Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Were you ever told at the scan that the baby was a girl but turned out to be a boy?

(27 Posts)
Koumak Wed 01-Jul-09 20:36:49

I was told we are having a girl this time round and the sonographer was pretty sure a girl it is. They got it right when pregnant with ds but my friend was told twice she was having a girl while pregnant with her ds. I am told if they tell you its a boy then it definitely is but apparently if they tell its a girl they can get it wrong. Has this ever happen to anybody?

sjbj Wed 01-Jul-09 21:28:36

Happened to a friend of mine - she cried for days but is now really happy to have a ds. The sonographer should never say definately - only that they think it might be...

traceybath Wed 01-Jul-09 21:33:21

I've been told i'm having a girl this time and the sonographer showed me the 3 lines on the scan that are meant to indicate this. I believe she called it 'the hamburger' which i found delightful - not.

They don't generally say 100% but am hoping she was right in my case as have bought a couple of dresses and have a girl's name blush.

Already have 2 ds's and another boy would be lovely though but would take some mental re-adjustment.

thisisyesterday Wed 01-Jul-09 21:34:40

yes my friend was told she was having a girl and it turned out to be a boy.

BikeRunSki Wed 01-Jul-09 21:35:08

Some friends of our had monthly scans from 3 months on, were told they were having a girl all the way through - and had a boy!

ovenchips Wed 01-Jul-09 21:47:01

I had my second child last year. At 20 week scan we wanted to know the sex, the sonographer said it was tricky to tell but would say it was a girl. A definite male of the species was plopped onto my tummy 21 weeks later. We were shock - not a single boys' name had even been considered - and we referred to him as 'she' for several weeks, poor chap.

Though would seem so weird now to not have had a little boy grin

Koumak Wed 01-Jul-09 22:03:15

You got me worried now! I spent loads of money on a lot of very pink stuff already!

Koumak Thu 02-Jul-09 12:18:25

Does anybody know what the percentage of them getting wrong is?

akhems Thu 02-Jul-09 12:21:55

someone I knew a few years ago had two girls and on the 3rd, her husband said he'd leave her if it wasn't a boy hmm so at the scan they were told it was a boy, so they decorated a blue nursery, spent ££££££ on boy stuff.. and it was a girl!!

Husband subsequently did leave her.

sobloodystupid Thu 02-Jul-09 12:28:57

friend of mine only found out at 7 months she was expecting twins. Sonographer said one was hiding behind the other!

MamaLazarou Thu 02-Jul-09 12:54:54

Yes, this happened to a couple I know. They are very happy with their little boy, though.

(I don't understand someone who would 'cry for days' at discovering their baby was not the sex they were expecting. A child is a precious blessing, whatever the gender. Perhaps my view is slightly skewed after trying for a baby for so long)

Astrophe Thu 02-Jul-09 13:09:05

I've been thinking about this too recently. I'm 37 weeks, and the sonographer was pretty sure its a girl.

If the sonographer had said it was a boy, I would have been thrilled...but now, tbh, I think it will be a bit of an adjustment if it turns out to be a boy, because we have got quite used to the idea of a girl now, bought some clothes (not all pink though), started picturing how she will fit into our family and with the other DC....so yes, I do hope the sonographer was right, although I wont be ^dispointed to have a boy^, just a bit shocked for a while!

goingtohaveagoodnightssleep Thu 02-Jul-09 13:09:48

At my 20 week scan, with baby my third baby, I was told my baby was a girl and the sonographer even pointed out the shadow of the labia she could see. The baby had such huge hands and feet I felt really sorry for 'her'!
At another scan at 26 weeks was asked if I knew what I was having, said a girl the songrapher hmm but the baby put it's hands between it's lges so we couldn't see!
At 30 weeks I had another scan, asked sonographer to check and as soon as she started we both laughed as he had his legs wide open and a very large scrotum!
Could also see very clearly at a scan at 38 weeks he was a boy!

JemL Thu 02-Jul-09 13:11:31

It happened to my friend - it was her fourth baby, and she already had three boys, so went OTT on the pink stuff. She had a fourth boy!

From what I have heard, if you are told it is a boy, then it is very unlikely they are wrong - as they have actually visualised the right bits! It is a more common "mistake" to be told you are having a girl and then have a boy. If you have a 4d scan, they are obviously a lot more accurate!

goingtohaveagoodnightssleep Thu 02-Jul-09 13:12:47

Must add I didn't feel upset at all that I was having a boy but I did refer to him as her and she and kept calling him a good girl but that's because I have two girls already.

Pinkjenny Thu 02-Jul-09 13:14:31

Koumak - I started a thread exactly like this when I was pg, no good can come of it. I was so unconvinced that the sonographer was right that I paid nearly £200 for a 4d scan. I still didn't believe them. I even googled images of girls and boys bits and scrutinised the DVD of my scan.

Insane. The first question I asked after my delivery was, "It is a girl isn't it?"

It was. grin

Koumak Thu 02-Jul-09 13:59:38

That’s what I mean. I think because my dh and ds both want a girl badly that I feel like we wished the sonographer to show us what we wanted to see. If that makes sense? I asked her twice if she was sure and she pointed at the bits saying this is this and this….

Koumak Thu 02-Jul-09 14:00:13

and meant to say thank you to all for sharing the stories with me!

Koumak Thu 02-Jul-09 14:09:31

shock at finding out about twins at 7 months! I am starting to question the size of my bump now!

I would live to have another boy (always an excuse to have a third dc i say!) and in a way it would make lot of things easier but now i am starting to get carried away with the idea of having a girl - i bought so much already and think ds would find it really confusing too we have told everybody its going to be a girl!

Koumak Thu 02-Jul-09 14:19:55

that should say i would LOVE to have another boy not live!

Ninjacat Thu 02-Jul-09 18:55:25

Koumak You may wish to re re write your last sentence. It reads distressingly. smile

glitteryb6 Thu 02-Jul-09 18:59:32

many many years ago a friend of mines sister was told she was having a boy but she ended up having twin girls, apparently it was a bit of the other twin that the chap saw between the legs?! hmm

cheekysealion Thu 02-Jul-09 19:07:57

my friend was told she was having a girl but had a boy!!!!

Koumak Fri 03-Jul-09 09:17:27

Oops! You are right ninjacat!
I am in proper Friday mood today shall not be killing myself just yet!

Not very trustworthy these scans are they? hmm

RunningFaery Fri 03-Jul-09 13:57:41

I was told it was probably a boy. The sonographer told us it wasn't 100% accurate, so would just say probably and told us not to start painting the nursery blue just yet.
I won't be disappointed if it is a girl at all. I think it would just make me laugh a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now