Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Am 38 weeks and I've just woken up and vision out of left eye is blurry...

(20 Posts)
muppetgirl Sat 27-Jun-09 19:48:00

I've had a sleep and woken up and my left eye is all blurry and despite blinking isn't getting an better. Doesn't hurt, nothing in it just blurry. I was resting on m left side.
Don't feel ill just tired and hot!

Any ideas?

Should I be concerned?

Disenchanted3 Sat 27-Jun-09 19:49:21

isnt blurrd vision a sign of pre-eclampsia?

PerfectPrefect Sat 27-Jun-09 19:50:08

A potential sign of pre-eclampsia.

Please call your maternity unit for advice ASAP.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 27-Jun-09 19:50:24

I don't know if it's pregnancy related or not, but you should get it checked out asap. Do you have out of hour GP's where you are? I would phone them if I was in your position.

Hope all is ok xxx

sarah293 Sat 27-Jun-09 19:50:35

Message withdrawn

oopsagain Sat 27-Jun-09 19:51:28

I agree- best to get it checked out soon as you can...
good luck!

muppetgirl Sat 27-Jun-09 19:54:40

thanks all, you read about these things and assume they'll not happen to you. Am on my own as dh is at the cinema with ds and ds 2 is in bed but will call delivery to see what they say. I felt a bit silly before I posted here thinking I was being paranoid...

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 27-Jun-09 19:56:41

Defo give them a call. Good luck

muppetgirl Sat 27-Jun-09 20:02:45

Just phoned delivery and they asked loads of questions -blood pressure been checked recently? Problems in pregnancy? Pain/headache/puffiness etc

None of the above and BP was fine last Wed though I did have sugar in my urine that I hadn't had before so treated as a one off. She siad to go and see the out of hours GP or ring back in half an hour if it's not cleared. She suggests I have something in m eye blush though it feels fine to me.

Feels like when you get a bit of cream in your eye and it takes a while to clear...

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 27-Jun-09 20:07:49

I would see the out of hours GP. He can have a look (as it may not be pg related) and also dip your urine at the same time and check for protein (another pre eclampsia marker)

My friend had a detatched retina recently so I'm being a bit twitchy.

BarbaraWoodlouse Sat 27-Jun-09 20:09:31

Agree with all the above re pre-eclampsia, getting yourself checked out etc but to try to keep you calm in the meantime...

I had exactly the same experience (the eye bit, I'm not pregnant!) when I woke from from a daytime nap this week. I wear glasses and kept wiping the lens but it was fine. I figured I'd manage to squash my eyeball a bit when I slept and it just took a while to right itself. Was fine in about 30 mins

oopsagain Sat 27-Jun-09 20:13:16

deffo get it looked at- i'd get the preg related things checked first so maybe even go to labour ward?
i went there on a few occs before ds1 was born and they moniter you for a bit, do all the checks etc..

and if all of that's fine then i'd get it checked at a proper eye hosp if you can.
I don't really rate most GPs when it coes to eyes tbh.

muppetgirl Sat 27-Jun-09 20:25:31

oopsagain - phoned labour ward and they were the ones who asked all the questions. She didn't seem too concerned as no other symptoms -puffiness/headache etc. She suggested out of hours surgery but this is part of our hospital so seems a bit daft to me to go there, wait hours when I think I just need my wee dipped/BP taken to be sure.

Dh home around 9 and I'll see what he says.

Think I'm getting a headache but could be psychosematic (SP?) now as it's been suggested!

nigglewiggle Sat 27-Jun-09 20:32:46

You must rule out pre-eclampsia first, but it also sounds rather like the symptoms I get with a migraine. I get blurred vision, like looking through a window with water running down it. It's called an aura and often precedes the headache part of migraine. I rarely get the headache though.

Make sure you get it checked out and hope you feel better soon.

oopsagain Sat 27-Jun-09 22:46:16

how's it going?
is the eye any better?

Hope you are ok smile

pickyvic Sat 27-Jun-09 22:53:12

go get it checked - it might not be anything to do with pregnancy - could be anything. dont wait - im an optical assistant (day job) and the number of people i see who just leave things frustrates me! saw someone last week with retinal detachment too far gone to do anything about DESPITE them ringing up for advice earlier in the week and my telling them to go to casualty! drives me mad....go see your optician. dont delay.

oopsagain Sat 27-Jun-09 23:04:44

moorfileds hospital runs a very good casualty- it takes for ever, but the servce is great.
They'll sort it out properly for you.

I had a nasty blurry vision/loss of sight thingy recently and they ahve been fab.

memoo Sat 27-Jun-09 23:14:40

I am 27 weeks pregnat and have had this with my eye a couple of times muppet girl.

I have just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes and was told that it can be a symptom of that.

It might be something to get checked especially seeing as you have had glucose in your urine.

muppetgirl Sun 28-Jun-09 20:36:49

Thanks all, it did get better about 2hrs afterwards. I thought both ees went blurry a litle today but I'm not sure as it was just in the distance, it was fine for near things but all is well now.

I do have migraines though not since 14 weeks in this pregnancy so that's been a bonus smile I usually get a tingly nose which means a humdinger is on its way and I have time to contact dh so he can get home to look after the kids. This one didn't go anywhere though and I had the best nights sleep I've had in weeks ironically enough.

I've been GTT tested at 28 weeks ish and all was fine -due to previous large baby- and are due for a c-section a week tomorrow so really on the final straight.

I'm gong to make a Drs app tomorrow (midwife is booked up the previous week so no chance of seeing her) and will take a sample for them to test.

Thanks all for listening

nigglewiggle Sun 28-Jun-09 21:18:22

Hope all goes well for you. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now