Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Survey: how much weight did you gain in the first trimester??

(34 Posts)
bubblesincambridge Fri 26-Jun-09 13:59:01

I'm 11 weeks and 5 pounds increase so far. Not sure if that's too much or not, but I'm hungry so who cares! Very interested to hear what other weight gains there were at this stage.

Niecie Fri 26-Jun-09 14:02:54

I lost about 4lb in the first trimester with both of mine.

Nausea ruined my appetite and even if I wasn't feeling sick and was hungry I was very quickly full up and couldn't eat much in one sitting.

LaDiDaDi Fri 26-Jun-09 14:06:26

2lb each time but started 2lbs up second time and ump looks much more prominent imo.

BlueChampagne Fri 26-Jun-09 15:59:26

I was up 3 or 4kg by the time I had my triple test bloods (DC2).

PeppermintPatty Fri 26-Jun-09 16:08:33

I lost weight in 1st trimester, but I had bad morning sickness.

More than made up for it in 2nd trimester though and put 1.5 stones on in a couple of months shock

Cies Fri 26-Jun-09 16:10:40

I lost 0.5 kg in first trimestre because I started on levothyroxine drugs which sped up my metabolism and made me lose weight even though I was eating normally and had no vomitting. smile

Doctorskidaddle Fri 26-Jun-09 16:11:19

think it also depends on your weight to start with - if you are underweight/very slim, I think you tend to (and should) put on more than if you are overweight/obese

MrsHappy Fri 26-Jun-09 16:21:19

None.

I lost a couple of kilos in the first 8 weeks and then they slowly crept back on so I was level-pegging by the time I had my scan at 12 weeks. Since then, though, loads I reckon.

MrsHappy Fri 26-Jun-09 16:22:05

I reckon Doctorskidaddle is right - I was not slim to begin with and so didn't need to gain IYSWIM.

hanaflower Fri 26-Jun-09 16:25:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wigglesworth Fri 26-Jun-09 16:26:49

I was about the same as you OP, about 4 or 5lbs. I wouldn't worry about it too much at this stage, alot of people lose weight in the first few weeks of pregnancy due to morning sickness and total lack of enthusiasm about food in general.

brightonbleach Fri 26-Jun-09 19:13:38

lost weight 1st trimester but have now gained 4lbs, am at 22 weeks at have a noticable tree-trunk bump! I wasn't small to start with and we think i have lost weight around the bump itself, so bump and all accroutements probably account for more than 4pounds i imagine.... who knows what i will have put on by the end, trying to be careful!

Twig79 Wed 08-Jul-09 11:12:52

I'm 7 weeks and have been on crutches since week 3! I will be on crutches for another 3 weeks so despite having no appetite what so ever, and feel sick, i've put on 5lbs!! but thats through not moving anywhere and sitting on my arse for a month!

chaya5738 Wed 08-Jul-09 11:16:58

I put on about 7kgs (15lbs). I think that was because I was probably underweight to begin with (had just run a half-marathon).

But then my weight-gain levelled off and I have not put on much in my final trimester, which is when you are supposed to put on the most apparently.

carmenelectra Wed 08-Jul-09 11:18:08

I put about half a stone in first trimester with current pregnancy which felt like a lot(im normally about 8 and half stone) and if i remember rightly i did the same with last baby. I think mainly due to bloating/constipation and non stop eating due to hunger and nausea!

Eased off now. IM 18 WKS and reckon in total ive gained about 10 or 11 pounds. only tummy though.

blondieminx Wed 08-Jul-09 11:23:53

7lbs so far and am nearly 13 weeks. Still have a BMI of 21 though so happy with that! Am also on levothyroxine but consultant is happy with current TSH level of 1.4. Obs consultant says to eat more cake...well if it's doctor's orders!!! grin

crumpette Wed 08-Jul-09 11:24:40

I'm 14 weeks now and I have gained 6kg...eeek....

McSnail Wed 08-Jul-09 11:32:57

I'm eight months pregnant and have refused to weigh myself. I was weighed by the midwife at the very start, but since then I've stayed away from the scales!

I'd just rather not know - I might weigh myself a few months after the birth. I might not. I'll see how my clothes feel.

Longtalljosie Wed 08-Jul-09 11:39:09

I think I'd put on the same as the OP - 5-7lb ish. But now in my final trimester I'm not putting on that much - have gained just over a stone and a half in all.

And I went entirely for the "I'm hungry so who cares?" attitude. But I can see if you've always struggled with your weight you might have to be more careful / scientific than that.

CatIsSleepy Wed 08-Jul-09 11:42:07

maybe 1 or 2 pounds i think

dal21 Wed 08-Jul-09 11:42:36

I had hollow legs in first trimester with DS and gained a stone. Was underweight when fell pregnant, so not sure if that had something to do with it. But then only gained another stone the rest of the pregnancy.

Southwestwhippet Wed 08-Jul-09 12:01:46

Haven't actually wieghed myself but I started out very slim (BMI of 18) as I wasn't a great one for sensible eating.

Since getting BFP I have began eating properly for first time in adult life... consequentally put on about a stone in the first 6 weeks (BMI now 20) - after this weight seemed to stabilise. I do think if you are underweight to start with, you will most likely put more on at the start

Being someone who is very weight consious with tendancy towards crash dieting/not eating I am staying away from scales and just trying to eat healthy.

blondieminx Wed 08-Jul-09 13:27:51

Southwestwhippet - with a BMI of 20 maybe you can follow my obstetrician's orders too eh! wink

I'm quite concious of weight too - but I figure that given I'm going to be preggers over the winter then it'd be good to keep bubba cosy with a small amount of fat! And eating properly will get our bubba's off to the best possible start. Good luck with your pregnancy smile

MamaLazarou Wed 08-Jul-09 13:34:32

11+2 and no weight gain so far. I am slightly overweight already (BMI of 27), so no need.

bumpsoon Wed 08-Jul-09 13:51:26

16+5 and have put on 2 and a half pounds so far ,overweight to begin with though grin. Midwife said 7 llbs in the first six months is a good amount

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now