Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

FAINT pregnancy test result

(15 Posts)
MelJH3 Fri 03-Jul-09 14:12:11

Hi! I've been trying to get pregnant for about 5 months, and could really do with some advice. I did a preganacy test last night (one of the really sensitive ones) which had a VERY faint line i.e. could see it if held in the right light. I then did another one this morning and it was a shade darker but still very faint. Was by now feeling very unsure, so went and bought a digital test which came back negative!

So now dont know whether preg or not

Any suggestions hugely welcomed...

Wheelybug Fri 03-Jul-09 14:17:21

How late are you ?

Digital tests aren't very sensitive so possible that they aren't picking up the pregnancy but a sensitive one is.

What sort of sensitive test - was it shop bought or ebay ?

alana39 Fri 03-Jul-09 14:18:39

Faint should mean positive. Is it very early on to test? If so then I would wait a few days and retest, as if you ovulated later in your cycle it may take a little while longer before you get a darker line. Have no experience of digital ones, sorry. I had a negative test this time at 4 weeks exactly - retested a few days later when I started to feel sick and it was positive.

izzybiz Fri 03-Jul-09 14:19:25

I had a very faint + with my second pregnancy, she is now 5!
I always thought a + is a + if you get what I mean.
Maybe the digital test is less sensitive, I take it its still very early? Maybe wait a couple of days and try again!

Good luck! xx

MelJH3 Fri 03-Jul-09 14:21:18

The first test was a shop bought one (first response) and the second one was an internet bought one

My cycle is still a bit all over the place since I came off the pill, but I thought my period was due 2 days ago?

MelJH3 Fri 03-Jul-09 14:25:11

Thanks for the advice all! I'm just so impatient!

fingers crossed... smile

Wheelybug Fri 03-Jul-09 14:25:53

If faint and within the right time frame for reading it probably is positive.

The reason I asked about shop bought/internet is that I did an ebay cheapie and it was so faint I had to hold itup to the light, decided I was imagining it (2 years ttc!) but next day couldn't shake the feeling something was up and did a first response - dark line within seconds.

Somewhere there is a site with the sensitivity of different tests on it.

MelJH3 Fri 03-Jul-09 14:27:24

Great, thanks. I'll give it a day or two and try with a first response one

anniemac Fri 03-Jul-09 14:38:55

Message withdrawn

Ninjacat Fri 03-Jul-09 15:01:27

I had a really feint positive with a boots test. Went to Family Planning Clinic the next day and they did a dip test. Again a feint positive but as nurse said a + is a + however feint. I was only 3/4 days late.
20 weeks now so all the best.

Mummywannabe Fri 03-Jul-09 21:53:56

I had a faint line on a boots test 2 days before i was due on. Little monster now 1yr old. I also did a first responce and a tesco's the same day (oh my i was a little nuts!). Clearest line was a boots one but faint.

Tamlin Fri 03-Jul-09 21:59:35

First Response is the most sensitive test, although I never got a dark line on it. I got a faint positive with FR the same day as I got a negative with a Clear Blue digital, and since I'm now 22 weeks, I'd say that FR had it right...

So yes, would say you're pregnant!

bubblesincambridge Thu 09-Jul-09 09:32:11

I had a very faint line at first (a few days before my period was due) which got darker over the following few days. I used a super-sensitive test stick that I got mail order (really cheap - about £4 for 10 sticks).

I think I tested myself 9 times altogether!!

It depends on how sensitive your test is. But if there's a line, apparently its positive no matter how faint it is so congratulations!!

blondieminx Thu 09-Jul-09 09:54:58

I only got a faint positive and that was 5 days after period was due. Nurse at my GP's said to test again 2 days later - did and the line was darker. Had 12 week scan last week!

Good luck smile

mangopassionfruitshake Thu 09-Jul-09 09:55:41

You're pregnant, you're pregnant! Congratulations

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: