test results (at 28 weeks) the desirable range is 11.5 - 15.5, so 12.7 is absolutely fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now