Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bloody midwife has just had me in tears because I missed my anti D injection today.

(7 Posts)
puffylovett Fri 26-Jun-09 17:30:25

I didn't realise I had an appointment, and she rang me and gave me an utter bollocking. When I asked if it was essential to have it this week, she outright told me if I had an undiagnosed bleed there would be a 95% chance of baby being stillborn. Then when I queried if I could have it with my community midwife, she told me it had to be done in a hospital environment because there was a risk of the mother going into shock hmm Oh, and then she told me that the one I had at 15 weeks only covered me for 6 weeks, then proceeded to explain that you have to have it at 28 weeks so it covers you for the next 14 weeks.

I should've posted this in Am I being unreasonable really, I suppose ! Because am I ? I know I should have been vigilant about my appointments, but it was an honest mistake - I honestly thought my first apt from 16 wks was at 28 weeks & I've been so busy, I've even lost track of how pregnant I am ! I thought I was only 26.5 weeks blush Can't you tell it's a second baby !!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 26-Jun-09 17:31:45

TBH you don't seem too concerned.

Hawkmoth Fri 26-Jun-09 17:40:18

95% chance of stillbirth? I wonder where on earth she got that little gem from. hmm

Mine wouldn't have said a muff if I'd elected not to have it, but I did.

Not a helpful sort of person, but if you want one, ask to be in next week's clinic!

pooka Fri 26-Jun-09 17:44:28

Load of crap - the undiagnosed bleed/95% chance of stillbirth.

There was no routine propylaxsis anti-d when I was expecting dd.

With ds, it had been introduced and the PCT wanted it done at 28 and 32 weeks. I refused.

This time, given that both ds and dd are Rh+ and because I have already had to have 2 loads of blood product after having them, I have had the injection at 28 weeks. But as far as I am aware there is no reason why you couldn't have it next week - why it is imperative that it should be at 28 weeks.

puffylovett Fri 26-Jun-09 17:51:55

apparently because it covers you for 14 weeks, so it covers you to term plus 2 I suspect.

I've booked in for monday morning, but it was her attitude that got me. So bullish.

Nettee Fri 26-Jun-09 17:54:29

she has her facts wrong. if you don't have it at all (but you do have it postnatally) and the baby is Rh + then the next baby has something like (rumaging in memory must learn this now I am a community midwife) er a 1% higher risk of being affected.

We do it on the community but do have to then stay witht he woman for 20 min or so in case of an allergic reaction.

Next week will be fine

madmissy Sat 27-Jun-09 10:48:07

well i never had anyone stay with me after mine with dd1 and dd2?? and i had it in the surgery (other than a extra shot with dd1 after a bleed)

odd...

i think shes just being grumpy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now