Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy after C-section: does it feel different?

(13 Posts)
bluesatinsash Fri 26-Jun-09 16:34:54

I'm 14 weeks pg with DC2 and just wondered if there were any physical aches and pains I should look out for having had a section with DS (emergency but not run-down-the-corridor one).

I'm very obviously pg now which I know is probably down to being 2nd time around rather than having scar but tummy feels very heavy low down.

Are there any twinges that are associated with scar stretching or should I just chill out? I had two mc last year so am in a heightened state of anxiety!

MrsHappy Fri 26-Jun-09 16:39:08

This time around I have had lots of braxton hicks-type feelings low down on my tummy since early on (e.g. 12 weeks), especially when I walk uphill fast and also lots of twinges around my scar area at between 17-20 weeks. Think this latter is the scar and related adhesions stretching.
I think both are normal since the baby looked fine on scans etc and my midwives seem unphased.

bluesatinsash Fri 26-Jun-09 19:34:18

Thanks MrsHappy - anyone else?

l39 Fri 26-Jun-09 19:55:47

I haven't had any pain from the scar. (The caesarean was 8 years ago.) I have had lots of Braxton Hicks though from early on. I didn't associate that with the caesarean until now though I'm pretty sure it didn't happen with my earlier pregnancies. I'm 24 weeks.

GentlyDidIt Fri 26-Jun-09 19:55:49

I'm 32 weeks now, and have had c-section & mc previously (sorry to hear about your losses, bluesatinsash)

I did find the late 1st and all of 2nd trimester caused some soreness in a horizontal line across my naval. That's where it hurt the most after my section, too (not so much pain around the visible scar) so I assume that's where internal, um, muscles and other bits of anatomy I can't remember the names of blush were cut & repaired. However now that my tummy has got to quite a big point, I think the nasty bits of adhesion stretching are largely over.

In some ways it's made dealing with pg after mc easier; when I feel a pain, I can say to myself "That's just my c-section stretching" and try to squash the inevitable "Here comes a miscarriage" feelings.

Good luck and congratulations!

HeinzSight Fri 26-Jun-09 20:49:55

I had a c-section less than two yrs ago and am now 33 weeks, I honestly can't say this pregnancy feels different in terms of my scar but I have had more ligament pulling pains on the sides of my lower abdamen, I don't know whether this is related. This is my 4th pregnancy.

SarahL2 Fri 26-Jun-09 21:15:03

bluesatinsash - are you me?

I'll be 14 weeks on Sunday, and had a emergency but not rushed C section when I had my DS 2 years ago! I look way more pregnant than I thinkI should and am already in my maternity jeans!!

I had a miscarriage in January.

So far, i've noticed that (what I assume are) my ligaments have been much more sensitive this time. All I have to do is move wrong and I get shooting pains around my groin - this worries me cause I had sharp pain across my scar for a few days before I miscarried. Baby looked fine on the scan and I swear I can already feel the occasional flutter of baby moving. My morning sickness would seem to indicate baby is going to be a genius too wink

I'm definitely stiffer and less stretchy this time.... I hope it's normal

bluesatinsash Sat 27-Jun-09 10:31:24

Thanks for replying ladies and Sarah - I'm also convinced I can feel baby move around smile hmm. My morning sickness has been of biblical proportions too and is still with me at 14 weeks but as you say if it means baby is growing strong and brainy then so be it!

I was/am so keen to have a VBAC this time too but since the mc's it doesn't seem as important, just having a healthy baby put in my arms is all that matters now smile.

Heinzsight - I remember you from 'Due in Aug' - 33 weeks - wow! Not long now smile.

Talking of morning sickness, better go eat, the familiar nausea feeling is rising in my throat.

SarahL2 Sat 27-Jun-09 12:53:08

There is a 'Due in December 09' thread, if you're not already on it, come and join us

bluesatinsash Sat 27-Jun-09 14:17:07

Thanks Sarah but vowed not to join another ante-natal as had to bow out of due in April and Aug one's and I don't want to jinx myself - yes even at 14 weeks.

I do lurk now and again to 'compare notes' smile.

GentlyDidIt Sat 27-Jun-09 21:51:31

"Pregnancy after miscarriage" thread might be the place for you then that lot really helped me get to 3rd trimester!

anniebigpants Sat 27-Jun-09 21:58:31

Hi Blue-i too had em cs with DS, same as you, it wasnt dash down the corridor , i waddled down to theatre,stopping to have contractions. I havent noticed any pain around scar, but am having much more twingy pains lower abdomen than this stage with DS.i wasnt sure if this was to do with it being 2nd DC or with having CS.
I have to be careful turning over suddenly in bed or getting up quickly as i get sharp pains at sides of abdomen.
Im almost 18 weeks now.

Singstar Sat 27-Jun-09 22:07:57

Hi, there is only 15mths between my two and I had an emergency cs first time round. With my second, I was huge really early on, felt the baby really early on but didn't really have any pains from the scar as such. Although reading other people's comments I do remember having bad abdomen pains although I just put that down to having the kids so close together. Oh and my belly button popped out second time (v. wierd !!)

I would be prepared for being encouraged to have another cs when the time comes though.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now