Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Called back for a second scan. Is this normal?

(9 Posts)
vickichaps Mon 29-Jun-09 18:09:48

I went for my dating scan today, The nurse advised that everything looked normal but after 2 attemps and about 3 pints of water the baby still would not turn into a poision to get a fuild reading to test for downs syndrome risk.
I have benn called back in a week for another atempt, is this normal?
should I be worried the nurse saw something he didnt like?

Thanks

Tangle Mon 29-Jun-09 21:09:23

This nearly happened to me, although DD deigned to realign herself after I walked around the car park for 10 minutes (and stood in the coridor jumping up and down blush).

I really wouldn't read anything into it at the moment, although I know that's easier said than done.

ImOverHere Mon 29-Jun-09 21:12:04

I think it's normal. For both my scans they had a lot of trouble seeing everything. With DD because she wouldnt keep still and with DS because he wouldnt move. With DS they were on the verge of sending me away to come back another day when he moved deigned to move slightly for that all important shot.

Dont worry, I'm sure they would have said if there was a problem.

brightonbleach Tue 30-Jun-09 13:55:18

i had to go back for a second 20week scan this week (had 20 week scan 2 weeks ago, am 22+3 today), and this was cos of position of bubba they couldn't see entire spine - saw it all on second scan, so fine. they will apparently often bring you in for another scan if they can't see all the bits they consider important to see, nothing to worry about usually

Wanderingsheep Tue 30-Jun-09 14:02:13

I was called back too. DD was sat bottom down and the sonographer couldn't see the base of her spine, which meant that she couldn't check for spinabifida.

It's normal for them to call you back as they can't always check for certain things, ie. if the baby is in a difficult position.

Try not to worry smile. Hope all goes well in your next scan.

Congratulations on your pregnancy smile.

bethoo Tue 30-Jun-09 14:04:37

next time you go for a scan eat a mars bar and a cold sugary drink half hour before scan as baby will move then. it was advised to me and it worked. must remember to do that for my scan on monday! smile

lal123 Tue 30-Jun-09 14:04:44

I was called back with DD1 for a second 12 week scan - everything was fine

vickichaps Sat 04-Jul-09 21:30:43

Thanks for all you replys, also new to this what does Ds and Dd mean?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 04-Jul-09 21:32:16

dear son

dear daughter

it is perfectly normal and ime if they had seen something they weren't happy with, they would have told you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now