Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What do I need for the first 2 months?

(6 Posts)
longwayaway Thu 02-Jul-09 17:59:56

I'm due to give birth to my first child at the end of November. At the end of January my husband and I will move back home to the US with the new baby. We'd like to avoid buying or acquiring anything that's not absolutely necessary during the two or so months that we are living here with the baby. What do I really need and what can I go without until after the move?

For instance, can I get by with a sling and no stroller? Would it be easier to start with disposable nappies and make the switch to cloth nappies later? What are your thoughts?

Steaknife Thu 02-Jul-09 20:41:06

We moved countries when dd was 3 months. I would get a cot 2 nd hand or borrowed, a baby bath seat and then get things like towels and flannelr at ikea or similar. Remember you can take a pushchair on a flight so you can get one now if it is cheaper than the states. Nappies i would wait til you are settled. Good luck.

littlelamb Thu 02-Jul-09 20:43:46

Definately get a wrap sling. If you co sleep there will be no need for a cot, bf so you don;t need bottles. Stick to babygrows so you don't have a pile of clothes to take with you. If you want to graduate onto cloth, it might be a good idea to get a few different kinds just to try so you know what works best for you before investing in a whole load of them

Pingpong Thu 02-Jul-09 20:48:42

A cot?
My DD didn't move into her cot til she was 17 weeks she was just in a borrowed moses basket til then. I've heard of little babies sleeping in a drawer so you don't need a cot.
For the first couple of months you really don't need much equipment at all.
I think it is do-able to just have a sling and no stroller BUT some babies are very clingy and like to be held but some babies like to be left in peace and the motion of bumping around/getting pushed in the buggy/pram makes them go to sleep.
Baby bath is also not essential. Washing up bowl or bathroom sink can be used instead.
As for cloth nappies I would wait til you are back in the US. I started with cloth when DD was 6 months. I felt a bit overwhelmed til then and couldn't face the extra washing. I used eco-disposables for the first 6m and now when we go on holiday.

CMOTdibbler Thu 02-Jul-09 20:48:52

A sling, some babygrows, some vests, some muslins, couple of grobags, a babywearing coat (then no need for baby snow suits, and they often double as maternity coats too).

Join Freecycle and get a moses basket so that you have somewhere to put the baby down asleep in the day, then Freecycle it back a couple of days before you leave.

longwayaway Fri 03-Jul-09 18:40:21

Thanks! Very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now