Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Goats Cheese...

(4 Posts)
laurawantsababy Mon 29-Jun-09 10:50:38

Im going for a meal next week and the only veggie option is warm goats cheese. If its pasturised its ok isnt it??

lucasnorth Mon 29-Jun-09 11:18:44

Food Standards Agency advice here

I think the relevant bit is:
"Avoid cheeses such as Camembert, Brie or chevre (a type of goats' cheese), or others that have a similar rind. You should also avoid soft blue cheeses.

These cheeses are made with mould and they can contain listeria, a type of bacteria that could harm your unborn baby."

So it's not necessarily whether it's pasteurised, it's whether it's mould ripened (which it probably is, most goat's cheese you get in this country is).

Can you ask the restaurant to do something else for you in the circumstances?

mrswee Mon 29-Jun-09 11:35:47

Hi

also to add - chevre goats cheese is a risk of toxicplasmosis.

But I'm told you can eat any of the banned cheeses if they are throughly cooked.. I never have though as I'm you can never been sure how well someone has cooked something IYSWIM.

I'm not sure how well cook 'warm goats cheese' would be anyway. I would call the restaurant in advance and explain, restaurant are usually very good about all dietry requirements if you give them some notice.

laurawantsababy Mon 29-Jun-09 12:22:45

Thanks both, maybe I will look for somewhere else to eat then. Not worth the risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now