Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is there a new test that tells if you are going to go into labour in the next 7 days?

(7 Posts)
LadyOfWaffle Wed 01-Jul-09 20:42:13

Thanks

artichokes Wed 01-Jul-09 20:44:42

Yes. It's not 100% but it does give an idea. Our hosp uses it on women who have previously had prem babies.

LadyOfWaffle Wed 01-Jul-09 20:46:28

Wow, I've just heard about it but didn't know anything about it. Pretty amazing

DaisymooSteiner Wed 01-Jul-09 20:49:28

It's called the Fetal Fibronectin Test and can be useful in predicting whether a woman is at increased risk of premature labour. I don't think it's currently used routinely for pregnant women at term.

peppapighastakenovermylife Wed 01-Jul-09 20:49:57

In my experience there is a great test that tells you if you are going into labour in the next 24 hours. Its when you finally crack and sob hysterically that you are going to be pregnant forever and the baby is never ever ever coming out. You may be at home for this if you are lukcy wink

On a serious note - great test used in the right situation (dont know anything about it). Wonder how it will impact on inductions.

LadyOfWaffle Wed 01-Jul-09 20:52:00

Is it very new?

Geepers Wed 01-Jul-09 20:55:19

The fetal fibronectin test is supposed to predict with an accuracy of 99.5% (or stats close to that, can't remember exactly) whether you are likely to go into labour within two weeks.

I had the test done three weeks ago after experiencing regular tightenings at 26 weeks pregnant. It was negative and was assured the test was virtually infallible and there was no way I'd be having a baby in the next 14 days.

A week later, at 27 weeks, I had the baby. He weighs 2lbs and is luckily doing well. Due my my panicky hysteria I had the steroids but had I trusted the doctors it could all be different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now