Talk

Advanced search

How many sections?

(38 Posts)
AnotherHelen Mon 16-May-05 17:43:23

Hello! i was just wondering how many c-sections it is safe to have? we had an emergency section with our first, and then had to have an elective with our second, im now 21 weeks pregnant with our 3rd which we have been told again will have to have another section, problem is dp and i always wanted quite a big family and have heard some people say its not safe to have any more than 3 c-sections! We have said that 3 will probably be enough for us, but its not nice to
think we can't change our mind! i just wondered if anyone has had more than 3 sections and found it to be
ok?

beansprout Mon 16-May-05 17:45:22

I've heard 3 as well, but hey, if you get pregnant again, what can they do?! I'm sure there is someone on here who has had more than three (sorry, can't remember who).

Best of luck.

nutcracker Mon 16-May-05 17:46:43

They do say 3 but people do have more than that. I have had 3 and it wouldn't put me off having another.

I think LisaLisa has had 4 sections.

beckymumof3 Mon 16-May-05 17:49:54

I know of someone who had a vag.waterbirth after 3 Caesareans. Also a really interesting study just done in ?middle east somewhere about women having loads of CBs (6/7/8+) and it not having any negative effect. If you want the link I could try and find it.

beckymumof3 Mon 16-May-05 17:50:52

I think there are a lot of people who have had 3 as well, BTW.

AnotherHelen Mon 16-May-05 18:51:01

Oh thanks ladies! i have never really put much thought into how many u can have until my consultant brought it up the other day! i suppose it must have occured to me at some point, nutcracker, was your 3rd section ok? i found i recovered ALOT quicker from my second section then my first, im now curious to see how i recover from a third, did you recover differently from yours? xxx

Yorkiegirl Mon 16-May-05 18:52:23

Message withdrawn

Tinker Mon 16-May-05 19:24:37

Think JanH had 4

chipmonkey Tue 17-May-05 13:16:13

I know a girl who had 5. I asked my obGyn about this after ds3. All 3 of my babies were C-sections. He said that the more CS's you have the higher the risk of a low-lying placenta. I did have placenta praevia with ds3

MommyD Tue 17-May-05 17:34:59

I have had 2 sections already - first emergency under GA and with the second I was recommened to elect for a section. I took advice. I am having my third section in 8 weeks time. I asked my obs last week how many she felt was acceptable. She said "I would not recommend more than 5". Also depends on how much trouble you get from your scar. She said that, going in the second time to get ds2 out, the previous scar had no adhesions etc. which she seemed to think was significant.... I'm stopping at 3 though!!! (I just wanted to know if it was 'possible' )

GBSbaby Tue 17-May-05 17:47:36

Asked my health visitor this question and she sees a woman who has had 6 c-sections. Although she stressed this wasn't to be recommended. I'm due for my second in October and we'll see how that goes before we consider no.3!

AnotherHelen Tue 17-May-05 17:52:03

Wow 5? oh well thats more than i thought MommyD! im stopping at 3 too lol! its just one of those things i think - if i were to be told i couldnt have anymore than 3 i would want more!!! its really interesting to know how many sections people have had and that they have been absolutley fine with them! Good luck for yours MommyD, counting down now aye? awww do you know what you are having? xx

MommyD Wed 18-May-05 08:39:40

AnotherHelen - I have two boys already - one who's just turned three and the other is 21 months. I THINK I am having a third boy!!! I reckon I am going to be VERY busy....

morningpaper Wed 18-May-05 08:43:39

I have a friend who had four and had to be delivered at 28 weeks because her uterus was rupturing - so I guess there can be risks for some people.

throckenholt Wed 18-May-05 09:31:06

I have a friend who has had 5 (including one twin pregnancy) - she seems fine - amazingly.

Nemo1977 Wed 18-May-05 09:33:30

my mum had 3 and was told no more as it would lead to problems.

lisalisa Wed 18-May-05 13:21:41

Message withdrawn

flum Wed 18-May-05 13:25:17

oh lisa lisa. I'm holding my belly just thinking of you. are they worried at all or not? the medics I mean.

lisalisa Wed 18-May-05 15:12:19

Message withdrawn

beckymumof3 Wed 18-May-05 16:01:00

Isn't it sad that so many mums have made their decisions about family sized based on inaccurate info from uninformed medics - How many women would have loved to have 3/4 children+ but were stopped because "more than 2/3 Caesareans is dangerous". How sad.

flum Wed 18-May-05 16:04:47

Wow, lisalisa good luck! Have they healed about the same each time? What is the scar like?

Beckymumof3 - it is sad. I would like a big family, but worry might have to have more sections. DP says we can't afford lots of kids - but thats a different matter of course.

clary Wed 18-May-05 16:16:55

I know someone who has had four sections tho they did say when she was pg with no 4, can you make this the last one please!
TBH I would have thought that the more sections you have the harder it is to do it any other way IYSWIM. Scar tissue holding and so on.
I know jimjams tried for a VBA2C but was not successful. Can’t remember if that was the reason tho?

AnotherHelen Wed 18-May-05 17:23:14

MommyD another you think huh? awww that will be lovley, i would love a girl this time but of course my priority is a healthy baby more than anything! my dp is worried in case i wont love it the same if i get another boy - bless him! - it'd never happen, my kids are spoilt rotten this one will be no different girl or boy!
lisalisa - 5! well done sweetheart I love big families!
beckymumof3 - I agree! it is sad, that was one of my reasons for asking, i think when people are given wrong info and it stops them having anymore when they want more is terribly sad and i think consultants and all the other health professionals need to think before giving there 'opinions' (sorry - slight rant! ) xxx

bubbles2904 Wed 18-May-05 17:36:30

my sil has had 4 and she and all her children are fine, she often jokes that they should of just put a zip on there!

MommyD Wed 18-May-05 18:16:19

AnotherHelen - how old are your two boys? I really don't mind. Would be nice to have a girl, but would also be lovely to be the mum of three lads. Sure it's a boy though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now