Talk

Advanced search

Spine spasms, to do with spd, normal?

(7 Posts)
Confuzzeled Fri 03-Jul-09 16:51:18

Am 32 weeks and have spd at the back. My doctor said it has a different name but it's basically the same thing but at the point were my butt bones meet my coxis.

Today it's been quite sore, I've been taking it easy but I've been getting these spine spasms. It feels like all the nerves along my spine go mental, it only lasts for about 30 seconds but I've had it 3 times today. Also it goes all the way up my back to the point were my bra strap goes across.

Anyone had this?

difficultdecision Fri 03-Jul-09 18:21:50

Did he call it coccydynia?

Either way, spasms are normal when you have joint pain, particularly in your back. It is because your body thinks it needs to protect the delicate structures in your back (like your spinal cord etc) but goes into overdrive because they are not actually at risk. It is then a circle because the spasms make the pain worse so you move differently so the muscles spasm more.

If you have back pain the time you would have to worry is if you start to get pins and needles or numbness in your hands or legs, weakness or difficulty starting or stopping going to the toilet (1 or 2). If anything new develops like that , that you did not have before (not including leaking urine when you cough or laugh - that's just the pregnancy blush) then you would need to go back to the doctor.

paracetamol, warm bath, massage (very gentle with plain oil) or warm (not hot) packs on your back will all help, as will gentle movement (ie not overdoing it but not lying down all day either).

Hope you feel better soon

Hangingbellyofbabylon Fri 03-Jul-09 18:26:10

Have a look at The Bowen Technique - it is very gentle and extremely safe and I'm sure it would help with your back spasms. I am a Bowen practitioner and have been treated throughout my pregnancy. You might only need a couple of sessions and it could make such a difference to you. Have a look here.

Best of luck and feel free to ask me any questions you might have about Bowen. smile

herbietea Fri 03-Jul-09 18:29:21

Message withdrawn

Confuzzeled Fri 03-Jul-09 19:16:04

Difficult - I don't remember what the doctor called it, but it did sound like he was coughing so that could be right Thanks for all the info, good to hear from someone who knows what their talking about. No other symptoms, but will watch out for more. I do intend to have a long long long bath once dd is in bed.

Hanging - The Bowen Technique looks good, I've found a few places in Edinburgh that do it and if I can get some cash together I might get something like that done. I also saw the NHS use it as an alternative treatment so I may mention it to my midwife, would be lovely to get it free.

Herbietea - It's good to know I'm not alone, I only have 8 weeks (or less) to go, hope you don't have too long

herbietea Fri 03-Jul-09 19:21:23

Message withdrawn

Confuzzeled Fri 03-Jul-09 19:54:53

OMG Herbietea, you have my deepest sympathy, I can't imagine dealing with this for that long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now