Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it at all possible to sleep on your front in third trimester?

(12 Posts)
Picante Mon 29-Jun-09 13:05:04

I'm thinking of buying a blow-up donut ring and sticking my bump in the hole!

Seriously though is it possible/safe with enough pillows?

blametheparents Mon 29-Jun-09 13:07:27

It really does not sound very comfortable, and I generally like sleeping on my front - just not when I am pregnant

LyraSilvertongue Mon 29-Jun-09 13:09:26

No way I could have - I had a huge bump so it would have been uncomfotable, if not physically impossible, and I'd also worry about body weight squashing the baby, even with a donut ring.

shootfromthehip Mon 29-Jun-09 13:10:31

No it is not possible. I tried everything and it is honestly just not possible. Sorry.

KirstyJC Mon 29-Jun-09 13:10:52

I didn't manage to sleep totally on my front as I was massive, but I did manage to lie partly on my side and front using pillows between my knees, to the side of my bump and behind my back. Imagine a kind of sideways recovery potision, one leg out to the side and one facing down, with both arms out to the same side as the leg.

I found it painful (bad SPD) to lie completely on my side as I got hip pain. Bump was so big that lying on back was completely out of the question (and I think not advised as it presses onto blood supply or nerves or something) so this was the only position I got any rest in.

zazizoma Mon 29-Jun-09 13:17:20

Oooh, I was at the beach one day and a friend of mine dug a hole in the sand so that I could lie on my stomach for just a little while. It was heaven. I found no other way during two pregnancies, and I did suffer. Body pillows may be the way to go to relieve some of the hip pain.

Nekabu Mon 29-Jun-09 13:25:31

I sleep on my front sometimes (39 weeks) but with one leg out to the side (knee raised) which takes pressure off the bump. I don't have a rock hard mattress though and have noticed I can't lie on the floor or on the garden in the same position, so if you do hae a really hard mattress you may not be able to.

McSnail Mon 29-Jun-09 13:47:04

I've resorted to lying semi-upright with lots of pillows, elephant-man style. It's miserable. Can't wait to be able to lie on my front again.

fortyplus Mon 29-Jun-09 13:52:57

A friend of mine went to the beach and her husband dug a bump-sized hole for he to lie in! grin But apart from that the answer is no.

fortyplus Mon 29-Jun-09 13:53:30

oop 'her to lie in'

YanknCock Mon 29-Jun-09 14:02:19

If it could be done, I'm sure I'd have figured out a way by now. I was sleeping on stomach until about 22-24 weeks. Now 32 weeks and it's been completely impossible for the last month. I also have SPD and sleeping on back is too painful. I am in a giant nest of about 6 pillows and switch sides through the night.

I can get as far as being about halfway between my side and my front, with top leg flung over a pillow. Any further and baby presses into things or starts wiggling and kicking.

Picante Mon 29-Jun-09 14:13:56

Now if it wasn't 30 degrees I'd be well up for the sand idea!

I just want to sleep!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now