Talk

Advanced search

Is it at all possible to sleep on your front in third trimester?

(12 Posts)
Picante Mon 29-Jun-09 13:05:04

I'm thinking of buying a blow-up donut ring and sticking my bump in the hole!

Seriously though is it possible/safe with enough pillows?

blametheparents Mon 29-Jun-09 13:07:27

It really does not sound very comfortable, and I generally like sleeping on my front - just not when I am pregnant

LyraSilvertongue Mon 29-Jun-09 13:09:26

No way I could have - I had a huge bump so it would have been uncomfotable, if not physically impossible, and I'd also worry about body weight squashing the baby, even with a donut ring.

shootfromthehip Mon 29-Jun-09 13:10:31

No it is not possible. I tried everything and it is honestly just not possible. Sorry.

KirstyJC Mon 29-Jun-09 13:10:52

I didn't manage to sleep totally on my front as I was massive, but I did manage to lie partly on my side and front using pillows between my knees, to the side of my bump and behind my back. Imagine a kind of sideways recovery potision, one leg out to the side and one facing down, with both arms out to the same side as the leg.

I found it painful (bad SPD) to lie completely on my side as I got hip pain. Bump was so big that lying on back was completely out of the question (and I think not advised as it presses onto blood supply or nerves or something) so this was the only position I got any rest in.

zazizoma Mon 29-Jun-09 13:17:20

Oooh, I was at the beach one day and a friend of mine dug a hole in the sand so that I could lie on my stomach for just a little while. It was heaven. I found no other way during two pregnancies, and I did suffer. Body pillows may be the way to go to relieve some of the hip pain.

Nekabu Mon 29-Jun-09 13:25:31

I sleep on my front sometimes (39 weeks) but with one leg out to the side (knee raised) which takes pressure off the bump. I don't have a rock hard mattress though and have noticed I can't lie on the floor or on the garden in the same position, so if you do hae a really hard mattress you may not be able to.

McSnail Mon 29-Jun-09 13:47:04

I've resorted to lying semi-upright with lots of pillows, elephant-man style. It's miserable. Can't wait to be able to lie on my front again.

fortyplus Mon 29-Jun-09 13:52:57

A friend of mine went to the beach and her husband dug a bump-sized hole for he to lie in! grin But apart from that the answer is no.

fortyplus Mon 29-Jun-09 13:53:30

oop 'her to lie in'

YanknCock Mon 29-Jun-09 14:02:19

If it could be done, I'm sure I'd have figured out a way by now. I was sleeping on stomach until about 22-24 weeks. Now 32 weeks and it's been completely impossible for the last month. I also have SPD and sleeping on back is too painful. I am in a giant nest of about 6 pillows and switch sides through the night.

I can get as far as being about halfway between my side and my front, with top leg flung over a pillow. Any further and baby presses into things or starts wiggling and kicking.

Picante Mon 29-Jun-09 14:13:56

Now if it wasn't 30 degrees I'd be well up for the sand idea!

I just want to sleep!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: