Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Running in pregnancy

(18 Posts)
Dophus Fri 03-Jul-09 12:54:21

I was supposed to running a marathon in October.

I am therefore running at least 9 miles a couple of times a week. Whilst Obviously I will no longer be runnig the marathon I would like to keep running.

What should I be avaoiding:
obviously dehydration
but what sort of level of heart rate become unwise? What about length of run - I normally for about 90 - 120 min?

It will probably be a moot point as last tow prgnancie I felt too sick and tired to do anything!

lu9months Fri 03-Jul-09 13:54:15

hi dophus

I was running regularly before I got pregnant, and my trainer said not to run for more than 30 mins without a break, to allow the blood supply to the baby to pick up again. having said that, with the sickness and enormous breasts ,I have hardly run at all, and I would struggle with even 30 minutes at the mo! good luck

countryhousehotel Sat 04-Jul-09 08:37:56

hi dophus,I'm in 2nd pregnancy now (15 weeks), trained all through first preg and doing the same now. Ran in first preg until about 18 or 20 weeks at which point bump started to feel uncomfortable and pressed against my bladder every time I took a step so I replaced with power walking on an incline on treadmill with handweights, cross trainer, stepping machine, cycle etc.

Basically do what you feel comfortable with. The advice I have had both times is to maintain your current fitness levels, not try to improve. Don't train for a race. Don't exercise anaerobically and don't raise heart rate to max - keep it steady (around 130 bpm i was told but to be honest if you are fit you need to judge yourself - i can go up to 150 or 160 before i feel uncomfortable).

You might find as I did that your aerobic capacity becomes reduced as pregnancy progresses so you don't actually need to work as hard as when you're not preg to get the results (ie heart rate goes up v. quickly and 150 bpm feels more like 170/180 to me now!).

Also be aware that road running puts huge strain on your joints, ligaments etc and that will be the case even more so during pregnancy due to hormones etc. You might be better off swapping for lower impact cardio as you get bigger and more prone to injury. Swimming is good but i hate it so never did!

There is also the issue of putting too much pressure on your pelvic floor - especially if you run too soon after giving birth, but also i think during later pregnancy when everything is bearing down on it.

Definitely I would advise you to do core / pelvic and general resistance work as well as aerobic. It really helped me to stay fit and strong and to recover very quickly after the birth.

sarah293 Sat 04-Jul-09 08:51:37

Message withdrawn

skihorse Sat 04-Jul-09 14:04:09

I read a blog last year about a woman who trained throughout her pregnancy FOR a marathon. I can't find the link right now but I did find this:

harlemrunner.blogspot.com/2007/05/marathon-training-tip-pregnancy.html

I'm so glad you're going to continue running, I find it such a shame when people give it all up "just in case". Enjoy your pregnancy!

ashymae Sat 04-Jul-09 23:19:46

Hi, I am in my 22nd week and still logging between 25-35 miles per week, my shortest are 5 miles and longest are 8. Because of my babies position I often have to stop about 30 minutes in and go to the bathroom which is very annoying! But, my energy is great and I do prental yoga, ellipticla, and lift weights to help stay in shape also.

Horsiemummy Sun 05-Jul-09 15:08:36

OMG! i am soo relieved to have found this thread! im just 5 weeks pg with my second and only discovered running after having my first baby (who is now 2 1/2) and completed the london marathon this year. im still currently doing a hilly 5k (30mins)5 times a week but was starting to feel guilty in case i was endangering the pregnancy.

its good to know that i can carry on safely

thanks sooo much

A.xx

mumbot Sun 05-Jul-09 15:21:35

Running at a reasonable level is generally considered to be safe it pregnancy. There is one thing to bear in mind.

Your circulatory system has a clever way of getting oxygen to your muscles when you need it. It directs the volume of blood towards where it is needed the most - in the case of running, your skeletal muscles. This is called 'shunting'. In extreme cases when you are out of breath, this can cause the blood to be directed away from the baby, not completely of course, but to the advantage of your skeletal muscles.

As long as your MW says its OK and you run at a comfortable speed, all should be fine.

x

maygirl Sun 05-Jul-09 21:57:30

I read a really reassuring book during my first pregnancy 'Exercising through your pregnancy' by JF Clapp a professor of reproductive biology. Studied hundreds of exercising pregnant women, from recreational gym goers to competitive athletes and his findings are all very positive.

I ran till 19 weeks then moved to the cross trainer, and combined it with spinning, body pump and step until 40 weeks.
Hoping to do the same this pregnancy, I'm 10 weeks, sticking to around 5km runs at a slower pace. I find it really energising exercising at these slightly lower levels whilst pregnant, in comparison to always trying to max it out when not pregnant!

I did feel blush running with a bump last time though, I've never seen another pregnant runner and I felt stared at a fair bit!

skihorse Mon 06-Jul-09 08:40:59

Following on from maygirl's very positive post. I have a lot of friends who are professional skiiers - one tells a story of going in to labour whilst on the hill! She was arguing with Ski Patrol about not wanting to go in because it was a "blue powder" day! wink

I spoke to a sports doctor about exercise because there's no way I want to give mine up however mine are horseriding and skiing - two sports guaranteed to make most women scream at the thought of combining them with pregnancy. He told me that there is no way that sport - or even a fall - can affect anything in the first trimester. Because the baby is so well protected by the abdomen you would actually need to be "pierced" (for lack of a better word) to risk it. After then, at your own discretion of course. I have friends (as above) who've skiied until the last moment - others have said they didn't have any balance and couldn't do anything. So I suppose it depends on what your body can do as much as anything.

Dophus Mon 06-Jul-09 10:12:38

Thanks for all the words of encouragement - I did 5 miles yesterday and felt fine so will drop the pace and get back to the 9 milers.

Cheers!

stoat Tue 07-Jul-09 15:38:21

Hello Dophus,
I just wanted to say keep on running! I am 39 + 4 and set myself a target of running until I was 24 weeks. I managed to keep going until 34/35 weeks although by that time I was only runnning 15 mins and then walking. I had to stop because I developed SDP which left me crippled and so depressed for 3 weeks (I had a very unhelpful midwife who fobbed me off and said it was sciatica - erm...I couldn't move). To cut a long story short I saw another midwife who got me an immediate referral to an obstectric physio and now I am back walking every day - slowly but anything is a bonus when you are used to running.

Anyway, she said to me that my SPD would have been much worse if I hadn't been a runner! Yay! Can't wait to get running again.

I had confilcting advice at 12 weeks - the Dr said "keep running, just like Paula". The midwife said "stop running - tut tut, your life will end" (or words to that effect). I kept it to myself and have had an easy, happy, healthy and positive pregnancy.

Do what feels right. I am looking forward to my labour knowing that I have run a marathon before and my body and mind knows how to cope with hard work. It will be tough but I trust myself and my baby

Dophus Tue 07-Jul-09 16:28:13

Thanks - I'm paticularly encouraged re the SPD. I had this during pg2 and spent four months using crutches. I'm paranoid it will happen again - I always slightly suspected aerobics..

My GP also gave me the go ahead and said no need to reduce my mileage or anything - just listen to my body.

I did 6 miles this mornign but struggled with nausea

This pregnancy was unplanned and the biggest disappointment is that I won't be running the Chicago marathon. I have't done one yet (was ready to run Luton in Dec an it was cancelled whilst we were stood ont he start line
I was really looking forward to it!

mckenzie Tue 07-Jul-09 16:36:32

this post is bringing back some lovely memories of exercising during my two pregnancies and I'm getting a tad jaalous of you ladies running while pregnant. I ran during both of mine (and swam, did weights, spinning etc) and I had lovely lovely pregnancies both times. My waters broke 5 mins after a spinning class to announce DD was getting ready to appear.
FWIW I think the advise you have been given on here is perfect. Listen to your body - it's a remarkable thing - and enjoy your lovely changing shape.

Dophus Tue 07-Jul-09 17:00:33

'enjoy your lovely changing shape'

I've only just lost my bloody weight from the last pg... smile

Determined this time not to put so much weight on (she says reaching for a bag of crisps)

Apart from the SPD both my pgs have been great ... I hope it's the same this time

(Christ - I'm pregnant! Still can't get my head around it)

stoat Fri 10-Jul-09 22:38:27

Dophus you will get to do your marathon. And I found it hard to let go of the running. It still is hard to think how many miles I was doing and that now I see an hours walk as an achievement

BUT! I reckon I've still got some miles in the running bank and I am looking forward to getting that buzz again. I would love to do Chicago. I did New York and it was the best thing ever. You have trained for the Luton marathon and no-one can take that away from you.

Enjoy the pregnancy, enjoy your 6 milers (impressive!)and stuff the SPD.

JeMeSouviens Fri 10-Jul-09 22:44:11

This is good to know, as I've been pondering the same thing.

I've only been running since Jan, and do only 5-6km 3x per week. I've just got a BFP. I'm wondering as you all got your bumps did you wear a bump band thing for support or did you not need one?

maygirl Sat 11-Jul-09 20:55:17

I did last time JeMeSouviens, felt it gave a bit of support round the hips and minimized bump bounce! My bump was pretty high, which was good for running and spinning!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now