Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Worrying I am going to find out I have miscarried

(12 Posts)
Vangough Fri 26-Jun-09 22:22:59

Just called NHS direct as this aft I had cramping and spotting (I'm 5.5 weeks on 2nd pregnancy), then tonight there is proper new bleeding (not much but enough to worry me) They said try to get into a EPU tomorrow morning but not sure where to try ! is Kings in SE22 open on a Sat?
Typically this is the one night that DH is away on business AND its a Friday night so I doubt I will find any EPU open over the weekend. I am here on my own worrying away ! Am I being hopeful that at such early days this isn't a MMC?

whomovedmychocolate Fri 26-Jun-09 22:26:32

If it is a miscarriage it'll turn into a heavier flow and you will probably experience a lot of cramping. If it's just a bit of blood it could just be the embryo embedding deeper into the uterus. I bled at 6 weeks with DS. Obviously he was okay.

In your shoes I know this sounds daft but I'd wait till Monday - you will know by then if it's a miscarriage and if the bleeding stops you'll find it easier to get decent care and a scan on a Monday than at the weekend.

Sorry you are going through this, it's not good is it? I've lost two and have two DCs so I know how horrible you feel when you are waiting to find out but really, knowing won't change it. You just have to hold onto hope till there's no hope left

Vangough Fri 26-Jun-09 22:33:18

That leaves me with some hope then as the cramping is still pretty much constant but the bleeding is really very little...Actually on my previous pregnancy I was told I had had a MMC (they were wrong) as I had 2 espisodes of intense hideous cramping pain (lying on the floor kind) but that turned out to be nothing in the end. This time I have cramping again (but MUCH less) but with bleeding that I didn't have last time.....sigh. The truth is waiting is the worst bit. I never was very patient.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 26-Jun-09 22:49:54

There is a possibility you were carrying twins and one hasn't made it. But until you have a scan you won't really know. Just hang onto the fact that you are still pregnant today and if you are still walking about and not copiously bleeding chances are things are okay.

I had bleeding with DS but not with DD so I know how it feels to be so lost in this waiting phase.

But you will come through it. Don't assume the worst. Chances are this is random pregnancy bollocks which is sent to raise your blood pressure and make your life more stressful.

Vangough Sat 27-Jun-09 09:24:58

Not feeling particuarly positive this morning as I have more bleeding and cramps are constant now, plus I feel rotten. But I've just had an awful experience. I walked down to my doc surgery on the offchance they were open (they offer a Sat am surgery but don't answer the phone). I was hoping they could give me a referral letter for the EPU locally as you can't go on your own and it would mean I could go first thing rather than wait all day to get a letter, to then go ! However as soon as the woman at the desk realised I didn't have an appointment she was really dismissive with me and told me to leave and call the out of hours number. I replied the out of hours people had told me to try the surgery (I was on the phone to them when the surgery door opened !) The receptionist was then downright agressive and said I had to go. Until now I have been pragmatic about all of this but her horrible behaviour just made me burst into tears. Even when I blubbed I thought I was miscarrying and didn't know what to do, she just said I had to leave and she wouldn't see me. I am not one to cry easily but I guess given the hormones going mad right now she tipped me over the edge. I cannot believe a healthcare worker could treat a patient in such an uncaring way. Even if you can't help, you don't talk to people like that. A woman in the waiting room was more sympathetic, immediately calling out some encouragement. I just got out of there as fast as I could.
Do you know, I left feeling embarressed I had tried my surgery for help and that I was nothing more than a nuisance. Since then the out of hours doc on the phone has insisted I go to A&E today as he says I can't leave it until Monday.
DH is at a work conference and hasn't offered to cut it short, nor was he particuarly supportive on the phone (not his strongest attribute, he always underplays emotions which sometimes is just the wrong thing to do) He won't be back til mid afternoon. Thankfully by chance my Mum is visiting this weekend so will be here in 2 hrs. Thank god, otherwise this would have been a lonely time
Anyway I feel a bit better for writing it all down !!

whomovedmychocolate Sat 27-Jun-09 09:48:33

Oh bugger

Right - off to A&E with you, get yourself looked at - you can bleed a lot with a miscarriage - and you don't want to collapse.

When you are feeling better, call your GP practice and make a formal complaint to the practice manager, that receptionist was bloody inhuman and ought to be fired for that sort of treatment. Jumped up bloody woman, she's there to help not be judgey and horrid. angry

Sorry you are going through this.

mowmi Sat 27-Jun-09 10:41:49

Vangough - so sorry you are going through this - damn that receptionist! How can anyone be so bloody cruel and unfeeling... makes me so angry!
You are probably on your way now but there is a EPU at St Georges where you can just turn up without a referal?

Let you mum look after you x

maybebaby23 Sat 27-Jun-09 12:57:49

Thats awful sorry you are going through this. I have also been made to feel a right pain in the bum at my surgery at times too. Also i had to go to A+E with bleeding at 10 weeks and they wouldn't do anything for me. She was like one of those automated response things, as i was pleading with the doctor to check for a heart beat or scan me she was just speaking over me "no im sorry we cant help you today you need to wait until monday" same thing over and over until i left.

I hope everything is ok for you, i know how scared and alone you must feel. Take care x

Vangough Sat 27-Jun-09 18:20:57

Quick update. Went to A&E at Kings and got seen quickly, they didn't mess around. They reckon its a miscarriage and have booked me into the EPU for first thing Sunday morning - excellent service we thought, seeing me on a Sunday ! DH came home early full of apologies so he came with me. Feeling sad but better and yes, plan to write a very stern letter to my doc surgery....DH was outraged at the receptionist. Thanks everyone you gave some kind words when I was feeling really rather alone !

skihorse Sun 28-Jun-09 08:54:29

maybebaby23 and vangough I am horrified by both your experiences. angry I know people joke about doctor's receptionists being released from hell - but seriously, why are these people going in to "caring" professions? shock

Mind you, the nastiest, self-serving bitch I remember from school went on to become a psychiatrist.

TotallyAndUtterlyPaninied Sun 28-Jun-09 12:36:01

Vangough- sorry to hear you have gone through this. What a horrible time.

Please keep pushing until that receptionist is sacked, otherwise that could happen to someone else. There are too many uncaring people working in the Health Service. Particularly when it comes to pregnant women.

I was refused an appointment when I thought I was MCing with DS, then another receptionist phoned me back and got me referred to EPU, as she had over heared the first receptionist on the phone to me.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 28-Jun-09 17:17:56

vangough so sorry you are going through this and feel for your dh too. He must be mortified he wasn't there when you needed him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now